ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power Steering and Rack Pressure Lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-18, 07:23 PM
Parson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering and Rack Pressure Lines

Hey guys. I am doing some work on my 1998 ES300 and I have come across a pretty bad power steering leak where the pressure line and the return line connect to the steering rack. I am not entirely certain where it is coming from yet, and will need to look closer soon, but I am certain it is from that area. Since I am about to replace the entire front end on this car--hubs, tie rods, struts, sway bar links, control arms, etc--I am thinking about maybe just doing the steering rack as well if there are any problems, or at least the power steering pump and all the pressure lines. That being said, does anyone know how many PS lines there are? I am not 100% sure but I believe there are 4 lines: Reservoir to pump, pump to steering rack, steering rack back to pump, and pump back to reservoir. Is this correct? Are there any other stops that the lines make across the way that would add an extra line? I am curious to know how many lines I should be looking to replace if I end up replacing the entire PS system. A diagram would be nice if anyone has one handy. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-22-18, 09:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,824 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Punch your VIN into this site to get diagrams.
http://www.japan-parts.eu/
Old 11-23-18, 09:22 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Parson
Hey guys. I am doing some work on my 1998 ES300 and I have come across a pretty bad power steering leak where the pressure line and the return line connect to the steering rack. I am not entirely certain where it is coming from yet, and will need to look closer soon, but I am certain it is from that area. Since I am about to replace the entire front end on this car--hubs, tie rods, struts, sway bar links, control arms, etc--I am thinking about maybe just doing the steering rack as well if there are any problems, or at least the power steering pump and all the pressure lines. That being said, does anyone know how many PS lines there are? I am not 100% sure but I believe there are 4 lines: Reservoir to pump, pump to steering rack, steering rack back to pump, and pump back to reservoir. Is this correct? Are there any other stops that the lines make across the way that would add an extra line? I am curious to know how many lines I should be looking to replace if I end up replacing the entire PS system. A diagram would be nice if anyone has one handy. Thanks in advance!
Why are you doing all this work to the car? I would only replace the broken and/or worn out components. Inspect the power steering lines for rust and/or leakage and replace the broken ones.
I recently had a bad power steering leak because I didn't replace the corroded lines in time. Spotted the issue during the summer and thought I had plenty of time to get it done, turns out they were very close to failing. The increased pressure from the new set of tires overpowered the rust and ruptured two lines.

There is one metal line (#11) that splits into two lines at the driver side of the rack. It runs along the steering rack from the driver side to the passenger.
The second line(#13) connects to the first and runs from the passenger corner along the subframe, past the oil pan, and snakes up next to the washer fluid container.

I've also heard of people having issues with the pressure line(#10) that snakes up to the pump from the rack and sits behind the engine intake plenum. Mine is still okay.

The lines from the reservoir to the pump and vice versa should be fine. (#12 & #14) There is very little pressure in those. Unless they're dry rotted, no need to replace.