ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Vibration at high speed: driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-18, 08:38 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Vibration at high speed: driving me nuts!

Guys, I’m losing my mind chasing a problem and I need your help.

I get a very annoying vibration through the gas pedal, the driver’s floor board, and the steering wheel whenever I exceed 60mph. Also you can visibility see the vibration in my passenger’s head rest, if the seat is empty.

The problem began a few years ago and had been very difficult to narrow down. I’ve thrown a plethora of parts at the front end, trying to rule out potential issues. Some were recommended by mechanics, others seemed like a potential problem. None of it helped.

MY: 1998
Current mileage: 278,000 miles

Here is the part list of the last two-three years:
1. Lower control arms - Aftermarket TRC (August 2016)
2. Front brakes (rotors, pads, calipers) - Centric Premium Rotors, Akebono Pads, Cardone Ultra calipers (September 2018)
3. Both front CV axles - Cardone (Driver Sep 2018; Passenger October 2016)
4. Engine mounts - All Genuine Toyota/Lexus (October 2016)
5. Rims - used Toyota Avalon 16" (September 2018)
6. New tires - new Michelin Premier A/S (Sept 2018)
7. Wheel balance - Done with New Tires (Sept 2018)
8. Wheel alignment - No pulling since last alignment (Nov 2016; 245,643 miles)
9. Struts - genuine Toyota/Lexus (April 2014)
10. Sway Bar Links - Moog (July 2017)
11. Wheels Bearings - Koyo (Oct 2018)

Original Equipment:
1. Steering Components (inner/outer tie rods, steering rack, steering column/intermediate shaft)
2. Ball Joints
3. Subframe mounts
4. Wheel Hubs
5. Studs/Lug Nuts
6. Transaxle

Checked for free play
1. Tie rod ends appear to have no play
2. Ball joints look good (no grease missing) and appear to have no play

I’m looking for a mechanic/specialsit who has expertise in this field and won’t simply suggest a wheel balance or new tires/wheels. Please help!

If you know anyone reputable around Northern NJ (30 mile radius), I am willing to make the drive.

Small Update (11/24/18): it's most likely an internal transaxle problem (possibly the differential). Need further diagnostic work to confirm.

Final Update (1/28/21): The used Avalon wheels turned out to be bent. Which I didn’t think was possible with 16” rubber. I had two of them straightened and the wheels rebalanced in January 2019. It got better but would still shake if I rotated the tires front to back.

Visited a new mechanic Summer 2020 and had him test everything with a Roadforce Balancer. He found two wheels to have way more road force than the other two. Fixed the balance and moved those two wheels to the back. Issue almost entirely went away to a point that I’m happy and it drives normally again! I only notice a tiny shake at around 50mph, once I’m past that speed it smoothes out and is perfect till as high as 80mph (I don’t risk going higher than that).

Today’s mileage: 298,000 and counting...

Last edited by Hayk; 01-28-21 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-07-18, 09:03 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

How are your Upper Control Arms?
Old 09-07-18, 10:02 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
How are your Upper Control Arms?
They don’t exist on the ES300. It uses MacPherson Struts with strut bearings and Lower Control Arms with ball joints.

Last edited by Hayk; 09-07-18 at 11:34 AM.
Old 09-07-18, 01:55 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Honestly it can only really be 3 things left:

CV Axles (not likely since you say yours are fairly new)

Tires (not likely since yours are new)

Bent wheels.

You have not replaced the wheels yet, try throwing the spare on one side, then the other and see if anything changes.
Old 09-07-18, 02:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Honestly it can only really be 3 things left:

CV Axles (not likely since you say yours are fairly new)

Tires (not likely since yours are new)

Bent wheels.

You have not replaced the wheels yet, try throwing the spare on one side, then the other and see if anything changes.
I should have clarified, the wheels have been swapped and replaced multiple times. The new tires are on a set of used rims I’ve never used before, from a Toyota Avalon 16”.
Old 09-07-18, 04:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

What about the hubs where they meet the rotors are they rust free and flat?
Old 09-07-18, 04:14 PM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

This must be very frustrating, I've read many of your previous posts and appreciate your attention to detail.

Did the vibration start after an event (hitting a pothole etc.) or vehicle service?
Did any of the above parts replacement change the characteristics of the vibration?
Does the vibration become more severe as your speed increases and/or stop at higher speed?
If you put the car in neutral does the vibration change?
Do the tires show abnormal wear?
Old 09-07-18, 06:27 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 379 Likes on 330 Posts

Given your description + past actions, I would almost be willing to bet money on bearings.

play alone in them isn’t definitive. Feel the coils while spinning the wheel. If they have never been changed, go ahead and do it given the mileage (north of 250k, right?), location, climate.
Old 09-07-18, 10:16 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
What about the hubs where they meet the rotors are they rust free and flat?
I made sure to clean those a few times with a wire wheel, a steel brush, and some sand paper. Applied anti seize to the whole mating surface before putting the new rotors on.

Originally Posted by HomerJay
This must be very frustrating, I've read many of your previous posts and appreciate your attention to detail.

Did the vibration start after an event (hitting a pothole etc.) or vehicle service?
Did any of the above parts replacement change the characteristics of the vibration?
Does the vibration become more severe as your speed increases and/or stop at higher speed?
If you put the car in neutral does the vibration change?
Do the tires show abnormal wear?
It really is very frustrating. Just when I feel like I found the culprit, the problem persists.

