ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

reflector housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-03, 06:41 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by manlee
yeah, i will still try to do it.
checking some options here to see if i can find some HID reflector housings.
Hey there, did you ever have any luck finding HID housings to fit in your '97 ES?
Old 09-08-03, 02:05 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 6000K phillips kit in my '93 ES hal. projectors a weeka go. I aimed them as I normally would by measuring the hight at 15ft and dropping an inch and a half(Cause it should be done at 25ft)

I've yet to get flashed in a week.

AFA the halo, I've had friends drive around me and over hills... Honestly the glare isn't any more than anything else AFA I could tell... My projectors are aimed slightly inward and have about a lane hotspot each... No glare when passing someone in the other lanes.

The cutoff lines are "sharp enough". Honest to god the cutoff line from close is sharp, and from far is just slgihtly blurry... Ya can't tell a differance. Guess I got lucky... The color change isn't purple. My colorchange at the cutoffs goes white then a tiny bit of orange in places... Keep in mind new 6K bulbs, so they haven't turned colors yet.

I will say yes, there is one neat thing about the way the 2-96 projectors are. It's the way they're mounted... The light from the projector lens bounces off the sides of the highbeams and because the highbeam is rounded, it creates a dim "line of light" that extends around 85deg off the centerline and runs from the bottom angle (the ground around two/three lanes over) to what I would guess is 70deg up.

It's a really kewl effect in tunnels. The best way I could describe it is like people that aim their fogs WAY too far to the outside lanes to act like cornering lights.

it's like that, just not very bright(not bright enough to blind anyone... Not really enouhg to notice unless you're looking for it)

AFA light reflected upwards... I haven't noticed any extra light going under overpasses, against walls in a tunnel, behind big trucks...

Where the cutoff line is, is where the light stops... FYI the chrome plating under the projector dosen't shoot any light upwards either from what I can Tell... I wonder why.
Old 09-08-03, 02:11 AM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Or to put it shortly... I haven't ahd a problem with my 93 prjectors... obviously not a substitue for OEM stuff, but I really don't see how in hell they could be any better.

Light spreads very well from what I can tell so far...
No glare problems
Hotspots are not a problem
Light shooting up isn't a problem

BTW I passed a Mustange GT with a s/c, guy said he was pushing near 500 at the crank (blah blah blah)

Long story short, I came from miles behind him cruising 90-95 on the open interstate in the same lane he was in. Moved over to pass(i didn't know what he was in) Anways, he raced up to me and we pulled over at a truck stop. He told me how he loved the lights. I asked him about the stang cause it was moving fast LoL!

I asked if there were glare problems, or if they were shining too high in his eyes.
He said no...

Obviously, I'm never touhcing the lights... they work perfect, noone has a problem with them, If it aint broke, I'm not spending what's now what I consider a waste of time and effort on my car by fixing something, that aint broke.

Yes. OEM will spread the light better, but I have light going from dim to bright to dim from one far side to the other and no glaring issues. End of story...
Old 09-08-03, 06:36 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Great work! Sounds like you've had some major success! I'm a bit more sketchy about the '97 ES's halogen housings, than your projector housings. I just don't know that they'll work as well, housing a dropped in HID kit, But again, I don't really wanna fork out the big cash to find used HID housings from a 00 or 01 ES3.?
Old 09-08-03, 01:31 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Thanks. If ya dig the post in the last few pages of the lighting section I made on ordering them, you'll see the aiming problems I had right before I stuck them in. (always something aint it...) Pics are still to come... Waiting on a camera to borrow.

BTW I don't mean to sound arguementitive if it comes accross that way. I know I'm an exception to the rule. I guess I just lucked out and the projectors and the bulbs just line up right, or close to it.

Had glare or cutoffs been a problem, they'd be on their way back heh. Whatever you do, just make sure you don't swap to dim knock-off lights that are dangerous and don't throw HID's in a housing that aint gonna cut the light off correctly.

Last edited by Toysrme; 09-08-03 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-08-03, 04:00 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Toysrme
Thanks. If ya dig the post in the last few pages of the lighting section I made on ordering them, you'll see the aiming problems I had right before I stuck them in. (always something aint it...) Pics are still to come... Waiting on a camera to borrow.

BTW I don't mean to sound arguementitive if it comes accross that way. I know I'm an exception to the rule. I guess I just lucked out and the projectors and the bulbs just line up right, or close to it.

Had glare or cutoffs been a problem, they'd be on their way back heh. Whatever you do, just make sure you don't swap to dim knock-off lights that are dangerous and don't throw HID's in a housing that aint gonna cut the light off correctly.
Good deal, will do. I think I am gonna still try to find OEM HID housings bulbs ballasts and levelers, that way I know it should be done right. ALthough I'm still not sure if they'll fit accurately, but it's worth a try. Regarding your light beam, how do you know where it's supposed to cut off?