ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-18, 01:29 PM
turtle54
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a deer

Hello everyone. This isn't a fun post. I just hit a deer at about 60 mph on the left front. No radiator damage. It drives fine.
Its a 2003 es300 with 185000 miles. Its really I mean it used to be in really good condition. Airbags didn't deploy.
Major damage to hood and drivers side headlight. Those two needs to be replaced. I only have liability because the car is
not worth comprehensive. The bumper looks fine. The grille is pushed into the radiator but didn't damage it. I think the fan
might be hitting something. It makes noise every time it comes on. My big question is, is it worth repairing? How much
should it cost to repair it. Should I just buy another Lexus? Pics coming soon

Last edited by turtle54; 02-10-18 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-10-18, 02:38 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

You want us to give you an opinion without seeing the damage? Sorry about the accident.
Old 02-10-18, 06:41 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If the radiator cradle is pushed in (as you said the fan is touching something) then it's a bit more extensive. You'll likely have a shop pull it out, or worse case, replace it which requires grinding and re-welding.

If the rad cradle can be adjusted so the hood closes properly, then all you need are the cosmetic parts, hood, headlight, grille, bumper and you should be back on the road.

Are you handy with tools? If you could pull off the front bumper, you can get a closer look to the hidden damage...sometimes there's a lot more hiding under that you won't see.
Old 02-10-18, 10:37 PM
diddly
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah man; sorry about the accident: Sorry for the deer too! But what can you do...it happens sometimes

It's always difficult to tell with front ends: there are so many parts that rely on a straight core support, to attach correctly. Sometimes it looks like an easy fix and next thing you know, the hood doesn't latch right, the fan is 'ticking' (like you mentioned), the headlight is pointing toward the moon, etc.

Like speedkar9 asked: Are you handy enough with tools to get things 'close enough' to function well? Or do you want the car to look great again? That would most likely require a body shop and will NOT be inexpensive. If you can live with the thing not looking perfect (maybe wrong colored hood for a while...or forever), and maybe the new headlight isn't perfectly aimed, but isn't blinding oncoming driver's either; then perhaps you have a chance of milking the thing along a little while, until you can have it 'fixed right', or you can take your time finding a replacement.

I would inspect the radiator very closely to make sure that's not the cause of the fan noise (the fan actually 'nicking' the radiator). Also look closely for stress cracks. Thirdly; when the engine is COLD (so you know the fan won't turn on suddenly), spin the fans by hand until you find out which one and where, it is making contact. Hopefully; it's just something that can be pulled out of contact. If not; a fan (or two) might have to be replaced. Again; if you can live with 'imperfection'; you might get away with simply bending things back to/(close to) where they belong and hopefully you can snag a hood and a headlight at a salvage yard. Good luck!
Old 02-12-18, 12:34 PM
turtle54
Rookie

Estimate was $3200. My delema is should I or shouldn’t I?
Should I Invest this into another used Lexus or take the “cheaper” way out and get it
fixed?
Attached Thumbnails Hit a deer-f94b6a30-ebdc-47f9-b106-d83476539278.jpeg  
Old 02-12-18, 02:11 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

If it was my car I'd keep it as long as the unibody was not damaged, things like radiator support and frame rails. Otherwise I'd consider getting another car.
Old 02-12-18, 04:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Looks repairable from that picture, but it's hard to tell from the outside. You gotta pull off the bumper and raise the hood to inspect the internals.
Old 02-12-18, 09:29 PM
diddly
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm; the damage is a little more 'centered' on the vehicle, than I had imagined. That front lip of the hood curled pretty hard. I could easily imagine the core support being tweaked a bit, which might be the cause of the 'ticking' fan. But regardless of any and all conjecture; like MrBooby and Lexus2000 said; you gotta have a good hard look under that hood and see just how many pieces and how critical they are, to be put back to precisely where they belong. Hanging a hood and replacing a grille and headlight, will be a cinch, as long as the places they bolt up to are where they should be! Good luck, in whichever path you choose!
The following users liked this post:
turtle54 (02-14-18)
Old 02-14-18, 05:23 PM
turtle54
Rookie

I had 4 estimates and they all was between 3000 and 3500 and none of them opened the hood for fear of not being able to close it, and me afraid of what I might see if they do. Think maybe I should just get a 2010 es 350 even tho I can't afford it, I really DO NOT want a car payment for 3 years. The more I think about it.......... the more I want it.

Last edited by turtle54; 02-14-18 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 04:14 PM
NikS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a new hood from a junkyard: $200
Get brand new headlights from amazon: $200

You can do both of these projects yourself
Old 02-16-18, 06:27 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

I say you should take a step back and assess the damage. Pop open the hood, remove the grille, and possibly the bumper. Take some photos and lets have a closer look.

Would you mind posting up the estimates? Curious to see if rad cradle repair is cited on there, potentially driving the costs so high.

If you don't mind a half decent job, you might be of good to pull the old rad cradle out far enough so a new hood can latch. It won't be perfect, but it will get you around until you can afford that nice 2010 ES350.
Old 02-17-18, 09:44 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

with a chain, a post or a tree and reverse gear you can probably straighten the core support enough to make it driveable.
Old 02-17-18, 12:21 PM
turtle54
Rookie

I ordered both headlights. Replacing both. One of my questions is this car came from the dealer with hid.
I have no idea what intensity the bulbs are because I need to replace those too. I don’t know what k they are, 6000,8000 etc. They are blue but I don’t know what shade of blue. What would be the best ones to use?
Thanks bunches!
Old 02-17-18, 04:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The HID ballasts are attached to the headlight housing. The wiring is different between HID/non HID cars, so unless you ordered OE housings, you will need to rewire in order to use an aftermarket headlight and HID kit. Not a huge deal if you know what you are doing.
Old 02-25-18, 02:05 PM
turtle54
Rookie

Guys I bought 2 hid’s a front emblem and the bulbs. My question is do most body shops frown upon bringing your own parts in for repair. The hood still hasn’t been popped. Isn't some business better then no business? The hood and grille definitely needs replaced. It’ll probably cost me like 3k when it’s all said and done anyway. But I don’t care about that. I’ve had this es for almost 5 yrs and I love it. The Levinsone sound system is awesome (I just wish there was a eq) Before this one I had a 93 for 13 yrs and sold it to someone in Mass for $900. It only had 275000 on it. Sorry I’m rambling. I guess what i’m asking is what do you think I should expect about what might be happening under the hood? Thanks all

Quick Reply: Hit a deer