ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Mismatched colors

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-03, 07:43 AM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default me too, Toys

Toysrme:

I also would like to apologize for the edgy tone in my original and subsequent posts. I regret using emotionally loaded words like "cheesy", and the comparison to a Civic is probably a bit extreme. Like you, my message remains the same, though: The mismatch is a real thing. I don't know the percentage--how could I? But it's real! It's not from the sun and it's not an optical illusion. Anyone who cares to look (keeping in mind the fact that this is not something to devote a lot of time to) will see it...not on all cars, just some. My car is a '96 and it is close to "mint". It has not been crashed, rolled, rebuilt from scrap, etc.

Anyway, I'd just like to tone down the rhetoric a bit here--and I will do my part in that. I would, however, like to discuss problems and defects and get some objective input.

I don't think Lexus is going to want to do anything about this, since the car (or cars) is way past warranty...and that's okay...it's not that noticeable. But it is there.
Old 07-08-03, 09:48 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

I dunno...I like my car alright, but mostly I think the "Lexus Experience" is pretty cheesy. I like the luxury, but the build quality is poor compared to oh, say, A Honda Civic
Um... it's an ES. It is lexus' budget minded auto. it is an awsome unit for the $$ and certainly a great car compared to a lot of them on the road, but you bought the bottom of the food chain... what do you expect?

Note to es guys: I am actually planning on getting an ES to go with my SC so there is no discontent in any way towards the ES. Facts are facts, though. I will say this however.... the newer ES's are a vast improvement over the older one's. My suggestion to the op is to go drive some of the $45K plus Lexus auto's. it's a different world. Personally, i still LOVE the ES body style around 96-97 and that's why i would like one.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 07-08-03 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-09-03, 08:24 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

There are a number of good discussions in this forum but this thread is futile and pointless.

DESERTRAT: Take your car to a reputed body shop. Let them inspect the paint from head to toe and I GUARANTEE they will not buy in to this "mismatched paint business". It's normal wear and tear. Damn, if I had the time to waste I'd drive my car over to your house, park next to your ES and prove to you the paint has faded.

Originally posted by onelasttry
Um... it's an ES. It is lexus' budget minded auto. it is an awsome unit for the $$ and certainly a great car compared to a lot of them on the road, but you bought the bottom of the food chain... what do you expect?

So...if YOU expect the ES to have these problems because it is a bottom rung Lexus....then every Toyota vehicle should have even more problems...after all isn't the ES above all Toyotas in the "FOOD CHAIN"?????

Go figure.

Onelasttry, you own a Lexus. You know Lexus. They wouldn't sacrifice quality on their "bottom of the rung" vehicle. Or else, myself and every other ES owner in this forum wouldn't be driving one.

EDIT: Just found this on CNN money.

Study done by J.D. Power and Associates:

Top Vehicles
These vehicles had fewest problems in their segments.

Vehicle type Top ranked
Premium luxury Lexus LS 400
Entry-level luxury Lexus ES 300
Luxury SUV Lexus RX 300
Premium sports car Porsche 911
Full-size car Mercury Grand Marquis
Compact car Toyota Corolla

....and you're complaining about the ES?

I have nothing more to say.

Last edited by XenonES3; 07-09-03 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-09-03, 09:48 AM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WoW I'm not even gonna touch this one
Old 07-09-03, 11:50 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

So...if YOU expect the ES to have these problems because it is a bottom rung Lexus....then every Toyota vehicle should have even more problems...after all isn't the ES above all Toyotas in the "FOOD CHAIN"?????
I expect every vehicle in lower model lines to have problems. that is why they are lower models.

Onelasttry, you own a Lexus. You know Lexus. They wouldn't sacrifice quality on their "bottom of the rung" vehicle. Or else, myself and every other ES owner in this forum wouldn't be driving one.
People drive ford festiva's, yet they make 20 models of ford vehicle. if you make it, they will drive it. quality between a festiva and a mustang? a little.

don't get hung up on the word "lexus" too much. it's a car company like all the others. Like i said, i'm buying an ES soon. I like them. Don't let emotions cloud judgement. every manufacturer has a economy line. that line has drawbacks. I suppose i could expect the same build quality in a cavalier as i can a corvette because the same company made it?
Old 07-10-03, 06:53 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yes, but it's only one of two car companies below a 100 complaints per 100 vehicles.

Of which it leads down well into the 70's compaired to 97 or so. I don't relaly remember, but I know Lexus has MORE than 20 fewer complaint lead per 100 than the nearest other automaker. It was in the paper a month ago or so... Look it up! Notice this is complaints. Not problems.

Lexus also leaded '93-'97 major/minor problems per vehicle by a descent margin over everything else...

