ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2004 ES330 Vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 07:19 PM
Helius
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Literally, just watched the same video lol! This video really does make it seem simple compared to some of the other videos I have seen that require a hex drive and the screws are on the back side.

The link is much appreciated, although if anyone has a link to a forum with pictures for the '05 ES330 would be fabulous just to get a one to one picture of what I would be dealing with.
Old 08-06-19, 07:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

The back plate has to be knocked off the spindle so you can get to the connector as long as you are not fighting rust it comes right off.

The following users liked this post:
Helius (08-06-19)
Old 08-06-19, 07:56 PM
Helius
Driver School Candidate

This does not seem bad at all, I think I might find a weekend and attempt it myself. Thank you very much!

Found another detailed video:

Last edited by Helius; 08-06-19 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Found video
Old 08-06-19, 09:59 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 379 Likes on 330 Posts

Sorry you replaced those parts w/no success. This is a VERY good test for bad bearings (where a McPherson strut or coil spring is employed):

Jack up the axle and spin the wheel. Graps the coil spring with your hand. If there is palpable vibration transmitted, that is a great indicator of a bad bearing. Try other wheels in comparison.

Rocking the tire is also diagnostic; I have posted that a lot elsewhere and you can google it, check the 3/9 oclock play and 6/12 and compare.
Old 08-07-19, 08:34 AM
seanddd
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Helius, your problem sounds different from mine. I also replaced 2 rear hub bearings myself, not bad at all, just 4 bolts, the flange together with the bearing itself came off. But that didn't solve my rhythmic noise/vibration!

I'm seriously thinking that it's the 2 front drive axles, especially the inner CV joints. Videos on youtube show the similar noise/vibration, although on different cars. I hesitate to start the job because I read so many posts about the passenger side axle bearing being fused to the bearing carrier ring...

So in short, I'm still driving it with this annoying noise/vibration, and the whomp whomp whomp noise has gotten louder and more noticeable during the past months. I plan to drive it into the ground like this... LOL.

Anyone else has any suggestions?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Helius
Hi seannddd,

Apologies for the late reply.

I think I have found the culprit (but can't say for sure yet).

As previously speculated, it just might be wheel hub/bearing that needs replaced.

Background:
I kept hearing a grinding noise from my rear driver side. Thinking it was due to either a warped rotor or sticking calipers, I replaced my entire brake assembly: Rotors, Calipers, Pads (both sides).

Unfortunately, the grinding noise is still there. The wheel does not rotate freely and the new rotor "seems" to grind against the new pads OR its the wheel bearing grinding - I don't really know, but since the rotors and pads are new, I am thinking the wheel bearing is shot.

Did you find anything new regarding this issue seanddd?

Any thoughts on the new finding Oro?

Also, are there any forums demonstrating rear wheel hub replacement? If it's too complex, I am thinking of getting it done at a garage, anyone know how much it would cost approximately?
Old 08-07-19, 08:30 PM
Helius
Driver School Candidate

Seanddd, you may have already checked this but in case you didnt, are your wheels cupping/wearing out unevenly?

I did a road trip across the country, car fully loaded, and at the end my wheels, that were on their last bit of lifespan, cupped severely and I noticed wobbling/vibration as I drove.

Easiest way to tell if your tires are wearing unevenly is to take it off and roll it. If you see it wobble, then you know it's uneven wear.

Also, if you ever do find out what the cause of your vibration, please do update us!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woops! Just read your original post where you said you had brand new tires. Nevermind the above, I am out of ideas now. Sorry mate!

Last edited by Helius; 08-07-19 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 02:53 PM
Helius
Driver School Candidate

Update: False call, wheel bearing is just fine. Turns out the grinding noise was from the emergency brakes grinding against the rotors (according to the mechanic).
Old 04-25-21, 03:24 PM
TEXLEXUS33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My es330 2005, Just fix my today. (vibrat/shake, around 30mph..45pmh Only press on gas paddle). drive axle both side was replace.
Now run very smooth on any speed. (cost$450 repair)
Old 11-16-23, 02:36 PM
wilfredk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first thing I would do is check have all the tyres and alignment checked - that was our I fixed my issue after ruling out the wheel bearings and cv axles.