ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

04 E330 blowing cold air on driver side with hot on passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 11:17 AM
djw1960
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 04 E330 blowing cold air on driver side with hot on passenger side

I have an 04 ES330. Great condition. It is really cold out right now and my goes out to take the car to the store. The passenger side blows hot air, but the driver side blows cool air, which feels much colder since it is 15 degrees outside. Any input would be great. I am going out to check the antifreeze here in a minute. As as a side note, the seat warmers work.

Anyone have this issue before?
I replaced the servo behind the glove box a few years back, so no noise from there. All though there has been a little one from behind the stereo every now and then.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 01-02-18, 12:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,572 Posts

Sounds like a mixing servo/door is not working properly.
Old 01-02-18, 01:11 PM
VicSWFL
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I'm have the same situation in my 2003 ES300

Greetings,

I've got exactly the same situation in my 2003 ES300. Can anyone tell me where the mixing servo is located and I can either fix it right away or set it so it's equally distributing the conditioned air. It's gotten cold, relatively speaking, here in Southwest Florida.

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Vic
Fort Myers, Florida
2003ES300 w/123K miles

Old 01-03-18, 08:26 AM
djw1960
Driver School Candidate

I have located the part for the mixer, however, there is two part numbers. 87106-41041 and 87106-41051. Anyone know what the difference is?

thanks
Old 01-03-18, 09:14 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

041 is right side
The following users liked this post:
djw1960 (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 09:30 AM
djw1960
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
041 is right side
if I am looking at it right the should be like one on top of the other. with the bottom one which operates the right side and the top the left side?
Old 01-03-18, 10:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I was looking at this diagram

http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/2...ng-cooler-unit
Old 01-03-18, 10:46 AM
djw1960
Driver School Candidate

Lexus2000 it looks like that the one on the left is the bad one if that controls the driver side. That being the case I have my work cut out for me!!! That will be challenge to get to.
Thanks for the diagram.
Old 01-09-18, 10:02 PM
CSH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2003 ES. I'd love to know how your repair went, djw1960. Thanks!.
Old 01-12-18, 09:07 AM
VicSWFL
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Greetings:

I posted a week or so ago that I had the same problem with my 2003 ES300. Lots of heat on the passenger side and no heat on the drivers side. After doing the whole glove box disassembly I witnessed and/or felt the servos operating as the HVAC controls were changed. The problem is on the drivers side and easy to access. The hardest part was getting upside down in the seat after reclining it and looking to the right and above the gas pedal. The offending servo is in plain view after bending the carpet down a little and can easily be removed by extracting three Philips head screws and disconnecting the electrical connecter. This servo is supposed to respond to the changes in the drivers side temperature control. Mine didn't move at all. I removed the screws and disconnected the electrical connector and opened the servo via the easy-to-break clips. Fortunately only two broke and enough remained to hold the case together. I looked inside and then applied voltage to the little motor with a 9 volt battery to the pins on the connector. Nothing happened. I then applied the same 9 volts directly to the two pins on the motor itself and it worked. I reversed the polarity and the motor spun in the opposite direction. Upon closer examination I discovered that the motor was not "snapped in" completely to the clips that link the motor to the connector on the servo case. I pushed the motor into the clips and applied voltage to pins 1 and 2 on the connector and the motor spun in both directions and the arm moved just fine. A safety note: I thought about using the 12 volts in the car battery for these tests and immediately saw the danger in having that much amperage on two probes only millimeters apart. Use a 9 volt battery like those in your smoke detectors and the test will be easy and safe. You may have less luck than I had and either the motor or the whole servo will need to be replaced.

I had read about marking the arm before disassembly. I didn't do it but easily got the servo and the control in proper registration by first noting that with the servo out completely, the drivers side was cold with the heat on. Again with the servo out I lowered the temp control on the drivers side to read "COLD". I then, using the 9 volt battery, moved the servo arm until it was in the proper position to mount on the car and engage the arm for the "door" which it adjusts, without moving the door. I installed the servo with the three screws and connected the power from the car to the servo. I crossed my fingers and started the car. The drivers side now has heat when heat is desired and cold when cold is desired. I hope this helps. I should mention that you can see if this servo is working or not by watching it or just putting a finger on it (if you don't want to get upside down in the driver's seat) and feeling for any vibration when the driver's side temperature control is moved from cold to hot. The attached photo of the servo installed is just to show that it is readily accessible without any interior parts being removed. Apologies for my diminished photographic skills while upside down.

