ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

'02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 06:08 AM
aminklein
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 ES330, horrible transmission

I have an almost new 2005 ES330 with only 2000 miles. The transmission performance is the worst I've ever experienced in any car or truck. I've tried everything, i.e. rebooting the transmission computer, using premium fuel, with no effect. According to my dealer I've had the most recent transmission download, but the hesitation and lurching at low speed acceleration continues. Both Lexus and my local dealership respond in the same way. They feign surprise and say that they cannot identify the problem. They are basically trying to ignore the problem, which appears to be endemic to 2002 to 2006 ES330s and 300s. The problem is just too "in your face" to ignore. I've complained to Lexus and Northborough Lexus in MA numerous times. I've also complained to every trade publication, fed and state agency that I can find. The National Highway Transportation Safety Admin has several other complaints. My most recent complaint to the MA Attorney General's office has produced a mediator in the case, but it's all voluntary on the part of Lexus. I'm so disappointed in the car, and more dissappointed in the response of Lexus.
Old 09-03-06, 08:34 AM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

I hesitate to throw this idea out, but has anyone considered legal action against Lexus? I called Lexus customer NO service last week asking for some relief or consideration on a trade in. I received a call from my local dealer with insulting numbers. In other words, Lexus corporate refuses to chip in $ for the sake of good will. I visited a a dealer yesterday who offered me $11,000 trade in for my 02 ES 300 with 66K miles in otherwise excellent condition. Their lot is full of ES 300/330's. Everyone seems to be dumping them and the value of the car is taking a huge hit. I am thoroughly frustrated with the response from Lexus. I've owned 4 Lexus cars in the past 9 years and I think I'm through giving them my loyalty and money. Anyone have any ideas? I think it's past the time of just simply complaining.
Old 09-05-06, 07:07 AM
X72
Driver School Candidate

909dude, if you are serious about selling your car, you might get more for your car if you sell it to a used car superstore (ex. carmax). You will lose the sales tax break on this type of sale unless you buy another car from the same dealer.

If you have the time, money, and desire, you can try legal action. Most people would rather spend their time and money doing something else than fighting and would rather just dump the car and move on. Good luck and please let us know what you decide to do.
Old 09-05-06, 09:43 AM
woodgrain
Driver School Candidate

Default Camry Equivalent Problems?

Does anyone know if the equivalent Camry has the same transmission problem? I couldn't find much about it online, and certainly there are plently of 02 - 05 camrys on the road. If the Camry doesn't have this problem - why not - don't they have the same transmission? Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-06, 07:44 PM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

X72

I went to CARMAX yesterday. They offered to buy my car for $13K. Looking at KBB that's about $1600 UNDER trade in value. What is interesting is that Tustin (CA) Lexus doesn't want ES trade in's. They refer all of their customers to CARMAX. I have NEVER experienced taking such a hit on a used car trade in as I am now. I counted up 18 Toyota Motors cars I've owned since 1976. Up until now, Toyota has been very fair in dealing with quality issues. Apparently, the company has realized just how screwed up their car is and tallied up the $ liability it would take to make people happy. The management decision was to ignore it until it goes away. Meanwhile WE are eating their poor engineering and lack of customer service in the form of dollars lost. This behavior is exactly how GM, Ford, and Chrysler lost it by building junk. Until we as consumers make noise they will get away with hosing the public. Perhaps other people have extra packets of money to throw down the rat hole, chasing a better car to drive. I simply will not accept it.
Old 09-06-06, 05:59 AM
X72
Driver School Candidate

909dude, 13k was exactly what I thought you would be offered. I recently sold my sisters 02 IS 300 sportcross to Carmax with about the same mileage as your car and got 13k for it. She wanted a new 325i and can afford it.

If you do decide to sell the car, be sure to research and test your next car well. Manufacturers are moving to automatic transmissions with 5 to 8 gears with software to maximize fuel efficiency; the downside being lag/hesitation issues in some cases.

