ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Definitive Info on Coach & Platinum Editions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 01:30 PM
Scolirk
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Definitive Info on Coach & Platinum Editions

Hey everyone,

I'm putting together a video on a 1999 Lexus ES 300 that will be published on Monday. We had some success with our previous video on a 1998 GS 400 and I was able to get a lot of good information for the video from this site. I'm hoping to do the same with the XV20, but I'm finding the special editions to be a little difficult to get exact information on. I did find a website that was willing to sell me a high-res PDF of the original sales brochure, but truthfully it's cost outweighs the actual money I'm going to make off the video. Here's what I've found by searching through this forum, and I want to make sure it's as accurate as possible so I represent the car properly in the video.

Coach: Produced for 1998, 1999, 2000, and 2001 model years. Added Coach Edition badging to the front fenders, floor mats, and embossed on the sides of the front arm rest. Included perforated leather seats, wood grain steering wheel, and chrome accent door handles on the interior. It seems the 99 model had 2 unique paint options with 1 standard paint option, and the 2001 MY had 1 unique paint choice and 2 standard.

Platinum: Produced for 1999 and 2000 model years. Added Platinum Edition badges to the front fenders and floor mats. Included the option of perforated leather seats, wood grain steering wheel, and a unique wood trim throughout. Not clear about paint options.

Please let me know what I've missed, or what is incorrect. We're focusing specifically on North American models only, so anything sold outside of the US or Canada doesn't apply to my videos. I'd also love to know what options would have been available throughout the XV20s production run. I've gathered that these were the options available depending on the years: Heated seats, power moonroof, Nakamichi audio, automatic headlights, cloth seats, auto-levelling HID headlights (facelift). This website is certainly the best resource for learning about these cars, and I hope I can contribute with an honest and truthful video about this car. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-09-17, 03:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Coach was 99 and 2001 only. 99 had different wheels, badging, different leather, and had wood trim round the top center vents. The 2001 has different leather, badging, wood wheel and chrome inside door handles and different wheels.

Millennium was 2000 only and had different leather badges wood wheel and different wheels. I️ could be wrong, but I️ believe Canada had a special edition model as well, but t was similar to a millennium, just called something else. Don’t believe Xenon headlights were standard though as I’ve seen both editions with just halogens.

As for paint colors, you’d know better than me, but I’ve only ever seen beige, black, and silver millennium editions, maybe white as well. Coach I’ve seen white and black only, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t come in others. AVS which is adjustable suspension was also an option, albeit extremely rare.

Last edited by RXGS; 11-09-17 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 04:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Millennium Edition did not come with a wood steering wheel. It has birds eye maple trim, and same wheels and emblems as the Platinum. AFAIK came with standard HIDs with self leveling. Owners manual is packaged in a leather binder with Millennium Edition embossing.

There are no external badges indicating the edition the entry sill plates have Millennium Edition badging. The seats are the same as Platinum Edition, someone correct if wrong. 2000 model year only obviously, and only sold in Canada.

https://imgur.com/a/zTCv7
Old 11-09-17, 05:19 PM
Scolirk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Millennium Edition did not come with a wood steering wheel. It has birds eye maple trim, and same wheels and emblems as the Platinum. AFAIK came with standard HIDs with self leveling. Owners manual is packaged in a leather binder with Millennium Edition embossing.

There are no external badges indicating the edition the entry sill plates have Millennium Edition badging. The seats are the same as Platinum Edition, someone correct if wrong. 2000 model year only obviously, and only sold in Canada.

https://imgur.com/a/zTCv7
That is really clean! And it also complicates things haha. Would you be willing to allow me to use some/all of these images in my video? We'd place a by credit on the video for each image used, and can share a link in the video description if you like. Alternatively we don't have to include any information on the video if you'd prefer not to but still would like us to use the images. This way I can at least include some idea of what the facelift/Millennium Edition would bring.

Thanks!
Old 11-09-17, 05:21 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Just scratch everything I said about millennium and replace it with platinum, my bad.
Old 11-09-17, 05:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Where will this video be published?
Old 11-09-17, 05:36 PM
Scolirk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Where will this video be published?
The video I'm working on will be titled 1999 Lexus ES 300 TestDrive Spotlight, we typically feature older luxury cars like this. We show all the features, take it for a drive, and go over a quick buyer's guide. The video itself will be published on our YouTube Channel at www.youtube.com/perpetualradio along with being embedded on our written review for the ES 300 we filmed (though we won't be using any of your photos for the written review) on www.perpetualradio.ca. We did a quick live stream this past Monday of the car, but you can check out any of our TestDrive Spotlight episodes to see what the final product will look like.