ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Ignition having tough time starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-18, 11:46 AM
jtayls
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition having tough time starting

Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 ES300. For the last few months when I turn the keys in the ignition, I seemingly have to turn them several times to get the car to start up. Sometimes it starts up right away, but much of the time I have to turn the keys several times. I replaced the car battery last month and the issue was happening before then so it doesn't seem that would be the issue. What other problems might it be? Starter? Fuel filter? Ignition switch? Any help is VERY appreciated!
Old 12-12-18, 02:04 PM
wmj259
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Any Warning Lights? If you go to any car parts store, they can test your starting, charging, and battery system. It will help you find out if the issue is with the starter or battery (due to cold weather)
Old 12-12-18, 02:38 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jtayls
Hello everyone,

I have a 2000 ES300. For the last few months when I turn the keys in the ignition, I seemingly have to turn them several times to get the car to start up. Sometimes it starts up right away, but much of the time I have to turn the keys several times. I replaced the car battery last month and the issue was happening before then so it doesn't seem that would be the issue. What other problems might it be? Starter? Fuel filter? Ignition switch? Any help is VERY appreciated!
When you say the car won't start, does it at least turn over and tries to start, or nothing happends.

Does your Security light turn off when you try to start it?

Any Codes in Memory?

Old 12-12-18, 06:04 PM
jtayls
Driver School Candidate

I went by Autozone this evening after the recommendation from wmj259 -- oddly enough, no codes from any of their tests. I'm perplexed!

So PFB, when I try to start it, it sounds like 1 click takes place at some point when the key is turning, but the car won't start. Then I try a few more times, it sounds like it's trying then it will turn over and actually start after a few tries.

By the way, when I checked the cables tied to the battery terminals, they are well secure (I thought maybe one would be loose or something which would cause some randomness).

Let me know if you there are additional thoughts.
Old 12-12-18, 07:22 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I went by Autozone this evening after the recommendation from wmj259 -- oddly enough, no codes from any of their tests. I'm perplexed!

So PFB, when I try to start it, it sounds like 1 click takes place at some point when the key is turning, but the car won't start. Then I try a few more times, it sounds like it's trying then it will turn over and actually start after a few tries.

By the way, when I checked the cables tied to the battery terminals, they are well secure (I thought maybe one would be loose or something which would cause some randomness).

check the other ends of your ground cables to make sure they are tight and clean. Check pos cable coming from your starter to make sure its tight and clean.
Old 12-12-18, 07:37 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Are you saying the Starter isn’t starting? Or is the Starter turning and the engine isn’t starting?

If the Starter isn’t turning, then it “sounds like” a cable loose of one the cables that might have been re-arranged getting the battery in. Clean any connectors you find, including ground points while you’re checking. Be sure to check and clean the Starter connector. A small wire brush, a rag and alcohol works great.

Good luck.

Old 12-13-18, 05:53 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It could be your starter.

Next time it happens, tap the starter hard, several times with a broom stick. It helps to have 2 people. 1 hitting the starter, and the other person trying to start.

its easy to reach the starter from the top.

Uf it than starts, it’s your starter.
Old 12-13-18, 10:56 AM
camlobe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
It could be your starter.

Next time it happens, tap the starter hard, several times with a broom stick. It helps to have 2 people. 1 hitting the starter, and the other person trying to start.

its easy to reach the starter from the top.

Uf it than starts, it’s your starter.
I second the above. It could be the starter. I had starter problems on my car before I replaced the starter and all is now good. Usually, a starter motor will show signs of going south by intermittent hard starts. It may start perfectly fine one day and have trouble starting the next. Usually, it is the voltage regulator or the starter motor itself, regulator has worn bushing or starter has worn windings. Get it checked before it leaves you stranded, a tow truck can often take a long time to get to you if you break down during rush hour. Most start problems are either fuel related or ignition related. If fuel pressure is good, check all along the chain of the starter beginning with the fuse, I have seen a bad fuse cause all kinds of problems with the starter circuit. Wiggle the fuse for the starter motor and fuel pump to clean up any oxidation on the contact surface or better yet, take the fuse out and clean it and observe or test for continuity. Hitting the starter with a good jab with a broom handle can wake it up the next time it acts up and if it starts up, I would suspect it is the starter.
Old 12-18-18, 09:26 AM
Synes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the fuel pump?
Or have the ECU checked also,