My girlfriends 99 4 cylinder Camry transmission is a pleasure compared to the ES IMHO. Sure, the car doesn't have power and the transmission will frequently downshift, but the shifts are clean and there are none of the issues that the Lexus/Toyota 5 speed automatics have (that is if you are sensitive to this kind of thing).

If depreciation is an issue for you, I recommend you buy used or you buy less expensive new cars. The new model 07 ES is certainly depressing used ES value. The ES has a 6 cylinder engine when used car buyers sensitive to higher fuel costs are looking for 4 cylinder vehicles.

Not all Toyotas have this issue. Try a Corolla and I bet you will be pleased with the way it drives. The new ES is reported to be fine, but I am hesitant to recommend any 1st model year vehicle.
Old 09-06-06, 03:48 PM
Wassa786
Driver

Default someone help us!

Originally Posted by Wassa786
hey, I own an '02 Es300 and I love it. I mean it may not be fast going to 60, but once you past 100....it flies, and downshifting to 4th gear......thats alotta fun (if you've ever tried to max your es) but ya... mine holds the road fine, no problems, not sure if they gave me the fix or not, but I got it august of last year (05). is there a way to check if you've had the fix?
Wow, after I said that earlier in january, I just got a shock!
Now too long ago, I just got the battery replaced, and the ES held up for a week or two, but then suddenly, the tranny started jerking, ALOT!

I called the dealer, and the mechanic was like, "its just getting use to your driving...just drive it for a solid hour and it should be fine."

Can I say these mechanics are idiots?

I drove the damn car for almost an hour and a half, and the problem remained. I did at first imagine it might have been the transmission learning my driving habits, but not with jerks like that.

So, I don't have warranty on it anymore, but it's only got 40k miles on it. Am I still covered for the update or do I have to pay that 86$ or w/e it was? Not much but still, its money :-P

I just hope it fixes it

Thanks to everyone.
Old 09-08-06, 06:04 AM
copy252
Driver

your still covered. it goes under the power train warranty. the reg warranty has run out on my 02 es300 also and i just got flashed like a month ago. if i were you, i wouldnt tho. it sucks big fat ****
Old 09-11-06, 02:48 PM
Wassa786
Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by copy252
your still covered. it goes under the power train warranty. the reg warranty has run out on my 02 es300 also and i just got flashed like a month ago. if i were you, i wouldnt tho. it sucks big fat ****
CRAP! I just read this right after I got the flash...son of $%@#.

At first, I was like, YES! It fixed it! But then, after a day, I drove the car, and the same effing problem! Is there any way to fix it now?!

Can I take it back to the dealer and tell them?
Old 09-12-06, 06:58 AM
aminklein
Driver School Candidate

Default 2005 Lexus ES 330 Transmission

I've been complaining for over a year to both Lexus and my local dealership. Their response is very consistant. They claim that they don't think that there's a problem with the car.

As of today the NHTSA has over a dozen complaints regarding this problem. The Center for Auto Safety has about seventeen complaints, and ask if you are interested in being part of a Class Action Suit when you file a complaint. I have a complaint pending with the MA Attorney general's office, and they plan to assign a mediator (voluntary). You can find literally thousands of complaints on the various internet forums. Lexus needs to be forced to address the problem.

Art M
Old 09-13-06, 04:03 PM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

Well fellas/gals I just unloaded my ES 300. I purchased a 07 Infiniti M35. What a pleasure to drive a car that was engineered properly. I will NEVER purchase another Lexus vehicle. They have lost a very loyal customer. Since 1976 I have owned 18 Toyota/Lexus vehicles. After talking ad nauseum to Lexus Corporate, I simply gave up. They DO NOT care about us.
Old 09-13-06, 05:52 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 909dude
Well fellas/gals I just unloaded my ES 300. I purchased a 07 Infiniti M35. What a pleasure to drive a car that was engineered properly. I will NEVER purchase another Lexus vehicle. They have lost a very loyal customer. Since 1976 I have owned 18 Toyota/Lexus vehicles. After talking ad nauseum to Lexus Corporate, I simply gave up. They DO NOT care about us.
Not to sound disloyal to Lexus, but I find your comparison observation right about your recent Infiniti purchase. I read in the latest Best of Consumer Reports that the M35 is rated as the best luxury sedan. This brand new vehicle is definitely a work of art, and may certainly help bring the Infiniti brand and image back up to speed amongst the luxury class. Could Lexus keep up with the competition these days? We shall see
Old 09-14-06, 06:41 AM
X72
Driver School Candidate

