ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Toyota T IV vs MaxLife vs Castrol

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 05:20 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
As a guy who prefers to buy 10-15 years old with 100,000 miles and service records , sealed trannies scare me scare me. Even the best maintained cars won’t have had drain fills because it’s not even recommended by the dealer. Sad. I guess down the road I’ll budget for a rebuild. And get TIS for drain/fills.
Sealed transmissions are the way of the future. I bet people thought the same way when chassis parts (bearings, axles, ball joints, tie rods, etc) started coming in as non-greaseable.

I felt the same way as you before I bought my GS350 over a year ago. The first thing I did was drain and refill the transmission. Thankfully the fluid was still red so I know the previous owner had it changed (apparently Canadian vehicles have tranny fluid as a recommended service and US vehicles don't).

It is messier than if it had a dipstick, as I used a fluid pump to get the fluid from the bottle into the fill port. Nevertheless, it shouldn't be a deal breaker since your only doing a drain and fill once a year to keep things fresh. You don't necessarily need TIS, there's a check procedure to tell if the temperature is right to "check" the fluid level.
Old 01-13-18, 01:20 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 435 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Based on the cold check method, at 48°F this morning, it still showed low. It was bright red, and smelled like fine cologne, but low. Very frustrating that these dipsticks are so unclear… I added more, car drives the same. Not bad, no slipping, just “lazy”
While I am not “happy” you are having the same dipstick problem, I am glad you have noted the same weird inconsistency in the dipstick. It took me a while to figure it out and have been recommending cold checks since then. I imagine it has to be some ridge or casting feature in the housing that holds fluid in close proximity to the stick after movement and splash effects.The lazy shifting is likely just the nature of these vs your other experience and not an issue.
Old 01-14-18, 10:05 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Speedkar it’s good to know it’s doable. Just happen to like high mileage cars with service records and that is now excluded. But I know a trick... I have a gallon bottle With a clear plastic tube going through the All the way to the bottom, and a hole drilled on the handle. A very light amount of air hose pressure into the hole, in the fluid in the bottle is forced up through the clear tube… I used this system to do a Toyota hybrid transaxle fluid change… They have a total of 3.8 quarts of Toyota world standard, and all of it drains out, you just put back in 3.8 quarts and your gorgeous.

Oro,

I too find comfort and I’m not the only one with the issue, but wonder which is the truth… Hot check, or cold check. If it’s cold Check, good, but if were wrong, and the hot position is right, we’re technically over filled by about a quart. How bad is that? Depends on the transmission. Some foam, others dont care, some “dump” the extra. And glad normal u150e are lazy. I won’t complain if she gives me 350,000
Old 01-15-18, 06:11 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Here is a general question temp help me better understand automatics… If somebody is driving a stick, and is in, say, third gear at 3500 rpm’s, , And let’s off the gas, and pushes back on it again, the car will kind of lunge forward and back as soon as they get off/get back on the Gas. Why is this not instant and an automatic? I assume it has to do with the torque converter, but I know modern ones like a U150E have lock up clutchs. I never tried this in my old style turbo 350, and obviously can’t for quite a while because I’m not driving a 70-year-old car in subzero salty weather roads. This isn’t a complain about my transt just wanting to better understand how things work…
Old 01-15-18, 07:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,034 Likes on 2,549 Posts

The torque converter lock-up disengages when you let off the gas pedal. This is accomplished via the throttle position sensor and of course the ECU.
Old 01-16-18, 04:57 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Makes sense. I ALMOST used a TH350C, which is a lockup converter th350. I was going to build a circuit for it that would have it lock under certain condition. One was vacuum, another was the brake light switch. I forget
the third but I decided I didn’t want to experiment being that that car doesn’t have a removable transmission crossmember (yet). Someday it’s getting a 700r4 or a 4l60e, the latter being mated to a EFI vortec and it’s ECU. I care about drivability more than I can about looks when my hood is open.

Pardon the departure from Lexus.

So the “delay” I described about is actually the ECU’s delayed reaction between the pedal and the throttle plate?
Old 01-28-18, 10:30 AM
edwardh11
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

do dealers still sell T-IV? its sunday I cant call
Old 01-28-18, 07:05 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Most certainly - any dealer worth their salt should have more than enough in stock. I pay $5.02/qt at both dealers that are 14 miles from me