ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

04 E330 blowing cold air on driver side with hot on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 04:59 PM
jettglx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My drivers side was warm and passenger side was cold. I took out the motor that operates the blend door, which was located on the passenger side under the dash, and had to push the worm gear back down.

It sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke
Here is a RX330 on the drivers side, you see the arm does not want to stay in position. Its the worm gear more then likely. If you can go through the trouble of taking out the servo motor, then just open it up and snug down the worm gear

Last edited by jettglx; 01-31-18 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 05:41 AM
SSMotors
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VicSWFL
Greetings:

I posted a week or so ago that I had the same problem with my 2003 ES300. Lots of heat on the passenger side and no heat on the drivers side. After doing the whole glove box disassembly I witnessed and/or felt the servos operating as the HVAC controls were changed. The problem is on the drivers side and easy to access. The hardest part was getting upside down in the seat after reclining it and looking to the right and above the gas pedal. The offending servo is in plain view after bending the carpet down a little and can easily be removed by extracting three Philips head screws and disconnecting the electrical connecter. This servo is supposed to respond to the changes in the drivers side temperature control. Mine didn't move at all. I removed the screws and disconnected the electrical connector and opened the servo via the easy-to-break clips. Fortunately only two broke and enough remained to hold the case together. I looked inside and then applied voltage to the little motor with a 9 volt battery to the pins on the connector. Nothing happened. I then applied the same 9 volts directly to the two pins on the motor itself and it worked. I reversed the polarity and the motor spun in the opposite direction. Upon closer examination I discovered that the motor was not "snapped in" completely to the clips that link the motor to the connector on the servo case. I pushed the motor into the clips and applied voltage to pins 1 and 2 on the connector and the motor spun in both directions and the arm moved just fine. A safety note: I thought about using the 12 volts in the car battery for these tests and immediately saw the danger in having that much amperage on two probes only millimeters apart. Use a 9 volt battery like those in your smoke detectors and the test will be easy and safe. You may have less luck than I had and either the motor or the whole servo will need to be replaced.

I had read about marking the arm before disassembly. I didn't do it but easily got the servo and the control in proper registration by first noting that with the servo out completely, the drivers side was cold with the heat on. Again with the servo out I lowered the temp control on the drivers side to read "COLD". I then, using the 9 volt battery, moved the servo arm until it was in the proper position to mount on the car and engage the arm for the "door" which it adjusts, without moving the door. I installed the servo with the three screws and connected the power from the car to the servo. I crossed my fingers and started the car. The drivers side now has heat when heat is desired and cold when cold is desired. I hope this helps. I should mention that you can see if this servo is working or not by watching it or just putting a finger on it (if you don't want to get upside down in the driver's seat) and feeling for any vibration when the driver's side temperature control is moved from cold to hot. The attached photo of the servo installed is just to show that it is readily accessible without any interior parts being removed. Apologies for my diminished photographic skills while upside down.

Good luck,

Vic
Fort Myers, Florida
2003 ES300 Millennium silver w/123k miles

thank u for the guidance on video simply removed and tighten down motor on servo