ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Clogged cats...can I gut them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 08:13 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Clogged cats...can I gut them?

I dont want to put $1800worth of new cats in my 02 ES, and I am tired of clearing the CEL code after every long drive. I have installed defoulers on the 02's and the damn CEL keeps coming back.

the car is not down on power, it runs great, it does smeel like sulfur under hard acceleration or after more than an hour on the freeway.

so...my question is, if I gut the cats the old fashioned way (taking manifolds off and hammering a piece of rebar through the output flange, then dumping out the destroyed catalyst), will it affect fuel delivery or engine performance? This will only be temporary until i can find a good aftermarket solution. Im thinking the fouler sleeves will keep the O2's in range. I think the cats are so bad that its tripping the sensors even with the foulers on. Before i did the foulers, the car would hesitate, misfire, and stumble all over itself.
Old 05-07-18, 10:40 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 435 Likes on 380 Posts

I would hesitate to do this. My thinking is this:

a) Even if some of your catalyst is coated/non-functioning, a reasonable percentage of it should be working. Thus, destroying a good percentage of the catalyst honeycomb is going to result in even less efficiency and more problems. I’ve done this on several motorcycles and never not had to go back and alter the fuel system, and I would worry the. ECU won’t have the programmed range to adapt.

b) the change will alter the back pressure as you well know, and I don’t know how the ECU is going to adapt to that, either.

So unless you actually have a physically clogged cat that is restricting flow, glowing hot, etc., I’d think it would not help and could make things worse.

Do you have the tall non-foulers installed, or the short ones? I have read that stacking two short ones or getting a long one (Dorman makes them in both sizes as I recall) is sometimes necessary. If none of that works, I understand your suspicion on non OE. I have never had satisfactory results from Walker or Bosal. I have heard that Eastern Catalytic is OK and you could check them out. Not a great answer overall, but maybe it helps refine your thinking.
Old 05-27-18, 11:07 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 435 Likes on 380 Posts

Satiger sent me a pm a few days ago about doing the non-fouler installation. I thought I'd update this with a tip for the group.

I was in Harbor Freight yesterday to get a one-off specialized ratchet to help a neighbor. I happened to see a set of flare-nut wrenches for cheap - Like $11 after their ubiquitous 20% off coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-pc-m...set-68866.html

These are very helpful for brake bleeds, any hydraulic line work, and 02 sensors, or stuck bolts you fear rounding. It goes from 8mm to 22mm so one of them should fit the 02 sensor.