ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-03, 11:17 AM
wilmill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES300 Goodbye

I returned my '03 ES300 to my dealer yesterday for the final time. I had received no satisfaction from Lexus concerning the ECM hesitancy problem. The 04's (IS,GS andES) have the same response lag, by the way. I submitted my concerns to an arbitration panel of three provided by the Florida Lemon Law, and after listening and road testing the vehicle, they directed Lexus to buy back the car and return all monies I had been charged. I had spoken to a software engineer at Lexus' headquarters before going this route, and he told me that they are working on a new fix, but could not give me a timetable for its completion. I just thought I would let any of you out there with the same problem, know that there is a solution. I was very impressed with how efficient the Lemon Law works in Florida.
Old 12-23-03, 11:52 AM
skang5
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Updated ECU for 03' ES300

After updating ECU for my baby, i clearly noticed the change in shift point. However, it did not eliminate the hesitation at low speed completely. With new shift point, the car performs better with smooth gear changes,so I recommend it.

I guess this hesitation is related to lack of torque in Lexus's 3000cc engine. I testdrove RX330 and ES330, the tranny felt much smoother without any noticible hesitation.
Old 12-23-03, 12:36 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still think it is a combination of electronic throttle and ECU programming to be ULEV compliant.

The RX330 and ES330 are ULEV-II compliant so I am sure this recatigorization allowed Lexus engineers a little more wiggle room in their programming allowing for what less hesitation may have been acheived compaired to the 02/03 ES300.

steviej
Old 12-23-03, 02:46 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

skang5

I guess this hesitation is related to lack of torque in Lexus's 3000cc engine.
You guessed WRONG! I have driven two ES330's and I could replicate the hesitation on both. I also spoke to a few owners of RS330's and they also complained about this.
If you want to read more about the '04 hesitations go here> http://autos.msn.com/research/userre...m=all&lang=all

Last edited by amf1932; 12-23-03 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-14-04, 06:37 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i think the problem lies in the program which the tranny was built on. If you look back when the 2000 celicas were made, people were driving their cars like idiots with the paddle shiftters becuase they'd double shift + the paddles were real sensitive and they'd shift down two gears and that would redline their engine. Toyota prolly doesn't want the same problem... especially on a 30+ thousand dollar car so they lagged it up a little bit and refuse to fix it. if the problem persists, they're just gunna fix it on a newer model and call it good.
Old 06-14-04, 07:35 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally posted by steviej
I still think it is a combination of electronic throttle and ECU programming to be ULEV compliant.

The RX330 and ES330 are ULEV-II compliant so I am sure this recatigorization allowed Lexus engineers a little more wiggle room in their programming allowing for what less hesitation may have been acheived compaired to the 02/03 ES300.

steviej
I agree with you on this. People are forgetting throttle by wire that plagues the newer Toyota/Lexus models and gives this very vague awkward acceleration and pedal feel. Alot of these arguments and speculations are pretty much lack of common knowledge of the electronic control units our cars have. It's the computer that senses throttle position and opens and closes the throttle body and shifting accordingly. But most people here experiencing these "so called replecated problems" are experiencing the actual behavior of the computerized systems in your cars.
Old 11-23-04, 01:10 PM
thelangs
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer offer

I have a 2004 ES330 with the same tranny problem. I've been back to the dealer 3 times, called Lexus, emailed Lexus with no help. The dealer called me yesterday and offered me a 2005 GS300 for my ES and $10K. Dealer is firming up his offer - when I asked about what options, he said equiped as my ES (6-disc changer, leather, and accessory package). He said that he is not making any money on the deal. My ES has 16000 on it. Does the GS300 have the same tranny problems and is this a good deal? Seems to me that the dealer is making something on this.
Old 11-24-04, 06:04 PM
muldrick
Rookie