Congratulations 909dude! Wishing you the best.

I salute those that like to fight the corporation like aminklein based on their principles.

lexusk8, I think Toyota/Lexus will do fine with their new ES even if it has some isolated cases of issues with the new transmission. They can steer someone interested more in driving performance to the IS which I feel is a more direct competitor to the M35 than the ES is in terms of driving feel.
Old 09-20-06, 09:23 AM
aminklein
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 330 transmission

Well, after about a year of complaining to various government and private organizations, I have finally heard from Lexus. After filing my complaint with the MA Attorney General's office, the eastern area representative of Lexus contacted me. She stated that Lexus was willing to re-purchase my car. She said that she would soon send me a letter with a formal office.

I purchased the 2005 ES 330 in August of 2005. It now has about 2200 miles on it and is in virtually NEW condition. I don't have high expectations about the offer, but I'm eager to see it.

The original MSRP price in August 2005 was $35,259 with options and without transportation. Their offer, however, will be based on what I actually paid. Any guesses what they will offer? I'll post the amount when I receive it.

Remember to send a lot of complaints, not only to Lexus, but to other agencies and organizations.
Old 09-20-06, 10:10 AM
woodgrain
Driver School Candidate

Default 1500 mile feedback - 2003 es300

Well I wanted to give some additional feedback. I've just passed the 1500 mile mark since I purchased my used 2003 es300. As you can see if you read my past posts, I was somewhat concerned about the transmission issues, so I wanted to share my thoughts now that some time (and miles) have passed.

First, I don't personally find its nearly as bad as its made out to be. I don't know if some cars suffer from this issue more than others, or some model years, but after driving 1500 miles I don't really notice the problem at all anymore. I think this is a combination of my driving style, my adapting to the transmission, and the supposed adaptive transmission changing to my style. The way that I drive (mixed highway and city, casual driver, not sporty), I don't have any issues. I'd buy the car again if I had the choice to do over - I love it.

The other comment I'll make is about the scope of this issue online. Reading on club lexus had led me to believe this was a huge issue and I had potentially made a mistake getting this car because values were falling. I think this is way out of proportion. In fact, I searched around the internet, and on this forum, and there are really only a small number of individuals with specific complaints. Definitely double digits (someone add them up and post links - you'll be suprised). Not hunderds or thousands or complaints as has been stated here. Only a small number of complaints have been filed officially w/ various agencies, etc. Now contrast that with the number of es300s on the road. Now add in the number of equivalent Camrys on the road.

I think there IS definitely something a bit annoying or different about the transmission behavior, but I think its something MOST (I'm talking high 90s percent) drivers adapt to and don't have a problem.

That said:

aminklein - I don't intend to disparage your efforts. If you are truly this unhappy, I encourge you to pursue resolution and I hope it works out well for you. I would hope a company like Lexus will try to resolve things. I am curious if your car is 'worse' than mine, or if its a driving style difference. Do you drive fast/sporty? fast off the line etc? Maybe I would feel different if I had bought the car new, but I've really grown to love my es300...

Sorry if it seems like I'm ranting, but I feel like someone needs to defend this generation es3x, because I love this car and I think it gets a bad rap on here. and NO, I DON'T work for Lexus (maybe unhappy users work for Ford! ).

cheers -
jt

Quick Reply: '02-'05 ES Transmission Fix!