ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Es330

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-03, 09:29 AM
cricket
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Es330

Any word on when the ES330 will be released? What changes will we see in the new car?
Old 07-24-03, 11:37 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometime in September. So far I haven't any information as to the changes except my dealer told me they expect an increase in HP and it'll be badged ES330.
Old 07-27-03, 01:11 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

:'( Guess it will be another couple years before they change the styling. (ugh looks hideous, worse than the camry/avalon even! Oh well, to each his own)

Who all else strongly doubts the HP will be more than 20hp? I say save the rebadging for a car that deserves it!
Old 07-27-03, 02:52 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the most part I agree with you Toys, but the Avalon is definitely the ugliest.
Old 07-27-03, 06:52 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

The '02-'03 shape starts to grow on you......but I agree with you about the Avalon!
Old 07-28-03, 10:18 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've liked the 02+ Camry/ES300's shape ever since I first laid eyes on it. The new camry's interior is decent, but the new ES300s interior is NICE.

Personally I think both inside and out, the 02+ ES300 looks MUCH better than the older one.
Old 07-28-03, 02:55 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by Threxx
I've liked the 02+ Camry/ES300's shape ever since I first laid eyes on it. The new camry's interior is decent, but the new ES300s interior is NICE.

Personally I think both inside and out, the 02+ ES300 looks MUCH better than the older one.
Yup...to me the old one looks simply too bland.
The new one looks luxurious and classy on the first sight.
Mine has so far received compliments on the exterior look from complete strangers on at least 5 different occasions already, one even from the owner of an old ES300.
The interior has got even more compliments for sure, from those who I've taken for rides.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 07-28-03 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 09:48 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Really the only thing I would change on the old ones are the curvature of the trunk(and the older model's lights)

The new ones... The headlights say it all
Old 07-29-03, 06:39 AM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Put a set of 19's with a 2 inch drop on an 02+ ES and you've got a more attractive car than a GS in my opinion.
Old 07-29-03, 09:48 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Put a set of 19's with a 2 inch drop on an 02+ ES and you've got a more attractive car than a GS in my opinion.
Sure, go ahead and do that and destroy the great smoothness of the suspension, destroy the accuracy of the speedometer and navigation system. I fail to see why people insist on doing these types of modifications, especially on an automobile that originally wasn't meant to be a sports car!
Old 07-30-03, 08:02 AM
emus1
Driver School Candidate

I too was put off at first look at the 03 ES 300, but as has been said, it grows on you. Two trips to the local annual auto show found me constanly drawn to the ES; I ultimately purchased one in April. I have had many compliments since, including one from a friend who recently purchased an Acura lamenting the fact he did not look into the ES. I would not be honest if I said I did not miss the difference in power from my previous 99LS 400, but have given up very little in luxury and comfort from the latter. My first Lexus was a 94 ES, and this is indeed a different ballgame.
Old 07-30-03, 10:06 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Not to get devencive for these guys but seriously!

Navigation... Speed...

Blah blah blah, IMHO If you can't READ A MAP you shouldn't be ALLOWED to drive cars in the first place. Let alone be allowed to ride around with what is essentially a "distracting toy". Heaven forbid you from functioning in this day and age if you can't find a chart or use a calculator to figure out the speed without wear, or at the very least count mile markers with a watch and approximate...I feel sorry for those people; *especially* when there are a thousand java calcs to do it for you on the internet now!

I agree with wanting to be a sports car though... By the time you drop the money to turn an ES into something hot, you might as well long ago have bought something else that's a better fit to your needs. Probably for less money too!
Old 07-30-03, 10:52 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

In defense of the Navigation System & also the accuracy of the speedometer

The Navigation System(GPS) is a wonderful way of routing out a trip. Using this new piece of hi-tech gear proved itself on my recent trip cross country. It pointed out where there were service stations, restaurants, etc, in the area I was driving in, plus many other things too numerous to mention. Sure, I traveled with maps and triptiks also, but this device was more accurate and made it much easier to get to my destinations. It also has the capability to reroute if need be. Nobody can convince me that using a map alone is better! This, by no means is a toy! Progress, man, progress!!

When a speedometer is accurate there's no need to use mile markers or calculators! DON'T feel sorry for people who think accuracy is important.
Changing tire sizes changes the circumference of the wheel and therefore throws off the accuracy of the speedometer that was built into the car in the first place, so why screw it up.

My friend, you missed the whole point!

Last edited by amf1932; 07-30-03 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-31-03, 08:54 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

It's possible to go to 19" and keep the outside diameter quite close to stock, as shown in the table below. I went to Tire Rack, and found the OEM size and recommended 19" size for a 2003 ES. I then took those numbers and plugged them in to http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
215/60-16 5.1in 13.1in 26.2in 82.2in 771 0.0%
225/40-19 3.5in 13.0in 26.1in 82.0in 773 -0.3%

Back on the original topic of discussion, I can see why Lexus was able to justify the price increase from the RX300 to RX330, but I'm having a harder time if they boost the ES price significantly. The RX added size, further refinements to interior materials, and a laundry list of options that bumped up the price of the higher packages: Mark Levinson audio, panoramic roof, laser cruise, adjustable suspension, power gate, adaptive headlamps, etc, that simply allow the 330 to become more "loaded" than the 300 ever was, and justifiably push the price into the 40s.

However, if the equipment on the ES remains the same, I don't think Lexus should tack on another $2-3K to the sticker for the new engine. It may be a modest boost in power, but I can think of plenty of cars well below the ES's class that have more HP--Accord V6 and Altima 3.5 come immediately to mind. And of course, people will argue "the ES isn't designed for performance." I don't think Honda and Nissan designed their midsize sedans with the idea that they'd be taken to the track every Friday night, either...
Old 07-31-03, 04:25 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by amf1932
Sure, go ahead and do that and destroy the great smoothness of the suspension, destroy the accuracy of the speedometer and navigation system. I fail to see why people insist on doing these types of modifications, especially on an automobile that originally wasn't meant to be a sports car!

Originally posted by wdlugitch
They do it because they can........and they are stupid. Enough said!
Yes! You two are absolutely RIGHT!!!

Everyone who lowers and puts rims on a luxury vehicle whether it be a BMW, Benz, or Lexus, is an idiot!!!!

---I feel bad for you two, you really are misfits on a Lexus enthusiast site

Last edited by XenonES3; 07-31-03 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Es330