You'll have to look the first up on JD power. The '93-'97 is online somewhere b/c I printed it out for mom to see. (She had a '96 Altima and it was a complete POS)
Old 07-27-03, 06:18 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, looks like I'm not the only one who has experienced this "fading" thing... My trunk is the same color as the lower half of the two tone.. Seems like the colors got mixed or something. Weird thing is, my car is a 96 and is also that beige color, just like yours Desert. Doesn't really bother me though, I have other things to worry about. lol.
Old 07-27-03, 07:14 AM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Cool thanks, serrano007

Originally posted by serrano007
Well, looks like I'm not the only one who has experienced this "fading" thing... My trunk is the same color as the lower half of the two tone.. Seems like the colors got mixed or something. Weird thing is, my car is a 96 and is also that beige color, just like yours Desert. Doesn't really bother me though, I have other things to worry about. lol.
Doesn't exactly keep me up at night, either. My mismatch includes the trunk, mirrors, and the plastic panels that sit on top of the bumpers. I doubt is due to fading but if it is, then the fading is restricted to those parts, and it's still a weird thing. Also, I notice that it happens to lots and lots of ES 300s, and Camrys--always the beige color, and the problem extends into the 98-2001 ES series. It can be seen in photos at this website, and even in some promo pictures at Edmunds and other sites.

If I bought the car new, it would definitely be unacceptable. Since I am the 3rd owner, and the car is otherwise clean and tight (and off warranty), it's not a problem.
Old 07-27-03, 08:56 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Originally posted by onelasttry
I expect every vehicle in lower model lines to have problems. that is why they are lower models.

People drive ford festiva's, yet they make 20 models of ford vehicle. if you make it, they will drive it. quality between a festiva and a mustang? a little.

don't get hung up on the word "lexus" too much. it's a car company like all the others. Like i said, i'm buying an ES soon. I like them. Don't let emotions cloud judgement. every manufacturer has a economy line. that line has drawbacks. I suppose i could expect the same build quality in a cavalier as i can a corvette because the same company made it?
My god people, please dont open your mouth if you dont know what your talking about. The ES300 is not an economy line car, by far. Thats like saying that mercedes makes cars for the poor. Come on, Every Lexus is built with quality, no matter what model it is. The only economy minded cars that they do make are called Toyota's. Come on, your telling me that a $35K car is an economy car. I would like to see the person that is on a budget spending that much money for a car. Get with it, and squash this dam topic.
Old 07-27-03, 10:23 AM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Default don't like? don't read!

Nixsun (and others): this thread is nothing more than an attempt to get some factual info from other ES owners about a particular issue, in this case, a color match issue. If the content of this thread distresses you, (e.g., " Get with it, and squash this dam topic"), then just don't pay attention to it. Stick with the "Lexus is the Best" and "How do ya like my 30-inch wheels and neon wipers?" threads.
Old 07-27-03, 10:40 AM
Nixsun79
Pole Position

Rat,

I wasn't trying to bash your topic, I was trying to bash the people that are trying to give info on the topic that don’t know what there talking about. For example, if you paid attention to the quote that I posted... Any Lexus vehicle that is made is not an economy car. That is all I was trying to point out.

And one more thing, if you want to try and bash my ride check again. I have no cheap "ghetto" parts on my car, I am trying to improve the looks and performance of my car with as many genuine Lexus engineered parts or JDM parts as possible. If you took some time and checked out my ride before trying to bash me you would notice this. I have no 30" wheels, I have Lexus wheels… I have no NEON wipers, I have a high performance silicon wiper blade that is the quietest wiper I have ever had, and it is black and looks like a normal wiper blade. I do not Ghetto out my car, I make it look classy. I personally feel that this is none of your business to criticize the things that I like to do to my car. All I was trying to do was make sure that people get they're facts straight before they post, and if they don’t know then squash it.
Old 07-27-03, 07:08 PM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Smile Not bashing

Nix,

Sorry if it sounded like I was bashing your ride. Your point about the ES not being an econo car is well taken. I like your approach to your car. I'm leaving my ES stock, but when I had an MR2, I mixed in some tasty TRD, Toyota, and quality aftermarket stuff. I need to take my own advice and just stick with the factual stuff and avoid the editorial comments.
Old 07-27-03, 07:32 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, I thought we were long done with this topic.
Originally posted by DesertRat
My mismatch includes the trunk, mirrors, and the plastic panels that sit on top of the bumpers. I doubt is due to fading but if it is, then the fading is restricted to those parts, and it's still a weird thing.
Congratulations DesertRat!!! You've correctly identified parts of the car which are directly exposed to sunlight!!!!! Sunlight---leads to fading----go figure!!!

Originally posted by DesertRat
It can be seen in photos at this website, and even in some promo pictures at Edmunds and other sites.
How in the hell can you trust "photos"? Camera resolution, flash, background lighting, and a *****load of other variables effect picture taking. It's common sense.

My suggestion----Lenscrafters is running a special $25 eye exam special through the end of July I believe.

I apologize if I sound cynical and condescending, but you really have nothing to worry about. Paint fade is a common occurance amongst all vehicles as they age. It's is just much more noticeable on off-white colors including Cashmere Beige.

Last edited by XenonES3; 07-27-03 at 07:43 PM.
Old 07-27-03, 08:57 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Guys,

Lexus isn't perfect and they do sometimes have problems with paint on specific colors (some of the white GSs have a fading problem on the bottom panels of the car, acknowledged by Lexus). I can't however see any evidence of something similar in the pics linked in the first post. Looks like normal two-tone ES paint to me.

I personally would throw the build quality of an ES up against any Honda and Acura any day.

I think many folks have chipped in their $.02 on this topic and there's quite a bit of animosity in this thread, so I'm closing it before it continues further. Thanks.