ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-18, 03:38 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts
Default DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement

Here’s how to replace the stabilizer bar links and bushings on a Toyota Camry (or any FWD Toyota/Lexus):
Front end clunks over bumps are a common occurrence on many vehicles with worn suspension parts. The stabilizer bar end links have two ball sockets on either end which can wear out. Additionally the sway bar bushings, which attach the sway bar to the sub-frame can also enlarge, become dry and worn and cause the sway bar itself to have excessive play and clunk, knock, click or pop when the car is driven on a bumpy road.

To diagnose this, disconnecting the two sway bar end links and taking the vehicle for a test drive can narrow the problem down. This video is a step by step tutorial on to replace the stabilizer bar links and bushings on many FWD Toyota vehicles, such as the Toyota Yaris, Echo, Matrix, Corolla, Camry, Sienna, Highlander, Avalon, Solara and Lexus RX300, RX330, RX350, ES300, ES330 and ES350.

To replace the end links, two nuts are removed, one from the strut, and the other from the sway bar.

DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-fnh23jj.jpg
Even after double wrenching and PB blaster, I couldn’t get the sway bar link nut to break free:
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-e32zau3.jpg

So I had to grind it off:
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-6gqjvzx.jpg

The new link is an Original Grade part from Mevotech. I like how the boot is enclosed with a ring clip instead of opened out like the old link:
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-jzulaq8.jpg
To replace the sway bar bushings, the sub-frame has to be dropped slightly to access two rear bracket bolts. This is because the sway bar bolts on top of the sub-frame, but is underneath the body, not leaving enough room to back off the bolt.
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-gutkjqo.jpg

The front bracket bolt can be removed using a ratchet through the wheel well.
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-ctgutev.jpg
Ratchet on the 12mm bolt, one click at a time:
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-cjrkktn.jpg
Rear bracket bolt, with a ratcheting wrench:
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-qmabqcs.jpg
Its too close to the body of the car, hence the subframe has to be dropped:
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-g4vujev.jpg
Release these three bolts to drop the subframe:
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-wgwpprb.jpg
The bracket has an arrow on it, possibly indicating the front of the vehicle although the bracket looks symmetrical.
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-mg8ho0a.jpg
I used a Mevotech Supreme bushing as a replacement, and installed it the same way as removing it.
I put some brake grease on the rubber to prevent squeaking, since it seemed like there was some grease on the OEM bushing that I pulled off.
New stabilizer link installed and torqued to 55 lb-ft.
DIY: Sway Bar Bushings and Stabilizer Link Replacement-p582wsh.jpg

Enjoy!

Old 12-28-18, 10:43 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Another excellent DIY with sharp video and pictures! Thank you for posting, I'm sure this will come in handy for many.
Old 01-05-19, 02:11 PM
djayz4u
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Symtpoms

What are symptoms that these parts need to be replaced? Would it cause the engine to shake upon acceleration? I have replaced the dogbone. I have 241,000 miles on my car (ES 330) and I am getting a horrible shaking above 30 mph on acceleration and as the car decelerates. When idle/park the engine does not shake even when I press on the accelerator. On a further note, I do hear some 'grinding', similar to when the caliper is sticking to the rotors but my brakes are fine. You can hear the revolutions as I increase speeds, then it goes away after the 3rd or 4th acceleration. I also hear a noise when I turn right, but only on the 1st or send turn, then that goes away as well.