Default Re: Dealer offer

Originally posted by thelangs
I have a 2004 ES330 with the same tranny problem. I've been back to the dealer 3 times, called Lexus, emailed Lexus with no help. The dealer called me yesterday and offered me a 2005 GS300 for my ES and $10K. Dealer is firming up his offer - when I asked about what options, he said equiped as my ES (6-disc changer, leather, and accessory package). He said that he is not making any money on the deal. My ES has 16000 on it. Does the GS300 have the same tranny problems and is this a good deal? Seems to me that the dealer is making something on this.
I'm sure the dealer is making "something" on that. But regardless I think the decision is yours. (whether they're making something on it or not). Is the deal worth it? Then do it.
Can't tell you if its a good deal, you'd have to do some research. What the value on your ES? Is the GS worth 10K more?
No, the GS does not have the same tranny concerns.
Let us know what you decided
Old 11-25-04, 08:34 AM
thelangs
Driver School Candidate

I checked the Lexus used car list, and the cheapest ES330 is 27950. Since the dealer is doing this to keep a customer happy, and make up for selling a customer a defective car, I felt that 27950 would be a good number to put on the value of my car. Seems to me that I am the only one taking a hit; the dealer is making a couple of dollars on the deal. So, I am putting up 37950 for a car that has a dealer cost of 34k.
Seems that both of us should be taking a hit.
Old 12-28-04, 08:37 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

very interesting read.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com...345/424551.stm

steviej
Old 12-29-04, 03:53 PM
johnwal
Driver School Candidate

Default Transmission on '03 continued....

My first post...here goes:

Thanks for all the info on the transmission situation. My 2003 ES300 is no different than anyone else's it seems. The dealership has been great, as always, but warned that the chip-flash was not reversible. He said that most were happy with it, that they had done "a number" of them but a few didn't like it and I guess they are stuck. He recommended that I run a few tanks of Chevron Supreme through it and see how I feel then. I will try it and advise.

BTW, in that I have seen many on this forum that have gone with the K&N filters, I asked the service manager if he had an opinion and he recommended against doing so. Sorry, I can't give the technical description of what issues he foresaw, but whatever.

Thanks very much for the December 2004 article, I watch with great interest. I do love this car otherwise, it is great. I'll read on to figure out how you folks insert pics of your cars and I'll show mine. It's black on black. Windows tinted to 20%. Factory chromes. I put the Sherwood dash kit in it and it turned out great. I guess I'll have to come up with some interesting moniker.

- jw
Old 01-13-05, 10:23 PM
johnwal
Driver School Candidate

Default Running Chevron Supreme...

Well, I am in my 3rd tank of Chevron Supreme and my car is performing a lot better. My plan is to wait to see if Lexus comes up with a better fix.

John
Old 02-01-05, 09:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The real underlying problem with these transmissions lies not with Lexus or its engineering department but in Washington with the EPA and in California with CARB. Emission standards are simply getting too tight....to the point of gross overkill. Today's cars emit less than 1% of the emissions of the late 60's level...yet somehow it is NEVER good enough. They keep wanting to make it still lower....it never stops.
Instead of getting after automakers, car owners should be lobbying Congress to either freeze emission standards or roll them back a little.
Old 02-02-05, 12:15 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: '02 ES Transmission Fix!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The real underlying problem with these transmissions lies not with Lexus or its engineering department but in Washington with the EPA and in California with CARB. Emission standards are simply getting too tight....to the point of gross overkill. Today's cars emit less than 1% of the emissions of the late 60's level...yet somehow it is NEVER good enough. They keep wanting to make it still lower....it never stops.
Instead of getting after automakers, car owners should be lobbying Congress to either freeze emission standards or roll them back a little.
I agree the wacko environmentalists is where 'some' of the blame should be placed. But on the other hand Lexus could have produced the 2002, 2003,and 2004 ES without this problem. Friends of our purchased a 2005 ES four weeks ago and it doesn't have the hesitating jerky shifting problem our 2003 ES had. I say had ...... because I had the ECM reprogrammed and it only just hesitates now and not jerky like it was. The 'fix' doesn't cure the hesitancy problem.

GCrim21
Old 04-21-05, 01:58 PM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Anything like this to become available for the '04 ES 330's? I have a SportDesign.

Quick Reply: '02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!