ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Viper Remote Starters

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 08:17 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Viper Remote Starters

After living with my ES for over 6 years, I've been contemplating getting a remote starter for convenience and a quality of life improvement.
Has anyone on here had one installed on the 3ES? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of?

My factory remote has a very short range, I was hoping installing a remote starter such as the Viper 5806V would help with that by replacing the factory system.
Amazon Amazon
Old 02-03-18, 07:01 PM
Ace20Six
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you plan on doing the install yourself?

You’re in NJ correct?

Go see these guys, top notch work. You can check out a lot of their work on instagram. @nvs_audio

NVS AUDIO

720 East Saint Georges Ave
Linden NJ 07036
T: (908) 527-6772
W: http://www.nvsaudio.com
E: NVSAUDIO@gmail.com

They mostly do Compustar alarm/remote starter though. Top notch alarm. Pretty much everyone I follow on Instagram that does alarms, installs compustar and or idatastart systems.
Old 02-03-18, 07:45 PM
whooodat
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a Viper 5301 2-way remote start system on my 98 ES300, that paged me if the alarm went off. It was great when I first got it, but after a year and a half my starter was toast. Besides that it was working great for 3 years then it went haywire and I had to remove it when my wife was almost left stranded. Remember this is just my experience with it and I owned two of them with remote start from Viper (first one had no problems-Honda Civic).

Last edited by whooodat; 02-03-18 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-04-18, 08:09 AM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I actually have a Drone Mobile remote start on the one of my cars and love it.
There is an annual subscription for some of the features if you use them, but I never have had an issue with starting my car from any distance.
It has a cellular feature (Hence the $60 - $120 annual fee if you want it), in which I can start my car from either my cell phone or Smart Watch. It also sends push notifications to my phone no matter where I am.
There is also a GPS feature to see where your car is at anytime, and optional features you can add like the ability to roll up or down your windows using the app if installed and programmed correctly.

Cons of the cell phone thing are there is a little bit of lag time (to be expected I guess) and the lag time is even longer from my Apple Watch since it is connecting from the watch to the phone to the car.
It gets cold here in Chicago so if we take a vacation I know I can start my car and let it run no matter where I am in the world.
Old 02-04-18, 11:38 AM
Ace20Six
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whooodat
I had a Viper 5301 2-way remote start system on my 98 ES300, that paged me if the alarm went off. It was great when I first got it, but after a year and a half my starter was toast. Besides that it was working great for 3 years then it went haywire and I had to remove it when my wife was almost left stranded. Remember this is just my experience with it and I owned two of them with remote start from Viper (first one had no problems-Honda Civic).
Sounds like you may have gotten a bad installation. I bet under your dash they used T-taps for their connections everywhere(T-taps are the worse). Hell I’ve even seen “professionals” just twist two wires together and use tape and maybe even a zip tie and and swears up and down it’s the best method.
Old 02-04-18, 12:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Viper is a good brand. Ace is right installation is very very important, crimp connections are not good enough wires must be soldered. I've yet to see a remote start installed properly they are always a rats nest mess.
Old 02-04-18, 01:38 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Ace20Six
Do you plan on doing the install yourself?

You’re in NJ correct?

Go see these guys, top notch work. You can check out a lot of their work on instagram. @nvs_audio

NVS AUDIO

720 East Saint Georges Ave
Linden NJ 07036
T: (908) 527-6772
W: http://www.nvsaudio.com
E: NVSAUDIO@gmail.com

They mostly do Compustar alarm/remote starter though. Top notch alarm. Pretty much everyone I follow on Instagram that does alarms, installs compustar and or idatastart systems.
I'd like to get a professional install if it's reasonably priced. Not even sure how much one of these systems costs.
Thank you for the recommendation.

Originally Posted by Ace20Six

Sounds like you may have gotten a bad installation. I bet under your dash they used T-taps for their connections everywhere(T-taps are the worse). Hell I’ve even seen “professionals” just twist two wires together and use tape and maybe even a zip tie and and swears up and down it’s the best method.
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Viper is a good brand. Ace is right installation is very very important, crimp connections are not good enough wires must be soldered. I've yet to see a remote start installed properly they are always a rats nest mess.
Agreed on the wiring. Last thing I want is a half-assed job on the install.