ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Keeping my trans going

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 04:13 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Keeping my trans going

Hey all I’m coming to the end of days with my 01 ES300. By January my business should be able to buy me a new company car.

Unitl then I got some trans issues. I got what i think is a trans pump whine on cold start. It has been going away when the trans warms up, but takes a little bit longer for the noise to go away every day. One day last week i was just home after being away for 10 days, the car sat that time. Taking my daughter to pre-school reverse wouldn’t engage. I checked the fluid it was full. I ended up revving it up and reverse *banged* in and its been fine since. Car has 161k and toyota changed the fluid around 120k and not sure if they did the filter at that time. Trans fluid is pink and smells fine. I slightly overfilled with some T-IV toyota fluid just to see if that made any difference but it did not.

I’m going to take the pan down and change the filter this weekend, in case that plugged up cavitating the trans pump. Is there anything else i can do short term to keep the trans going for the next 4-5 months?
Old 08-15-18, 04:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,033 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Did you check the fluid level with the engine running? Previously to the transmission service at 120k what is the service history? Lucas tranny additive can actually stop slipping if you don't get anywhere with the filter change dump in two bottles.
Old 08-15-18, 04:28 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Yes checked running, warm idle, run through all the gears first.

I’m not sure the previous history, i’ve owned since 2012 at 85k Service history is in the lexus owners site, car was dealer serviced by first owner, would it show a trans fluid and filter change in there?
Old 08-15-18, 05:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

All service work should be in the history. When I bought my Lexus I went to the dealer and they printed me off the service history everything was there right down to details like lubing door hinges.
Old 08-15-18, 11:01 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 379 Posts

Yes, you can find the lexus service online w/o visiting the dealer. It is on their website somewhere, just enter the VIN.

I would add some B12 or Seafoam and run for a week. Then drain/fill with TIV, 3309, or Castrol Transmax HM with Lubegard Red. Hopefully the solvent would clean the valve body and solenoids. The Lubegard has similar additives like Lucas - which is a good product - but has the added benefit of an ester oil base which conditions seals, also cleans (is component of AutoRX), and helps heat transfer. So I prefer it overall.

I am doubting your filter could be a problem; if it were cavitating it would be from a bad aftermarket filter (too restrictive - has happened), but you said this was dealer and it worked for 40k mi, or from low fluid (you checked it). Nothing else really to clog it unless catastrophic failure throws enough parts to do so. And unfortunately, that does happen with these transmissions.

If that above doesn't help, I would investigate a solenoid issue - by revving you increase the line pressure and could overcome a sticking one. I don't know the inner control patterns of this unit enough to diagnose. A next step would be a line pressure test, which is cheap to do - just need a test gauge and then read the pressure at idle and at stall speed (for the torque converter) in each gear. If you have a gauge or want to get one, I would do that before the treatment and then a week later.

When I need to do a line pressure test once, I just used my compression tester and a 6' hose extension I bought at harbor freight, and correct NPT adapter to the pressure test port. It was a little messy because the compression tester was not fluid-tight, but it worked just fine.

Last edited by Oro; 08-15-18 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-16-18, 04:25 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. I’ll think about adding some stuff, I kinda want to leave it alone and not mess with it since its working. Imhad a buddy with a gs300 and he had the trans flushed and then it started slipping. Obviously thats just one unrelated data point but it sticks in my mind. i figured I'd be kicking myself if I don't at least swap the filter, if that could extend the life of the trans the few months I need to get through.
Old 08-20-18, 11:58 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Update: Changed the trans filter this weekend, and the cold start whine went away, woohoo!

My theory is that the event with reverse not engaging may have caused a bunch of premature clutch wear. The magnets were full of metallic sludge stuck to them and the bottom of the pan was silvery looking fluid that I wiped out. I'm guessing a bunch of that went into the filter and was restricting it. Pitcure of the filter below that came out, that doesn't look stock does it? I didn't see any Toyota part numbers on it. Not that it matters, appears I dodged a bullet for now. In my mind the 1-2 shift seems a little soft, the trans is probably fixing to check out but I have prolonged its life perhaps by swapping in a clean filter so the pump is probably alright. The bands and clutches, who knows!
Old 08-20-18, 03:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

That's good news. That is not a Toyota part don't know if Filtran is a good brand or not, could be. Those filters are not like the old screen versions that almost never clogged up. BTW some sludge and clutch material on the magnets is inevitable I've seen Ford's with insane amounts of metal, sorta like this but worse.

Old 08-20-18, 09:11 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 434 Likes on 379 Posts

Yes, some silvery sludge is not unexpected if it has been a long time between changes and the fluid is worn out. But, it's not fatal.

Aftermarket filters have damaged a lot of transmissions.
Old 03-17-19, 12:45 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Plans have been delayed for a new car so I am still driving the ES. The trans whine started to come back in the mornings and weird shifting cold, didn't go into reverse a couple random times. Figured I'd change the filter again. Just since August there was a lot of metal collected on the pan magnets, I would think. I'm surprised the trans is hanging on, dying a nice slow death which gives me time. Most of the time it shifts just fine and no codes at all. I'll keep nursing her along. Need to close another deal or two to get a new car...

Old 06-02-19, 08:44 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
Plans have been delayed for a new car so I am still driving the ES. The trans whine started to come back in the mornings and weird shifting cold, didn't go into reverse a couple random times. Figured I'd change the filter again. Just since August there was a lot of metal collected on the pan magnets, I would think. I'm surprised the trans is hanging on, dying a nice slow death which gives me time. Most of the time it shifts just fine and no codes at all. I'll keep nursing her along. Need to close another deal or two to get a new car...

Hey,
How the cars transmission doing? Mines having similar issue where it has hard shifts when cold, but warm its fine. No issues with gears not engaging tho.
Old 06-02-19, 11:13 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

It was doing alright up until I traded her in last week! The cold whine hadn't come back yet and it was shifting just fine. I had a remote starter on the car, so I could generally avoid any odd issues driving away stone cold, and the weather was warming up so all seemed to be well. Having to change the trans fluid so often and having a lot of metallic shavings on the magnets, clearly something was up but it hadn't become a major problem yet. Never got any lights/codes for the trans.
The following users liked this post:
ilkinandr (06-03-19)
Old 06-03-19, 04:29 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It was doing alright up until I traded her in last week! The cold whine hadn't come back yet and it was shifting just fine. I had a remote starter on the car, so I could generally avoid any odd issues driving away stone cold, and the weather was warming up so all seemed to be well. Having to change the trans fluid so often and having a lot of metallic shavings on the magnets, clearly something was up but it hadn't become a major problem yet. Never got any lights/codes for the trans.
Well, thats good to hear. Congrats on new car btw. What did you end up getting?
Old 06-03-19, 06:34 AM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Curious what transmission fluid you chose to use?
Old 06-03-19, 04:07 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fortitude
Curious what transmission fluid you chose to use?
Toyota T-IV

Quick Reply: Keeping my trans going