ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Head Gasket leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 10:58 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Head Gasket leaking

Just found out that my 98 ES300 has a small head gasket leak basically only when the car is cold (which is only going to get worse). Leaking in combustion chamber when cold and not when hot. The car has 246K on it and to fix it- it’s worth more than the car. I’m on the fence to spending money on this, but the interior is in great shape the the body is 80% good besides the rear quarter panels. I don’t have the space to do the job myself.

Should I bite the bullet and pay for the job?

Appreciate any feedback- thanks

Last edited by whooodat; 12-22-17 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-21-17, 12:25 PM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

IMHO- If it was my car I would not replace the HG. Given the mileage and age the economics don't add up. I am not a fan of "mechanics in a bottle", but in this case I would try BlueDevil head gasket sealant. Or just continue driving it until it stops!
Old 12-21-17, 06:06 PM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Is it the front bank? Somewhat easier to do than the rear.

And yeah, I wouldn't pay for it. If you want to DIY, it will probably run for a helluva long time after...but then again, should probably do both banks at the same time.
Old 12-22-17, 09:30 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

nsghtbrwry- When they check the coolant going into the combustion chamber I believed they did the test on the front (easiest), but to find out 100% probably have to take the heads off they its Pandora's box from there (do the heads need to be resurfaced.. then more $$$$).

Yeah if I did the job power steering high pressure hose would get replaced and along with TB and WP since there already have everything apart. The labor time kills the whole deal for me!

How much do I sell my HG car for?
Old 12-22-17, 09:46 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

HomerJay- I appreicate your response, that's what I was thinking of not fixing it because of the huge labor cost.

I had a buddy put BD in a car that had a HG leak and the thing last only 3 days after.
Old 12-22-17, 10:36 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by whooodat
nsghtbrwry- When they check the coolant going into the combustion chamber I believed they did the test on the front (easiest), but to find out 100% probably have to take the heads off they its Pandora's box from there (do the heads need to be resurfaced.. then more $$$$).

Yeah if I did the job power steering high pressure hose would get replaced and along with TB and WP since there already have everything apart. The labor time kills the whole deal for me!

How much do I sell my HG car for?
Couldn't tell ya man, I live in an area where people ask too much for badly-maintained 3ES's. If it hasn't actually overheated and your straightedge checks out on the head(s), you should be fine with not resurfacing. I don't remember when they switched from composite to MLS gaskets for these, might have coincided with the VVT engine, might have been earlier.

It may not get worse quickly, or it may start to eat coolant like there's no tomorrow...tomorrow. Yeah, maybe sell it to a wrench-savvy kid who needs a car for a few hundred, and get yourself another. These are excellent cars, after all.
Old 01-30-18, 09:16 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

RIP...... Already miss the 300! Sold it 3 weeks ago.
Old 01-31-18, 04:51 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Just out of curiosity, in a case like this, wouldn’t a complete used engine ($700ish) be the cheapest and easiest way forward? I know you got a 5ES (congrats) and this one is sold, but just wondering for the sake of conversation
Old 01-31-18, 05:46 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Just out of curiosity, in a case like this, wouldn’t a complete used engine ($700ish) be the cheapest and easiest way forward? I know you got a 5ES (congrats) and this one is sold, but just wondering for the sake of conversation
Yep. Then you know its ok, especially if lower mileage. Most used engines come with some kind of warranty.
Old 01-31-18, 06:19 AM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Acarapella I could have done that and was thinking that....but:
  1. The labor cost of pulling the engine and dropping in the new one was going to be a heavy price to pay. If I had the space then maybe I could pull it off.
  2. It needed new suspension all the way around.
  3. The rust on the quarter panels and roof was coming back (3rd time for the quarter panels being fixed).
It was just time to move on from the car.
Old 02-05-18, 05:57 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Oh! Now it makes sense. I walked away from an Avalon that was actually a better deal than my car as it needed $0. 50,000 more likes but elderly owned with an open checkbook and receipts to prove it. The only issue was that it had a quarter sized rust spot half under the windshield. To me that was a deal breaker as I can’t fix it and wouldn’t trust someone else to

quarters SUCK. been there, done that. So I understand. My 2009 Odyssey is starting... my new approach is going to be buying a ridiculously larger-than-needed section cut from good car and weld it, Seam seal it, paint. Spray cans, nothing perfect, just better than rust. I’d love a tree to fall on that van, get her a Tahoe (or Land Cruiser with 200,000 miles lol) and call it a day.

Enjoy your 5ES. Lovely cars. Consisted trading my Avalon for one but wouldn’t have saved money so I sold and used the positive balance after loan paid to get my 3.0ES
Old 02-05-18, 06:49 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Rust by the windsheild is the kiss of death, usually means that the glass could have a small crack somewhere that can absorb moisture. I just taped off mine and sanded to bare metal slapped on some Osho 605 metal treatment, then primed and painted- done.
Old 02-12-18, 04:17 AM
acarapella
Advanced

This place is the salt capital of the world. We use more than any any other metropolitan area, as I understand it. Sometimes it comes out of the back of those trucks the size of a pea or even a pinto bean sometimes. Even if you are far behind, they bounce up and wack your car. If they hit the 90° bend as the roof goes under the windshield, as improbable as it may he because it’s such a small area, the paint chips and if ignored, it turns into why I walked away from that Avalon. Such a shame. In that case, I knew I couldn’t get to all of it, so it would either crack the windshield or start a hole above it. Shame