ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

300k miles club! - 8 to 300k miles ; my journey with this awesome ES

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 03:32 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by tomf
What??? You think the P0420 is caused by a bad IACV?? I never heard of that being a cause. I sure would be interested in hearing if replacing the IACV solves the problem. Let us know the result, please.

Congrats on the 300K. I'm at 199k now.
I hear you. P0420 started along with cranking issue which I had with IACV. I cleaned IACV few times, no cranking issues so far. However, P0420 appears infrequently. Since P0420 pop-ups, I decided to change upstream oxygen and AF sensors. Purchased them at Amazon and took them to dealer. Dealer returned them saying current oxygen and AF sensors are good, no need for replacement!. They told me to take care of IAVC (to fix P0420 as well) when time permits as that doesn't cause drivability issue.

I too couldn't find any posts linking IACV to P0420. Will let you know the outcome once I replace IACV.
Old 01-11-18, 03:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,417 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Thanks for the tip, will try that....
Be warned you are using a heavy abrasive so there is potential to damage the glass.
Old 02-15-18, 03:50 PM
NikS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you keep the leather seats in your car looking so new??
Old 02-15-18, 06:44 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

This car is in better shape that most cars with 1/3 the mileage. I know the ES is reliable, but the car's condition is all because of the owner. Hope to see it go for much longer.
Old 02-15-18, 10:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
You can improve visibility greatly by polishing this is how:

-cover entire car with plastic except the windshield
- mix "orange" hand cleaner the type that contains pumice with a rubbing compound, 70% hand cleaner
- Use a medium cut pad/power polisher and go to town

The process it slow it will take several hours. Beats replacing the glass, especially if it is factory. The deepest chips you won't get out.
I guess that's worth a try if you have the time and are handy with the buffer. Worst case you **** the glass up worse and just end up replacing the windshield anyways. I had the same problem with my truck that had like 170k on it at the time, couldn't see out of the windshield if the sun was at the right angle due to all the pitting. Finally got a huge rock to hit it and crack it real good. Best $250 I ever spent lol, you don't realize how bad it is until you get a new windshield.
Old 02-16-18, 12:28 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by NikS
How do you keep the leather seats in your car looking so new??
I do frequently clean and apply leather conditioner. The key is to prevent them from drying. In winter months I keep a small water bottle with lid open to help humidifying.

Direct Sun or inside high heat due to summer can be bad as well. Using windshield covers help reduce direct Sunlight (UV) as well heat produced inside.

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
This car is in better shape that most cars with 1/3 the mileage. I know the ES is reliable, but the car's condition is all because of the owner. Hope to see it go for much longer.
Thanks 02SDGS!. I agree that I put extra efforts to maintain the cars. However if they are not build right, it is not going to last long.

Likewise hope to see many more mile!.
Old 02-16-18, 03:21 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Although using conditioners certainly does gel, most of the wear on the leather seats is caused when you slide in and out of the seat. As evidence where the wear is.

That’s why it’s best to use a seat cover at least for the bottom cushion.
Old 09-22-18, 08:35 PM
ATLAndrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 216k

i have done a lot to my RX 300, (2000) 15% tint driver and passenger window( including those tiny windows that are obnoxiously by the front windshield ).5% on ALL back windows, including the 2 extra windows in the trunk, over the factory tint. And a 45% tint on windshield. It looks amazing. I have a subwoofer installed, a Bluetooth connection audio in relplace of the CD changer, and HID headlights.
Rx 300 headlights are reflector headlights, the white light will spray everywhere, I get occasional high beam flashes, but when I flash my halogen daytime runners, they are like..what?! and drive by. I wouldn’t suggest HID headlights in reflector housing unless you have strong enough tint that is willing to embrace flashing high beams.

I have been in 3 accidents in which 2 of them were me stopped at a red light and drivers ramming me behind. (45mph plus, I have no idea how my frame wasn’t completely destroyed)

i caused an accident turning left at a light, saw no one coming, was wrong, and I had fluid leaking everywhere. It needed a new realignment and a new transmission cooler. (About $1700). I never replaced the dent on my fender, as it had damage to the frame. I didn’t care so much about windshield wiper fluid(which was ebolished in the accident). I popped out the front bumper myself.

Other than that I take it to my independent Lexus mechanic.

no issues on my end right now, I drive about 6 miles a day and moved inter city to avoid additional mileage.

My mechanic says I will it make it to 300k easily.

Last edited by ATLAndrew; 09-22-18 at 08:46 PM. Reason: HID HEADLIGHTS IN REFLECTOR HOUSING
Old 09-25-18, 06:28 AM
harrisbaig
Driver

I bought my 99 six years ago at 120K. now it is about to roll over 200K!
I have been very happy with the journey so far.
and am encouraged by you to even go further.
any tips to help me go over 300K?
The following users liked this post:
RaffGS300 (09-11-22)
Old 09-25-18, 07:14 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisbaig
I bought my 99 six years ago at 120K. now it is about to roll over 200K!
I have been very happy with the journey so far.
and am encouraged by you to even go further.
any tips to help me go over 300K?
Maintain all fluids, filters, and belts. Inspect for loose, worn, or rusty components at least once a year.
harrisbaig (09-25-18)
Old 09-25-18, 07:39 AM
harrisbaig
Driver

timing belt and struts were changed at 120K. we have changed the serpentine belt, alternator battery and brakes.
we change dino oil every 3K.
air filter regularly. got transmission oil drained and refilled recently for the first time ( it was turning rust color).
recently had steering pump replaced, I guess that means it has new oil now.
any thing else?
somebody mentioned using lithium grease lubrication on the front struts. is that something that is recommended?
does it require a differential oil change?
thanks
Old 09-25-18, 10:12 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

timing belt and struts were changed at 120K. we have changed the serpentine belt, alternator battery and brakes.
we change dino oil every 3K.
air filter regularly. got transmission oil drained and refilled recently for the first time ( it was turning rust color).
recently had steering pump replaced, I guess that means it has new oil now.
any thing else?
somebody mentioned using lithium grease lubrication on the front struts. is that something that is recommended?
does it require a differential oil change?
thanks
chec or change your PCV valve. Cheap and easy 15 min DIY job. Use OEM valve

harrisbaig (09-25-18)
Old 09-25-18, 10:40 AM
harrisbaig
Driver

is there are a link on how to do it?
Old 09-25-18, 12:34 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

is there are a link on how to do it?
if you do a google search for changing PCV and Lexus , you’ll find several good videos.
harrisbaig (09-26-18)
Old 09-26-18, 04:45 AM
mbogosia
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car and great job maintaining it. I am at 189k and hope to get there one day.

Quick Reply: 300k miles club! - 8 to 300k miles ; my journey with this awesome ES