ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need Pictures of 16's on 1992 ES

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-03, 12:24 AM
xsohaib
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Pictures of 16's on 1992 ES

I guess I am retarded or something but I can't tell the difference (in pictures) between the 16 inch rims and 17 inch rims. I have gone through many pictures in the gallery and through the interactive tire selector at tire rack but I need real pictures please. Therefore I would like to request the list to kindly post some pictures of 16 inch rims on lexus es 300's. I am leaning towards 16 inch rims with a 1.8 inch drop. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have already bought the springs. I shall be making a 2000mile journey in the Lex, with luggage etc in the back so thats why I am kindda wondering if I should go with the 17's (rubbing?). I would really appreciate this

Thanks
Sohaib
Old 07-26-03, 03:25 PM
xsohaib
Driver

anyone?
Old 07-26-03, 06:53 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have any pics of 16's on first gen (most people jump straight to 17" or 18" when upgrading.) However, check out pics of 2000-01 ES's with stock 16's, either here or on Autotrader or Ebay. The tire size would be the same as if you used it on a '92 (205/60-16), so by looking at a newer ES with 16's, you can get an idea of sidewall height and fender gap.
Old 07-27-03, 12:15 AM
badams
Pole Position

I have 17's (IS300 rims and tires) and with 45 series tires on my 1996 ES300 and they are smaller in overall diameter than the stock 15 inch rims and 65 series tires I had before.

I'd suggest just going with 17's, you'll be glad you did.

Mine wouldn't rub unless I had an elephant sitting on the car.

Try using the Miata.net Tire Size Calculator to help find the perfect size rim and tire (in relation to the stock ones) http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

badams
Attached Thumbnails Need Pictures of 16's on 1992 ES-badams-es300_sm.jpg  
Old 07-27-03, 12:18 AM
badams
Pole Position

If you are going to drop the car 1.8 inches, a 40 series tire may be better. Although I doubt my car would rub with a 1.8 inch drop.

What springs are you getting that offer a 1.8 inch drop?

badams
Old 07-27-03, 12:22 AM
badams
Pole Position

Here is a first generation ES300 with 16's! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=89946

badams
Old 07-27-03, 02:48 PM
xsohaib
Driver

The springs that I intend on using are called ST springs (the link is given at the bottom)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2424020853

I am currently talking to a friend who is planning on upgrading to 18 inch rims for his IS300, hence I may be able to get his 17 inch stock IS rims. Although one of the rims is scratched, it shouldn't be too bad. If that does not go through I shall buy some 16 inch rims from Discount tire which can be had for approximately $350 including tax etc etc.

Thanks so much for the input, because I was really geting puzzled about the rims sizes. Things were made even more confusing when I discovered that the stock IS300 rims also come in 16 inch as well as 17 inch sizes.

Thanks
Sohaib
92 ES300
Old 07-28-03, 07:00 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by badams
I have 17's (IS300 rims and tires) and with 45 series tires on my 1996 ES300 and they are smaller in overall diameter than the stock 15 inch rims and 65 series tires I had before.

I'd suggest just going with 17's, you'll be glad you did.

Mine wouldn't rub unless I had an elephant sitting on the car.

Try using the Miata.net Tire Size Calculator to help find the perfect size rim and tire (in relation to the stock ones) http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

badams
Those look great! How much better is the handling? But also, how much rougher is the ride!?
Old 07-28-03, 08:08 AM
badams
Pole Position

In responce to ES3

The handling is way, way better! I told soneone in another post that with my old 15" stock rims and the 65 series tires my car felt like it was riding on Jello, especially when cornering. You just felt like the tires were gonna roll right off the rims or pop or something.

After I put the 17" rims on, the car immediately felt like a car that could handle the road. It rides more like it is on rails than on Jello. If I was going to rate the car on a scale from 1 to 10 (10 being the best) with the old rims and tires I'd give the handling a 4 and the ride a 9.

With the new rims and tires I'd give the handling a 9 and the ride an 8.

