ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Trunk liner clamps

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 05:13 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Trunk liner clamps

I’m going to sound deaden my car this weekend and will have to remove the trunk liner. I’m hoping they won’t break but might get some from the dealer just in case. I talked to them earlier and they said there’s only 12 but I checked and there’s at least 18 counting the 2 sides and trunk lid. Are they pretty strong or will they break when I pop them off? I know some cars have ones that are guaranteed to mess up.

Last edited by funcrusher; 11-19-18 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-23-18, 12:41 PM
funcrusher
Racer

There’s about 30 clips on the trunk lid, side walls, back wall and the tray under the carpet by the spare. The process to put my system in is starting!!
Old 11-24-18, 02:52 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Only a few clips broke in the trunk so I get to return the rest. Sound deadened all 4 doors and the trunk. Much quieter for sure.
Old 11-25-18, 10:44 AM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Only a few clips broke in the trunk so I get to return the rest. Sound deadened all 4 doors and the trunk. Much quieter for sure.
How are you “sound deadening” the doors without interfering with the power windows and what are you using for material?

Last edited by Richardsr; 11-25-18 at 10:49 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-25-18, 02:35 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Originally Posted by Richardsr

How are you “sound deadening” the doors without interfering with the power windows and what are you using for material?

A shop did everything. No idea what brand.
Old 11-28-18, 10:34 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardsr

You would go into the door with the window up and apply to the inside of the outer door panel to keep out road noise. Dynamatt was, for years, demonstrated with 2 "ring bell for service" desktop bells and a piece of Dynamatt the size of a quarter on one of them. The bell with out made a "dinggggggggggggggggggggg" and the one with the quarter sized piece of Dynamatt when "thunk." the idea is that the whole surface doesn't need to be covered. Getting most of the inner side of the outermost piece of doorskin will do wonders and wont affect anything.

AS for brand. The new thing (especially in my local hotrod club) is trying to use similar materials but from the hardware store. They are TAR which OFFGASSES and weakens with heat. Dynamatt, deadskin, etc. is Butyl matt and totally different, although they look the same. My friends all use 3M (as general motors did) in thier $100,000 builds, and its not that expensive.

I've never dont this to a modern car... I have heard that it makes the car literally FEEL more substantial. Has that been your experience?
Old 11-28-18, 12:26 PM
funcrusher
Racer

They didn’t use Dynamat. That brand basically has become so popular that people think it’s called “dynamiting” your car. But it’s bottom of the barrel stuff. I can call the shop if anyone wants the exact brand. I didn’t go to a cheap, fly by night place...

Car doors and trunk lid feel like a Cadillac now when you close them. The car doesn’t sound like a quiet LS now but it’s def more noticeable especially with the music. The volume jumped up and sounds cleaner and that’s with stock speakers that are on their last leg, a blown sub and stock radio. Tires are loud now which doesn’t surprise me because they’re the originals when I bought the car and there’s no other noise to block them out. I’m curious how they’ll sound when I get new ones.

My rear door locks but the actual lock only closes about halfway. I’m guessing the deadener is blocking it so need to take care of that. No complaints other than that. I don’t think it’s worth it unless you’re putting a system in or plan on doing the labor yourself! It’s an all day job.

Last edited by funcrusher; 11-28-18 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 02:07 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Labor my self is no big deal. I watched a video of it being done on a corolla (2005ish) and they said the car literally FELT more substantial on the road. I am not brand bias, just would want to be sure its butyl and not tar. I am so curious what this would do to my es but dont have the time or extra cash to find out quite yet. I WILL be doing every possible surface in my 1950 chevy after I graft in a 1967 camaro frame and use something softer for rear suspension. It will also get modern motor and transmission mounts. the NVH in that thing is unreal I cant stand it. After all of that, it will be much, much better. But back to the ES... its already so quiet, I would love to see 300 lbs of sound deading and what it does

Try the General Altimax if you aren't going to use michellin. They are DARN close and I am a 400,000 mile michellin guy (driving the generals now)
Old 11-28-18, 02:57 PM
funcrusher
Racer

I’m thinking about getting the Michelin Defenders!

Was listening to Sade earlier on the radio. Music Def sounds smoother and cleaner. Cars speeding by on the freeway are non existent to my ears now. Drove by an 18 wheeler and barely heard him. I’m really paying attention now and yeah the sound is trapped inside the car while blocking tons of noise from the outside. I’m happy with this.

Last edited by funcrusher; 11-28-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 03:26 PM
acarapella
Advanced

I’ve had them. Great tire! But the multiple sets of primacy mxv4 and the 2 sets of Premieres that I had were all just a bit nicer. But for the record, I’m pretty impressed with my general Altimax.
Old 11-28-18, 03:40 PM
acarapella
Advanced

ill add.... the reason I tried the altimax was because I had a set that was 50% gone on a "company car" when I got it and immediately threw on the Michellin Premier expecting a huge difference like every other time I went from non-michellin to michellin, and there was barely any change... I made a mental note to try them and just got a set on this 4es. Love them
Old 11-28-18, 04:45 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Actually I just noticed on the tire size sticker that I need 17’s not 16’s so gotta cross out the Defenders

Last edited by funcrusher; 11-28-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-28-18, 08:40 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Dynamat was rated No.1 among 10 other brands at this site, but it is a bit pricy.

https://soundproofliving.com/automot...ing-materials/

Most of the background noise in my ‘05 ES330 seems to come from behind me, so I thought I’d practice on the trunk area and under and behind the rear seat first. I don’t know if I’ll go with Dynamat because if you google “sound deadening for cars”, there’s a bunch of it out there.
Old 11-29-18, 06:09 AM
acarapella
Advanced

I haven’t been under the rear seat of a 4es but in an Avalon I can say there was a decent amount already there. The trunk is quite a bit of a tin can BUT the sound has to make it through the back rest of the rear seat for you to hear it, so other than the small pass through, seems like behind the rear cushion might be enough
Old 11-29-18, 08:18 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Well, I’m replacing my backup lights with some LEDs and have to remove the trunk liner and figured while I’m in there I’d soundproof the trunk because of the tin can effect and because it’ll give me an easy garage job. Most of the noise I do hear seems to come from behind me so I’ll put some 10mm foam under and behind the rear seat, and check out how hard removing rear
carpet is while I’m there.

I’ll have to get real brave or crazy to attempt removing a console, but I’d like to do the front floor. Don’t see me removing door panels soon either even though I’d like to soundproof them also. I’ll read up on these.

Quick Reply: Trunk liner clamps