1. It’s been so long I don’t remember anymore. It began around the summer of 2016 after I switched over to my summer wheels, which were GS300 17” with Hankook tires. I don’t remember any major potholes, but who knows at this point.

2. Not really. I’ve noticed that the vibration can sometimes go away temporarily. For example, recently when my new tires were put on, the vibration wasn’t as pronounced. I only felt it slightly through the floor and gas pedal, not as much through the wheel.

After I swapped out the rotors and the driver side CV axle, the vibration became much more pronounced and violent. Maybe it has something to do with how much torque is applied to the lug nuts? I use 85ft lbs with a torque wrench. The shop used an air gun and way more torque than that.

3. Yes it becomes more violent as I speed up from 60mph to about 85mph. After that it sort of harmonically balances itself out.

4. Dropping it into Neutral or Turning off Over Drive(Lower gear) does not change it. I even tried shutting off the engine in Neutral. No change.

5. Tires are brand new so hard to tell. The old ones didn’t show any abnormalities to my eyes. Felt smooth to the touch. The last two mechanics persisted that they could see something uneven or that the belts have shifted inside. I think they were mistaken, cuz it feels the same with new tires.

Originally Posted by Oro
Given your description + past actions, I would almost be willing to bet money on bearings.

play alone in them isn’t definitive. Feel the coils while spinning the wheel. If they have never been changed, go ahead and do it given the mileage (north of 250k, right?), location, climate.
I’m at 275k miles. Never been changed. What if I don’t feel any roughness through the coils? Is there another way to check them for issues?
Old 09-07-18, 11:37 PM
Oro
Racer

Did you lift the front and test the coil, and do you have sensitive enough hands in general to do so?

The symptoms, history, etc. all point to that. Very strongly. This is exactly what it can look like, even diminishing a while with rebalanced or new tires. As I said, I would put money on it, and I never gamble - at all.
Old 09-08-18, 02:42 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oro
Did you lift the front and test the coil, and do you have sensitive enough hands in general to do so?

The symptoms, history, etc. all point to that. Very strongly. This is exactly what it can look like, even diminishing a while with rebalanced or new tires. As I said, I would put money on it, and I never gamble - at all.
I’m gonna give the bearings check a shot in the next two days. I visited the same shop that did my tires, this morning. They inspected the wheels and found that the left front tire was a bit out of round so they moved it to the passenger rear.

More importantly the technician demonstrated that my new driver side CV axle has a lot of free play where it engages to the transaxle. It appears to either be a manufacturing defect or the C clip is not holding the axle inside the transaxle. He was able to pull it out by hand about a half inch. I’m gonna poke around a bit more once it stops raining and see if I can fix that or if I need another axle.

After all all of that, the vibration is still the same, so I don’t think the front to rear tire swap had anything to do with it. Could very well be a bad CV axle.
Old 09-08-18, 06:31 PM
Oro
Racer

The axle splines into the transmission and hub; a bad c-clip isn’t going to affect vibration.

A pair of bearing are $70, and a used 12 ton press is roughly $50 (new ones are about $100 + tax). This isn’t a real pricey repair, nor very difficult. You are about 50k miles past the outside of the typical failure range; I would get it done.
Old 09-09-18, 02:48 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Oro
The axle splines into the transmission and hub; a bad c-clip isn’t going to affect vibration.

A pair of bearing are $70, and a used 12 ton press is roughly $50 (new ones are about $100 + tax). This isn’t a real pricey repair, nor very difficult. You are about 50k miles past the outside of the typical failure range; I would get it done.
Yeah I was concerned about the pressing of the wheel bearings. I'm gonna look into that 12 top press. Thank you, Oro, you've been very helpful.
Old 09-12-18, 05:16 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Dealt with this in my old Odyssey and kind of in its replacement. almost certain it’s motor mounts. Shutting off the car won’t necessarily stop that because the trans is still moving inside
Old 09-12-18, 07:19 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrBooby
4. Engine mounts - All Genuine Toyota/Lexus (October 2016)

Originally Posted by acarapella
Dealt with this in my old Odyssey and kind of in its replacement. almost certain it’s motor mounts. Shutting off the car won’t necessarily stop that because the trans is still moving inside

Hey thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking the same thing when I found the rear engine mount damaged. Got all of them replaced in October 2016 with genuine Lexus/Toyota parts and installed a new passenger side CV axle from Cardone.

UPDATE:
I have a bad power steering leak due to age/rust, unrelated to this issue. So I had to drop the car off for an emergency repair at a different shop.

Asked for these tasks:
1. Replace the power steering line (brought the replacement part & fluid)
2. Test drive and check for high-speed vibration (60mph+). Described the issue and the work that's been put into troubleshooting.
3. Check tire pressure and bring to 33psi.
4. Check wheel bearings and CV axles

Diagnosis:
1st test drive: technician did not feel the vibration
2nd test drive: felt minor vibration, nothing violent as described
wheel bearings have no play or any issues according to the shop

Suggested resolution:
1. Wheel balance check
2. Replace stick on wheel weights with hammer-on style, if out of balance
3. Look into CV axles (suggested the aftermarket units are not as good as OE and can cause similar issues)

They ran out of time, so I'm dropping the car off the following morning to get the repair taken care of.
On the drive back home (I took the car for the night). The highway vibration was much less than the last 3 days. Not sure why.

Last edited by Hayk; 09-12-18 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration at high speed: driving me nuts!