Yes, I did lose a little in the ride, but what I gained in the handling far outweighs what little I lost in the ride. Now that I've had them on for 9 months I can't remember what the ride felt like before, but I sure remember the crappy handling.

There is no way I could ever go back to the old 15" rims and 65 series tires now...especially since I've sold them. No, but seriously, this car should have had these rims and tires on it originally.

If you wanted a slightly better ride with the 17" rims, you could go with a 50 series tire, that ends up making the tire the same diameter as the original 15" rim and 65 series tire...which is 25.5 inches. With my 45 series tire the diameter ends up at 24.6 inches.

When I bought my rims they came with the original IS300 45 series tires so I kept them. Now that I am used to them I'll probably go with 45's again when these wear out.

badams
Old 07-28-03, 08:22 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Badams,

Thanks for the insight. If the ride isn't all that bumpy I'll likely consider a similar upgrade, as I too know the feeling of cornering on the stock wheels. Only problem is I live in the midwest, so the wheeels will probably be a problem in the snow. Guess I'll have to just swap out in the cold months, huh?

Tell me, roughly how much you paid for the rims/tires. Did you lower your suspension too?
Old 07-28-03, 08:33 AM
badams
Pole Position

I got my rims/tires from www.is300.net, this is a web site similar to ClubLexus but only deals with IS300's, everyone there is replacing their IS300 rims and getting 18's, 19's or 20's so they sell their 17's cheap. I paid $550 for all 4 rims, fairly new tires (Bridgestone Potenza's 215/45-17) and shipping from Florida to California for $550.00. If you go to www.is300.net look under "forums", then under "marketplace" or someing similar to that. Usually rims and tires go for around $500. You can also check ebay, but they tend to sell at higher prices. Be careful with whoever you buy from, any time I send anyone more than a couple hundred I make sure I can track my money or get it back...like if you use a credit card.

I haven't lowered my car yet, although I would like to replace the springs with 1 to 1.5 inch drop springs and get new struts. There is a guy on ClubLexis named "FrankJrsES" that has the same rims and tires as me and a 1 inch drop. You can find his pictures in the gallery. His car is maroon, you can't miss it.

I wouldn't think these rims/tires would do well in the snow. Me being from California, I only see snow when I intentionally drive to it, even then it takes 2½ to 3 hours to get to any. That must suck changing your rims/tires everytime it snows? I also have an RX300, so I can just take that to places that requires better tires.

badams
Old 07-28-03, 09:02 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I got my rims/tires from www.is300.net, this is a web site similar to ClubLexus but only deals with IS300's, everyone there is replacing their IS300 rims and getting 18's, 19's or 20's so they sell their 17's cheap. I paid $550 for all 4 rims, fairly new tires (Bridgestone Potenza's 215/45-17) and shipping from Florida to California for $550.00. If you go to www.is300.net look under "forums", then under "marketplace" or someing similar to that. Usually rims and tires go for around $500. You can also check ebay, but they tend to sell at higher prices. Be careful with whoever you buy from, any time I send anyone more than a couple hundred I make sure I can track my money or get it back...like if you use a credit card.

I haven't lowered my car yet, although I would like to replace the springs with 1 to 1.5 inch drop springs and get new struts. There is a guy on ClubLexis named "FrankJrsES" that has the same rims and tires as me and a 1 inch drop. You can find his pictures in the gallery. His car is maroon, you can't miss it.

I wouldn't think these rims/tires would do well in the snow. Me being from California, I only see snow when I intentionally drive to it, even then it takes 2½ to 3 hours to get to any. That must suck changing your rims/tires everytime it snows? I also have an RX300, so I can just take that to places that requires better tires.

badams
Hey thanks man! Another question, I do tons of highway driving, so I'm a bit concerned about giving up my cushy ride... in order to gain the great handling in the corners. But to clarify, you say the ride isn't that much bumpier or solid with the new tires?

Yeah, winter sucks here, but that's the price we pay for seasons and being near The Big Lake.
Old 07-28-03, 10:11 AM
badams
Pole Position

I really hate when you just got done typing like two paragraphs worth of info then click, "Submit Reply" only to get some error in your browser, then you realize you just lost everything you typed because you can't go "<-- Back" on this web site.

