ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

used vs rebuilt tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-18 | 05:46 AM
harrisbaig
Driver

Default used vs rebuilt tranny

please share your experience. I am struggling to decide what to do on my 99 es300. it is at my mechanic who initially wanted to do a swap with a junkyard tranny but has not found a match as yet.
he has pulled the tranny down so I am kind of stuck at his shop.
I am now thinking of going the rebuilt route. some shops have quoted 2000 including installation.
engine, ac, int and ext are all good. new suspension, tires and battery. I was planning to keep it until this happened. it just turned over 200. I have had it for the last 80K miles and have been religious about maintenance.
please advice. I would hate to junk it.
The following users liked this post:
wmj259 (10-29-18)
Old 10-29-18 | 06:26 AM
funcrusher
Racer

My friend ordered a gs tranny from japan with low miles years ago. No idea what the the site was but I know there has to be some for es. I’d probably go that route...
Old 10-29-18 | 08:29 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Any used tranny is likely at this point in time to be:

a) high mileage, and
b) have the same original construction defects that lead to failure in this model transmission.

With a used transmission, you have a difficult to quantify but very real risk of being right back in the same spot you are in today before very long.

A rebuild, properly done (problematic thrust bearings replaced as well as torque converter, frictions, discs, etc.) will likely be highly reliable and outlive the car going forwrd. Personally, I would never consider a used transmission for a 99 to 01 ES.
The following 2 users liked this post by Oro:
harrisbaig (10-30-18), wmj259 (10-29-18)
Old 10-29-18 | 10:03 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

If you can find a low mileage unit and can verify the source as reputable, I would go used. Realistically, how long do you see yourself owning the car for? If it lasts another 100k, would that be sufficient for you?
As Oro pointed, a rebuild will be the most reliable method, however it's also pricey. You could get another ES for that sort of money and swap over components.

My 98 is at 277k right now with the original tranny. If I can just figure out why my car shakes at high speed, I would be a very happy camper.
Old 10-30-18 | 06:05 AM
harrisbaig
Driver

Originally Posted by MrBooby
If you can find a low mileage unit and can verify the source as reputable, I would go used. Realistically, how long do you see yourself owning the car for? If it lasts another 100k, would that be sufficient for you?
As Oro pointed, a rebuild will be the most reliable method, however it's also pricey. You could get another ES for that sort of money and swap over components.

My 98 is at 277k right now with the original tranny. If I can just figure out why my car shakes at high speed, I would be a very happy camper.
yes, I think the car can last another 100K
the low mileage Japanese trannys are not the exact fit as they are not from a 99 es but a newer lexus or Toyota. my mechanic is uncomfortable taking a chance with those.
rebuilts are between 1900-2500.
I have spent about 1500 over the last 6 months on the car. steering pump, lower control arms, tires, battery. the car was driving so good, I didn't realize this would happen. I had the atf drained and refilled within the month of tranny failure. I bet that had something to do with it.
I should have let the rusted atf alone
Old 11-04-18 | 07:36 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by harrisbaig
yes, I think the car can last another 100K
the low mileage Japanese trannys are not the exact fit as they are not from a 99 es but a newer lexus or Toyota. my mechanic is uncomfortable taking a chance with those.
rebuilts are between 1900-2500.
I have spent about 1500 over the last 6 months on the car. steering pump, lower control arms, tires, battery. the car was driving so good, I didn't realize this would happen. I had the atf drained and refilled within the month of tranny failure. I bet that had something to do with it.
I should have let the rusted atf alone
Yeah, many report tranny failure after full flush, depending on mileage. How many miles was the car when the first one was done?
Old 11-05-18 | 04:53 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ilkinandr
Yeah, many report tranny failure after full flush, depending on mileage. How many miles was the car when the first one was done?
A lot of "full flush" services are from folks who have a failing transmissions, who look to miracles. Replacing bad fluid with good is very UNLIKELY to cause a problem. It might speed up an incipient failure, but not by much.

Care to put facts to the myth and give a real example?

This is one of those internet myths that needs to die...
Old 11-05-18 | 05:15 AM
harrisbaig
Driver

Originally Posted by Oro
A lot of "full flush" services are from folks who have a failing transmissions, who look to miracles. Replacing bad fluid with good is very UNLIKELY to cause a problem. It might speed up an incipient failure, but not by much.

Care to put facts to the myth and give a real example?

This is one of those internet myths that needs to die...
yes, inever flushed it. just drained and fill. I was not trying to save a dying tranny, just trying to do regular maintenance.
car had just turned 200!
now I got its tranny repaired and it is driving like new again. they thought the tranny cooler may have failed, so they have added a separate cooler.