ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

thinking of getting '03 ES...too old?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-17, 04:46 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default thinking of getting '03 ES...too old?

Hi everyone, i have been looking around at used lexus's. I had my heart set on an LS, but not many around and might not be a good choice for us.
I came across a 2003 ES 300 being sold at a dealership. It has the 3LT v6 engine. My questions are:
1. do these cars age well? it seems to be in good shape with little milage.
2. Are they very reliable?
3. is the v6 engine peepy enough, or is it a slouch?
4. does this engine have timing belt or chain? if belt what should be interval for change?
5. How does the car drive? sporty/responsive handling?
I think this would be good as we get good amounts of snow here. The LS is RWD, which i can manage well, but not sure my better half will like it?
Let me know whatcha think?
fab
Old 11-25-17, 10:57 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 383 Likes on 333 Posts

A little time looking at reviews can answer the handling questions.

Otherwise:

1) Yes.
2) Yes.
3) Yes.
4) TB. 100k.
5) Like an "ES" - "E"xecutive "S"edan. Sporty, responsive? No. "ES" like? - yes.

The LS is a lot more car (and I'm in the market for one), but the ES is not bad at all. The 02+ ES has no fatal flaws and is capable of great longevity with normal maintenance. It has unique quirks like all cars wrt driving characteristics and maintenance, but none are expensive or terrible. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if I had a need and the price was fair (not "cheap," just fairly priced).
Old 11-28-17, 07:19 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

The engine is peppy, but the transmission is lazy. Test drive in stop and go traffic and see if you like it.
It drives like a luxury sedan. Very smooth and comfortable on the highway. Not a zippy nimble sporty city car.
Old 11-29-17, 03:08 PM
Carlhmarc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 ES 300. It has 276,100. It handles nice, extremely quiet, no leaks, AC works, Had to change Tranny at 250K because something broke it..other than that is is a solid 8.5/10

reason for 8.5 is because of its age and wear and tear. I am a huge toyota fan so this car is excellent in my opinion.

common issues: I think power windows sometimes mess up easy, maybe alternator , I've heard power steering (I've had slight issues with)

granted everything in the car is original minus the tranny so the car is doing well for its condition
Old 11-30-17, 08:11 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

update. Well i haven't seen the 2003 yet, I'm a little on the fence as it seems to have had an accident, not sure of the damage and very frequent service records. It's interesting, lots of people i speak to about cars only care about mileage, or that over 8 years old it's OLD ( i say old is gold..hahah). Although this 2003 has little mileage, i'm worried about the rest of the stuff!

I did however, come across a 2002 model. When i take the average mileage/year it comes to just shy of 10 000 miles/year, which to me, is not that bad (right now has about 147 000 miles). i inquired about maintenance, and was told that the timing belt had been changed a while back. It was also stated in the ad that the oil changes where done around every 3000miles with synth. oil. it hasn't been accidented and by the pics, there is no rust and body and interior look clean.
Should the millage for this year car, be of concern? any things i should look out for?
OH YA, not sure if the plugs and coils have been changed, BUT, i know that the rear coils are a pain to get to as you have to take off the manifold. To do this job, is it expensive and at this millage, should i be concerned? thanks
fab
Old 12-01-17, 06:00 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 383 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by fabchef
update. Well i haven't seen the 2003 yet, I'm a little on the fence as it seems to have had an accident, not sure of the damage and very frequent service records. It's interesting, lots of people i speak to about cars only care about mileage, or that over 8 years old it's OLD ( i say old is gold..hahah). Although this 2003 has little mileage, i'm worried about the rest of the stuff!

I did however, come across a 2002 model. When i take the average mileage/year it comes to just shy of 10 000 miles/year, which to me, is not that bad (right now has about 147 000 miles). i inquired about maintenance, and was told that the timing belt had been changed a while back. It was also stated in the ad that the oil changes where done around every 3000miles with synth. oil. it hasn't been accidented and by the pics, there is no rust and body and interior look clean.
Should the millage for this year car, be of concern? any things i should look out for?
OH YA, not sure if the plugs and coils have been changed, BUT, i know that the rear coils are a pain to get to as you have to take off the manifold. To do this job, is it expensive and at this millage, should i be concerned? thanks
fab
The plugs are not hard to do, just time consuming. The oe plug interval is 120k IIRC, so they are overdue - something to use when negotiating but not a deal breaker. The rear valve cover gaskets (if not both) should be done, too, if it’s at 150k mileS. The 4es only has 3 drivetrain lower mounts and the upper stabilizer strut. All need to be checked at higher mileage. Watche the engine while revving the car to see if you need to check mounts individually.
Old 12-01-17, 06:07 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The stock plugs are theoretically good for 100k, but there was a discussion here or on Toyota Nation recently about how iridium plugs really should be changed by 60-70k. As per RockAuto, OE plug is the NGK 4589. I wouldn't change the coils until they pose a problem (read: start misfiring).