Okay, here I go again:

I'll type less this time. I figure the IS300 is also a Lexus right? Granted it isn't the same as an ES300 but they are both Lexus. If the rims and tires made the ride too bumpy then they probably never would have put them on the IS300 to begin with.

My ride is slightly bumpier than it was with my stock rims and tires. I also drive mostly highway, I drive 30 minutes (27 miles) each way to work, all of it is highway except for the first and last mile. My ride is still very nice, I kept falling asleep last week on the way to work it was so nice...although I am also on pain medication from an accident 2 weeks ago in our RX.

The only time I really "feel" like the ride is too bumpy or stiff is when my rims and tires dive into some gaping pothole and it feels like my rim just split open. Or when I hit a speed bump that I didn't see. other than that the ride feels pretty much the same...but stiffer.

Hell, see if a dealer will let you test drive an IS300, they probably feel the same. Although if you did you might just buy one and forget about changing your ES rims. or test drive the IS300 home, swap the rims and tires and then drive your car.

If you were closer I'd let you drive mine.

badams
Old 07-28-03, 07:37 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I really hate when you just got done typing like two paragraphs worth of info then click, "Submit Reply" only to get some error in your browser, then you realize you just lost everything you typed because you can't go "<-- Back" on this web site.

Okay, here I go again:

I'll type less this time. I figure the IS300 is also a Lexus right? Granted it isn't the same as an ES300 but they are both Lexus. If the rims and tires made the ride too bumpy then they probably never would have put them on the IS300 to begin with.

My ride is slightly bumpier than it was with my stock rims and tires. I also drive mostly highway, I drive 30 minutes (27 miles) each way to work, all of it is highway except for the first and last mile. My ride is still very nice, I kept falling asleep last week on the way to work it was so nice...although I am also on pain medication from an accident 2 weeks ago in our RX.

The only time I really "feel" like the ride is too bumpy or stiff is when my rims and tires dive into some gaping pothole and it feels like my rim just split open. Or when I hit a speed bump that I didn't see. other than that the ride feels pretty much the same...but stiffer.

Hell, see if a dealer will let you test drive an IS300, they probably feel the same. Although if you did you might just buy one and forget about changing your ES rims. or test drive the IS300 home, swap the rims and tires and then drive your car.

If you were closer I'd let you drive mine.

badams
Hey there, normally I'd PM you, but I figure so few people are watching this topic, that we're safe and can hoefully educate others with the same inquiries. First off, so sorry to hear about your accident! I take it everyone is okay!?

I've driven the IS300 a few times as a loaner while my ES was in for service, I LOVE the car. But again it all comes back to the whoel winters crap, with low profile front wheel drive I may survive in snow, with real wheel drive. forget it.

At any rate, I'd love to get something a bit more sporty, but money is the obstacle so perhaps I'll upgrade wheels for the summer and call it my convertible!

By the way, any work with aftermarket HID's? Any recommendations before 8-15-03, when they apparently become banned?

Last edited by ES3; 07-28-03 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-28-03, 11:03 PM
xsohaib
Driver

ES3, right now I am in Alaska and I have a Big Body Mercedes here. The past winter I drove my Mercedes all winter long with the studded snow tires and it was perfect. I also had a Grand Vitara lmtd (SUV) and I did not put any winter tires on it and without the 4wd gear engaged it is essentially a rear wheel drive and I rarely used the 4wd gear, and it got around fine. Moreover I also drove an IS300 in the middle of the winter here with the stock rims and tires and it handles fine on ice as well as in snow. I am flying to TX, which is where my ES300 resides ina storage at the moment and shall be driving to Maine where I shall be staying for the next year or so. But due to the front wheel drive I think I am not too worried, however if there IS a problem I will just put on some used 50 series snow tires.

Hope this helps
Sohaib

PS I am finding this thread very very informative, thanks, especially like the information that if I put 50 series tires on the 17's then I shall attain the same diameter as the stock tires.

Quick Reply: Need Pictures of 16's on 1992 ES