Good luck,

Vic
Fort Myers, Florida
2003 ES300 Millennium silver w/123k miles

The following 2 users liked this post by VicSWFL:
djw1960 (01-15-18), SSMotors (05-21-20)
Old 01-15-18, 07:05 AM
djw1960
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the detailed info on this servo. I went down to the local Lexus dealer and purchased a new one, for $170 and change with tax. They matched the price on lexuspartsnow.com. They originally wanted well over $200! I haven't swapped out the servo's yet, but amazingly it has started working again! I will wait until the weather warms up a bit before diving into little project. I will try to post some pics of the process for everyone to see.
The following users liked this post:
ledz84 (10-11-22)
Old 01-20-18, 12:26 PM
djw1960
Driver School Candidate

Well the weather finally warmed up enough that I could get out in the driveway to get after this repair. I found the part on Lexuspartsnow.com fro about $161 and change, plus tax and shipping. I called the local Lexus dealer here in DFW, Dallas - Fort Worth or metroplex area, and asked if they had the part in stock. They did and told me the price was $240! He mentioned something about matching any reasonable price, so I told him about the one found on the website, he agreed to that price! That is the employee pricing, so not bad!

It takes about 30 minutes to get it all done. I performed a few extra steps just because if in the future a new stereo might in the works.

I pulled out the trim around the shifter and the AC control box too. I figured by pulled the box it would cause all of the computers and controllers to reset when reinstalled. Don't know if that is necessary or not.

I pulled down the trim under the steering wheel to access the servo motor. There is a phillips head screw on the right that you can easily see and 10mm bolt that is hidden on the left hand side under the door trim where it meets that trim piece. Pull it loose to access the head of the bolt. The rest of it is clips that you just have to work loose to get it out. There are multiple electrical attachments down there too. All of them have quick release style attachments. I took all of them off to completely remove the panel. This allowed me so pull down the carpet and access the motor.

The motor is held in by three screws and the electrical hook up. It is ackward to get to where you can easily see it. So, I took a picture of it with my phone, which allowed me to see what the setup was. When is stalling it make sure that the arm from the motor goes into the slot for the door then, reinstall the screws. I reinstalled the ac control box next and applied power with the ac off. This allowed all of the computers to reset. I then started the car and went thru all of the settings to confirm that everything worked.

The last thing was reinstalling the trim panel under the steering wheel. All in all it took about 30 minutes to do the entire job. Plus the time to go to the parts store.

The tools required are minimal.

- phillips head screw driver ( a small one)
- 10 mm socket
- flat trim pulling tool for the console and trim panel.

I hope this helps. I am going to try and upload some pictures for you to see what it all looks like.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help. I probably saved $500 doing this myself.
Attached Thumbnails 04 E330 blowing cold air on driver side with hot on passenger side-img_4880.jpg   04 E330 blowing cold air on driver side with hot on passenger side-img_4879.jpg   04 E330 blowing cold air on driver side with hot on passenger side-img_4881.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by djw1960:
CSH (01-26-18), ledz84 (10-11-22), LeX2K (01-20-18), LimpnLexus (05-31-19)
Old 01-30-18, 03:08 PM
djw1960
Driver School Candidate

So another update on the issue. When I replaced the servo, I also removed the control on the dashboard to allow a bit more light onto the subject. I did a test after finishing up and ran the temp all the way to high heat and then on COLD. Both worked just fine. However, now there seems to be an issue with temp control. If it is set on COLD the air coming out of both sides is cold, like it should be, but when you bump it up a bit to say 69 it starts blowing really hot air. I am wondering what the issue might be now. When I reinstalled the control unit, on the dash, I turned the ignition on to let it run through a startup process to maybe reset all of the settings seeing as how it was disconnected from power for a bit.

It there some way to check what the issue might be now? Can i pull codes to determine what the issue is?

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-30-18, 04:10 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I can at least stir you in the right direction. There is a certain sequence of buttons that you can push on your climate control unit that will show relevant trouble codes on the climate control screen.

Unfortunately I'm away from my resources, so I don't remember what that sequence is. I'm sure however that Someone else will chime in with the information, or perhaps you can do your own search in the interim.
Old 01-31-18, 01:35 PM
djw1960
Driver School Candidate

I remember doing that about 4 years ago too. I am going to did through my stuff to see what can be found. I was hoping to just disconnect the unit with the doors in full cold, then reconnect it again to see if they cab be resequenced or something like that.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 04 E330 blowing cold air on driver side with hot on passenger side