Some people have changed plugs on the rear bank without removing the plenum. I always take it off because I'm a stickler for the factory torque spec on the plugs. Not really that hard, worst part is getting the stays on the back of the plenum and the throttle body.
Old 12-01-17, 09:01 PM
fabchef
Intermediate

Hey gang, i did a search and found a nice video of how to change the rear plugs by removing plenum. Is there one of how to do it without removing plenum???? If you just up the car and slide under engine, is it possible to get to them this way? just a thought...?
I will be checking out the '02 tomorrow. It's been a little frustrating as a few people have mentioned to me that the car is quite old. I usually go by: maintenance, average yearly milage and if it looks to be in good shape. Am i the only one that sees it this way?
I am a little worried however, as this car seems to have the rare AVS (adaptive suspension). I can imagine each shock being quite pricey, is it really that bad? is there something i should look out for?
thanks again guys...fingers crossed.
Old 12-02-17, 06:07 PM
ES300TX
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I own a 2003 ES with 129000 miles on it. Other than a small valve cover gasket oil leak, it's fine. It needs new struts, springs as I don't like soggy ride of an older set. I'm not sure whether the prior owner replaced them or not, but I do know that the car bottoms out when cold. After a few blocks, it tigtens a little.

I bought the car at 100k miles. I don't think that the spark plugs have been replaced, but I am going to press them until next spring.

My car is driven city and highway. I frequently drive it 100+ in the straights, but the car is not known for cornering. I can push it through some turns and have learned most of its quirks.

It is a mostly roomy, quiet, and competent sedan. I agree with the comments that the car has a lazy transmission. I frequently kick down a couple of gears for better acceleration. You have to hold it down or it will upshift. Due to the severe service I am placing on the transmission, I plan on changing the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles.

Gas mileage is about 27 on a long freeway trip with overall cruise at 75-80. Bursts to 100 occasionally. "Combined" is around 22. Suburban/City is about 19-21.

I recommend the vehicle as you can get it anywhere from $4000-6000 all day long in very good condition. I do admit I have been tempted by the LS lately, but my priorities are just to stay put at the moment.
Old 12-02-17, 06:11 PM
ES300TX
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fabchef
Hey gang, i did a search and found a nice video of how to change the rear plugs by removing plenum. Is there one of how to do it without removing plenum???? If you just up the car and slide under engine, is it possible to get to them this way? just a thought...?
I will be checking out the '02 tomorrow. It's been a little frustrating as a few people have mentioned to me that the car is quite old. I usually go by: maintenance, average yearly milage and if it looks to be in good shape. Am i the only one that sees it this way?
I am a little worried however, as this car seems to have the rare AVS (adaptive suspension). I can imagine each shock being quite pricey, is it really that bad? is there something i should look out for?
thanks again guys...fingers crossed.
With the older cars, just check the condition of the bolts underneath for rust. Also check the condition of the control arm bushings by taking off a wheel. It is a pain in the *** to change the control arm as you have to jack the car up at a couple of points to reach them. I hope I don't have to do that for another 100k if I keep this vehicle. From what I have heard, these V6 engines are fairly indestructible and the transmissions are okay. Good luck. Regarding the suspension, I would look into replacing adaptive suspension with regular struts when it becomes time. I wouldn't fool with it.
Old 12-04-17, 07:06 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Many examples of the 3.0 liter (1MZ) can be seen past 500,000. There were 4 avalons for sale AT DEALERSHIPS nation wide with 400,000 when I was shopping. I didn't look for ES but its the same thing. The big cost for a non-mechanic is the exhaust, when and if it goes, and it commonly does.

The car has plenty of power, as a luxury car would, but its not for "speed" as much as it is for getting up to speed without being aware of mechanical chaos under the hood. For quiet, smooth NORMAL driving, not open throttle starts for fun. Timing belt at 100,000 is not for the faint of heart DIY person, but I did my Honda v6 which is supposedly worse. It wasn't a big deal. $600-800 to have done for you. Do the water pump, too as you'll save trouble later.

The car isn't a nimble sport sedan like a 3 series or IS, both of which are RWD cars aimed at people who'd rather be on the track than on the way to soccer practice. The ES is to provide comfort. It handles decent enough.

I am 30 years old, and I love the es. I have my 3rd. I have owned mostly "luxury" cars. I prefer the sacrifice of handling over the 2 325i, 1 is250, and 1 infiniti "G" that I've also owned, as most of my driving is in a straight line and the ES does that much better.

Great car, would buy again, and again, and again.