ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ABS/ TRAC OFF light on

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-17, 05:09 PM
Vsierra
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation ABS/ TRAC OFF light on

Hello all, I am working on a 2000 ES 300 and the ABS light is on and the TRAC OFF light blinks slowly whilst driving. I took it to a buddy who works at lexus and hooked it up and found two codes for the front and rear right side wheel speed sensor. The rear's wheel bearing was shot and the reluctor wheel were moving all over the place, so I replaced it, then the front was no doubt the sensor as it was dirty and had many metal shavings present. The reluctor wheel looked fine on the front. Haven't driven it yet after the repairs but I was wondering if there is a procedure to clear the codes/ecu to recognize the new hardware to see if it fixes the original problem which was,( along with the lights ), not going into overdrive, highway speed 65-70 would be near 4K on the tachometer.

Thanks for reading I hope to hear from someone soon
The following users liked this post:
irishman88 (12-12-19)
Old 11-09-17, 08:08 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I think if you pull the battery it'll clear the ABS/body codes like it would regular powertrain codes. Then just drive off, once the wheels start turning it'll recognize them just fine.
Old 11-09-17, 09:28 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,831 Likes on 2,393 Posts

I've replaced ABS sensors and the codes went away after a few hundred feet of driving.
Old 11-10-17, 08:01 AM
Vsierra
Driver School Candidate

Update: Okay it was indeed after a few hundred feet the lights went out, good gravy.
But something happened, the vehicle vibrated like it was misfiring, the CEL came on and as well as the TRAC OFF light but this time it stayed illuminated and the CEL was flashing, instant no no for those cats, so I brought it back the few hundred feet and it parked it and it was misfiring still vibrations help me assess that for certain. P0300 P0302 P0304 P0306. Whole left bank was misfiring, just read about the OCV on these to probably be the prime suspect. I should note that these codes were also on the sheet that I had mentioned previously when I took it to my buddy at Lexus. But it wasn't feeling like this, or so I may have neglected since whomever sold the car to the person I am working on it taped off the CEL, TRAC OFF, and ABS light. Go figure, so I am probably more than certain it is that since it started up fine and idled really well then driving it it went kaput.

I took an ohms test on the OCV and it was 8.05 Ohms, not sure of the specs on these if someone can help I would appreciate it.
I also read that there was a design change on these, is that credible? Left bank is flat and one has a dimple on the right bank (the one that is working).
Old 11-10-17, 09:03 AM
Vsierra
Driver School Candidate

Another update: turns out the owner (my brother) knew of this problem and had ordered the OCV and it was in the glove box, I replaced it and there are no more lights, Yay! And now it runs nice on the highway, no more high revs or no strange noises,

TLDR: below if you want to read about another problem this car had.

WHICH I should point out to anyone that has ever heard their car sound like a giant vibrator on wheels, what I am referring to is a loud humming that is coming from the car near the left rear underside of the car, and if someone happens to find this and say, "hey that's what mine was doing" the charcoal canister has a diaphragm (or two) on the canister itself, and this one in particular went away when you accelerated and when you let off it would start humming LOUDLY again, I ended up having it on a rack, you could probably just do it on the ground or on jack-stands and start feeling where the vibration is coming from on the canister, or what I did was start hitting things with a big screwdriver and see if the noise goes away. I did find it that way, when I hit the diaphragm on the charcoal canister it went away, and I noticed a gas smell and sure enough like other Toyota when the charcoal canister itself goes bad, the tank will create a large pressure and pop the tank and one of the things you notice is some gas vapors, I had a buddy with an AE92 and he went through 5 gas tanks, yes really, before he ended up getting a charcoal canister from a PnP. So there hope this comes in handy for others. (I replaced both the tank and charcoal canister assembly with new parts to fix this)

CONTINUATION:

BUT now on to the next problem that I need to address and its the cruise control, the cruise control light will turn on and when I tried to set it it will just flash. So I would like to know about this system from this forum and what I should do next. Thanks again, I appreciate the help thus far
Old 11-10-17, 09:30 AM
Vsierra
Driver School Candidate

Alright last and leastly I found out why it wasn't turning on, the connector wasn't even on it! It was dangling under the front mount!!
Welp fixed!
Old 11-10-17, 09:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,831 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Originally Posted by Vsierra
Alright last and leastly I found out why it wasn't turning on, the connector wasn't even on it! It was dangling under the front mount!!
Welp fixed!
That will do it! Nice that you got it fixed.
Old 11-10-17, 09:52 AM
Vsierra
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again!
Now I get to do a headlight restoration!