ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Transmission is gone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 10:23 PM
wmj259
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Transmission is gone?

Well hello again,
2000 Es300 150k.

Seems like my transmission just gave up.
A few days ago, when I would shift out of park(or drive or reverse) into another gear (drive or reverse) , car wouldn't want to move and if I pressed the gas a little it would act jerky (similar feeling maybe to the abs activating and the brake pedal vibrating) Except it was the whole car vibrating, seemed like something was getting caught in the transmission.
For the last few days in first gear, it sounded different as if a very faint grinding like sandpaper. But other gears (2,3,4) were fine.

Transmission fluid looked clean, and I had just done a full sync. oil Change.
I did see a little leak around the trans pan gasket but nothing major as the transmission fluid level was correct and not even below the mid mark.
Well tonight car decided to give up and I was lucky enough to be close to home from my univ. Got picked up by family.
Car won't move in either gears, if it did move its for a few seconds and then loses all power but the engines still running. Seems like the torque converter isn't catching?
Will probably need to change out this transmission, if it's not the torque converter.

No idea why this would fail on me now. But knew it was coming from my previous issues.
Probably sound have scanned it before leaving it but that completely skipped my mind.
Typing this on my phone atm. Will edit if needed tomorrow.
Old 10-25-18, 05:57 AM
harrisbaig
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wmj259
Well hello again,
2000 Es300 150k.

Seems like my transmission just gave up.
A few days ago, when I would shift out of park(or drive or reverse) into another gear (drive or reverse) , car wouldn't want to move and if I pressed the gas a little it would act jerky (similar feeling maybe to the abs activating and the brake pedal vibrating) Except it was the whole car vibrating, seemed like something was getting caught in the transmission.
For the last few days in first gear, it sounded different as if a very faint grinding like sandpaper. But other gears (2,3,4) were fine.

Transmission fluid looked clean, and I had just done a full sync. oil Change.
I did see a little leak around the trans pan gasket but nothing major as the transmission fluid level was correct and not even below the mid mark.
Well tonight car decided to give up and I was lucky enough to be close to home from my univ. Got picked up by family.
Car won't move in either gears, if it did move its for a few seconds and then loses all power but the engines still running. Seems like the torque converter isn't catching?
Will probably need to change out this transmission, if it's not the torque converter.

No idea why this would fail on me now. But knew it was coming from my previous issues.
Probably sound have scanned it before leaving it but that completely skipped my mind.
Typing this on my phone atm. Will edit if needed tomorrow.
my 99 with 200K miles had very similar symptoms and died 2 miles from my workshop. had to be towed.
I am looking at putting in a used tranny. engine, air, int and ext are still good on it.
let me know what options you are looking at.
Old 10-25-18, 08:33 AM
wmj259
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by harrisbaig
my 99 with 200K miles had very similar symptoms and died 2 miles from my workshop. had to be towed.
I am looking at putting in a used tranny. engine, air, int and ext are still good on it.
let me know what options you are looking at.
Looking around for low-mile transmissions.
I did see a video for rebuilding a transmission:
(good education video for u140e)

of course this comes with the danger of messing up,
Buying a used transmission still doesn't guarantee the same problem won't happen, but rebuilding it could make it last longer.
The following users liked this post:
MichaelPm (10-29-18)