ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2004 Lexus ES330 HID Headlight Ugrade?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 04:25 PM
terror83
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2004 Lexus ES330 HID Headlight Ugrade?

I have a 2004 Lexus ES330 with the OEM HID headlights but was wondering if there's a replacement bulb that might be an upgrade/brighter? The bulbs I have now are Philips 85126 + and aren't really that bright. The bulbs themselves don't appear to be old either and don't give out a "blue-ish" output as I hear that the color on the bulbs either turns more blue or pink when they age.

And is there any bulbs I can replace the fog light bulbs with to sort of match the headlights?
Old 10-19-18, 09:03 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

You can put in LEDs, like i did.

Originally Posted by terror83
I have a 2004 Lexus ES330 with the OEM HID headlights but was wondering if there's a replacement bulb that might be an upgrade/brighter? The bulbs I have now are Philips 85126 + and aren't really that bright. The bulbs themselves don't appear to be old either and don't give out a "blue-ish" output as I hear that the color on the bulbs either turns more blue or pink when they age.

And is there any bulbs I can replace the fog light bulbs with to sort of match the headlights?
Old 10-21-18, 01:49 PM
shortstop
Driver

My 2003 ES are plenty bright with Phillips D2R 4300 K and new headlight lenses. There are story`s told of fake Phillips bulbs being sold on the net.
Old 10-21-18, 01:51 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shortstop
My 2003 ES are plenty bright with Phillips D2R 4300 K and new headlight lenses. There are story`s told of fake Phillips bulbs being sold on the net.
Where did you get new lenses ?
Old 10-21-18, 04:25 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Question. Do you have the stock HID housings? I’m really stuck on whether to get a HID kit, just LED bulbs or what. I’m getting brand new housings on my 06 and can go HID housings or regular.
Old 10-21-18, 05:00 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by funcrusher

Question. Do you have the stock HID housings? I’m really stuck on whether to get a HID kit, just LED bulbs or what. I’m getting brand new housings on my 06 and can go HID housings or regular.
If you are replacing headlights go with HID. Helogen suck, LED is good but not as good as HID. Don't do LED or HID in reflector housing, you will be blinding everyone. Or you will have to lower them to the point that it will only light up few feet in front of the car.
Old 10-21-18, 05:09 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by ilkinandr

If you are replacing headlights go with HID. Helogen suck, LED is good but not as good as HID. Don't do LED or HID in reflector housing, you will be blinding everyone. Or you will have to lower them to the point that it will only light up few feet in front of the car.
Can I get OEM HID housings and just put Phillips HID bulbs in them? Do I need a HID kit?
Old 10-21-18, 05:13 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Can I get OEM HID housings and just put Phillips HID bulbs in them? Do I need a HID kit?
If you get OEM HID headlights, you will also need ballasts. Can pick them up on eBay for cheap and then just put in Philips bulbs and your all good.
Old 10-21-18, 06:13 PM
funcrusher
Racer

So when is a HID kit actually needed? When the housings are meant for halogens?
Old 10-21-18, 08:34 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

So when is a HID kit actually needed? When the housings are meant for halogens?
That is correct. Kits include bulbs, ballasts and sometimes projectors that have to be installed in headlights.
Old 10-22-18, 06:46 AM
shortstop
Driver

I bought OEM HID lenses on Ebay years ago they were expensive $700+. The after markets are junk. My car was mint with about 70 k miles and was worth the investment on the hazed up inside lenses. The housings and wire connections are different for HID and Halogen. And the HID require OEM ballasts inside the housings. The part # `s change from year to year and putting a 2006 headlight lense might not work for a 2004. Forget the projector lenses and buy for the same year as your car is or you risk the chance of a rewire of the sockets and more.
To make it simple for everyone!
Stop trying to put 2005 and 2006 headlights in 2002 to 2004 ES with after market parts numbers, for years that don`t match up. The after markets will sell you anything to get your money. Use Lexus/ Toyota oem parts guide numbers for the best fit, the correct year, and quality. ( The higher priced ones are the HID Lenses)

If you have Halogen headlights you can only install a after market HID kit with after market ballasts outside the lenses . Maybe LEDS I`m not sure if it will trip the dash light?

