ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

variable valve timing solenoid question ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-18, 01:31 PM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default variable valve timing solenoid question ...

Can a VVT solenoid go bad slowly? So the symptoms are not as severe as reported here when it fails completely (or screen sludged up).

My ES300 gave a two second flashing CEL with random misfire, cyl 1 and cyl 5 (bank 1).
Car idle is rough when the engine is hot only. Car chugs off the line to about 3000 rpm and then smooths out, but does seem to lack power like it had.

The issues are subtle and I do not have any VVT CEL code.

But I just assume replace the VVT than wait for it to fail - assuming I am on the right track.
Old 04-07-18, 02:28 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 379 Posts

Did you check pending codes? (Do you have a reader to do that, etc.?). This sounds like it could be a failing OCV. It has been a while since I addressed this personally, but I *think* I had symptoms before the OCV/VVT actually popped up. It takes a certain number of duty cycles to generate a CEL. In the interim, detected faults will be stored internally as pending codes and can be accessed via the OBDII interface.
Old 04-07-18, 04:10 PM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oro
Did you check pending codes? (Do you have a reader to do that, etc.?). This sounds like it could be a failing OCV. It has been a while since I addressed this personally, but I *think* I had symptoms before the OCV/VVT actually popped up. It takes a certain number of duty cycles to generate a CEL. In the interim, detected faults will be stored internally as pending codes and can be accessed via the OBDII interface.
Thanks - I have an OBDII reader and there are no pending codes. When I did get the flashing CEL light it did store bank 1 random with cyl 1 and 5 misfire, but the problem went away and after clearing the codes, they have not returned (...yet). No VVT problem code at all. I suspect that just means the circuit is alive and not shorted. My question is whether the VVT solenoid can fail slowly? or all or nothing.
Old 04-07-18, 04:31 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mzeitlin
Thanks - I have an OBDII reader and there are no pending codes. When I did get the flashing CEL light it did store bank 1 random with cyl 1 and 5 misfire, but the problem went away and after clearing the codes, they have not returned (...yet). No VVT problem code at all. I suspect that just means the circuit is alive and not shorted. My question is whether the VVT solenoid can fail slowly? or all or nothing.
You can take a bad OCV out of the car and bench test it with voltage and the solenoid will act normally. Thus, I have to imagine there is some gradient where heat and pressure can induce malfunction intermittently.

I would start finding an OE pair of them so you know where to go when you get a handle on the problem and if it turns out to be them. Replace them both IMO. I was able to find some Toyota close out parts and got both genuine parts for about $90 total from Ebay, so shopping around for “real” ones is better than grabbing aftermarket ones. Some people have reported the aftermarket ones simply refuse to work.
Old 04-07-18, 07:17 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 120 Likes on 90 Posts

Sometimes they get dirty and stick causing intermittent function.
Old 04-08-18, 08:59 AM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Oro

You can take a bad OCV out of the car and bench test it with voltage and the solenoid will act normally. Thus, I have to imagine there is some gradient where heat and pressure can induce malfunction intermittently.

I would start finding an OE pair of them so you know where to go when you get a handle on the problem and if it turns out to be them. Replace them both IMO. I was able to find some Toyota close out parts and got both genuine parts for about $90 total from Ebay, so shopping around for “real” ones is better than grabbing aftermarket ones. Some people have reported the aftermarket ones simply refuse to work.
i bought two Dorman because I can get them today. Who manufactures OE ones?

Is it possible that only one bank is 'dirty' and the other one clean? I will be removing bank 1 today and will check the filter screen also. Puzzling why it works great cold and then as the engine warms up they "stick". I would assume the oil thins and moves better. Regardless - I'm gaining confidence the OCV (VVT)'s are my problem and replacing them after 18 years is probably preventing a bigger problem down the road. This car has been flawless until now (coil failures from time to time notwithstanding)
Old 04-08-18, 01:59 PM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

Well .... I replaced both VVT solenoids, cleaned the oil filter screens (which didn't need cleaning and were spotless).
At first I thought problem solved, but as I was ending my test drive, the car hesitated and threw p0300 1,3,5 codes (Bank 2 misfire). It didn't last long - about a minute later it cleared itself up and codes disappeared. Car idles fine. I never have received a VVT code.

The coil packs are all new (within a year or so) - what else could be causing chugging acceleration after engine is hot?
I have a suspicion nothing was ever wrong with my VVT's.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-08-18, 05:34 PM
Oro
Pole Position

I don’t think you really know any more today than you did yesterday - replacing the OCVs with Dorman units and seeing no difference doesn’t demonstrate anything conclusive. Others have put in the Dorman units, had no relief, then tried factory units and had all issues go away. There are a few reports of that both here if you search, and at TN in corresponding Camries.

In the absence of a VVT code, I would check the other commonalities to those cylnder, one being fuel supply to the bank. I don’t know how the cam position sensor on these mounts as I’ve never had to service it on this car, but that’s another place to look.

Old 04-08-18, 09:25 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I can tell you that when I got my p0300, p0301, p0303, p0305, and p0300, p0302, p0304, p0306 at different times, no specific vvti code. I replaced the solenoids with dorman and it fixed my problems.

But it looks like you are having a different problem.
check your fuel trim

Last edited by crwys; 04-08-18 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 06:27 AM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by crwys
I can tell you that when I got my p0300, p0301, p0303, p0305, and p0300, p0302, p0304, p0306 at different times, no specific vvti code. I replaced the solenoids with dorman and it fixed my problems.

But it looks like you are having a different problem.
check your fuel trim
How do I check the fuel trim? ... and where is the cam sensor located (for the rear bank)?