If you buy new HID OEM lenses, and if you can still find them. For a car that came with OEM HID headlights You have to transfer the old ballasts over to the new lenses. You also have to remove the front bumper cover to remove the two bolts in each of the corners to get the old lenses out, and install the new ones.
If you have to have the projector ones buy just one of the cheapest oem you can find on ebay with or with out a ballast, and try you luck with one to see how it works out and let us know so we can finally, put this question to rest.
There is probably some on Ebay with broken tabs cheap that the junkies did not remove the last bolts under the bumper cover. That you can use for a test for the wiring and fitment.
Old 10-22-18, 07:28 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

No one was talking about puttin HIDs from 06 and 05 to 04 ES. Dude has 06 ES and even 04 ES has its own set of HIDs. As for wiring its not much different. Parking light, High Beam, Turn signals are same everything. Only his low beam cables will need to be spliced (or possibly even connect) to ballasts, which then just plug into the bulb. Also no, most LED headlights dont trip dash light, but i'd not advice using them in anything other than HighBeam as they would blind people. Also you would lose daytime running light if you use them as HighBeam. (For me they dont matter). Anyways, try not to give false information if you are not sure about it.

I bought OEM HID lenses on Ebay years ago they were expensive $700+. The after markets are junk. My car was mint with about 70 k miles and was worth the investment on the hazed up inside lenses. The housings and wire connections are different for HID and Halogen. And the HID require OEM ballasts inside the housings. The part # `s change from year to year and putting a 2006 headlight lense might not work for a 2004. Forget the projector lenses and buy for the same year as your car is or you risk the chance of a rewire of the sockets and more.
To make it simple for everyone!
Stop trying to put 2005 and 2006 headlights in 2002 to 2004 ES with after market parts numbers, for years that don`t match up. The after markets will sell you anything to get your money. Use Lexus/ Toyota oem parts guide numbers for the best fit, the correct year, and quality. ( The higher priced ones are the HID Lenses)

If you have Halogen headlights you can only install a after market HID kit with after market ballasts outside the lenses . Maybe LEDS I`m not sure if it will trip the dash light?

If you buy new HID OEM lenses, and if you can still find them. For a car that came with OEM HID headlights You have to transfer the old ballasts over to the new lenses. You also have to remove the front bumper cover to remove the two bolts in each of the corners to get the old lenses out, and install the new ones.
If you have to have the projector ones buy just one of the cheapest oem you can find on ebay with or with out a ballast, and try you luck with one to see how it works out and let us know so we can finally, put this question to rest.
There is probably some on Ebay with broken tabs cheap that the junkies did not remove the last bolts under the bumper cover. That you can use for a test for the wiring and fitment.
Old 10-22-18, 01:45 PM
funcrusher
Racer

This is my headlight thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...-06-es330.html

It sounds like I’ll be best just getting OEM HID housings and putting Phillips HID bulbs in them with a ballast....
Old 10-23-18, 06:06 AM
shortstop
Driver

Originally Posted by ilkinandr
No one was talking about puttin HIDs from 06 and 05 to 04 ES. Dude has 06 ES and even 04 ES has its own set of HIDs. As for wiring its not much different. Parking light, High Beam, Turn signals are same everything. Only his low beam cables will need to be spliced (or possibly even connect) to ballasts, which then just plug into the bulb. Also no, most LED headlights dont trip dash light, but i'd not advice using them in anything other than HighBeam as they would blind people. Also you would lose daytime running light if you use them as HighBeam. (For me they dont matter). Anyways, try not to give false information if you are not sure about it.
People are talking about 2006 headlights in a thread for (2004 headlight upgrade) I`m pointing out the difference there not all so interchangeable.
Your talking about aftermarket upgrades if your cutting and splicing wires. I`m talking about Lexus OEM HID Headlight Lenses and OEM parts with built in ballasts vs Lexus OEM (halogens lenses). (not bulb upgrades) ! Lense Upgrade! Have you ever changed over a Lexus OEM ballast before it`s not a hack job? Nice job tearing up my mentions, and advice for trying to be helpful, There is always someone that has to be analytic of everything anyone has to say and confuse everything even more!
Old 10-23-18, 08:38 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Lmao i wasnt talking about Aftermarket Headlight smarty pants. You have to learn to read man. AND YES you might need to cut the wires to install OEM Lexus Ballasts if you had halogens installed. Also ballasts are not build in, so get your facts right. I took most of my car apart and put it back together. So, personally i know most of the ins and outs of my Lexus, not sure about you.

People are talking about 2006 headlights in a thread for (2004 headlight upgrade) I`m pointing out the difference there not all so interchangeable.
Your talking about aftermarket upgrades if your cutting and splicing wires. I`m talking about Lexus OEM HID Headlight Lenses and OEM parts with built in ballasts vs Lexus OEM (halogens lenses). (not bulb upgrades) ! Lense Upgrade! Have you ever changed over a Lexus OEM ballast before it`s not a hack job? Nice job tearing up my mentions, and advice for trying to be helpful, There is always someone that has to be analytic of everything anyone has to say and confuse everything even more!

Quick Reply: 2004 Lexus ES330 HID Headlight Ugrade?