ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2005 ES330 Automatic Transmission Filter Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-19, 08:27 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 2005 ES330 Automatic Transmission Filter Kit?

Want to do a Automatic Transmission Service... Change fluid and the filter. After poking the internet pretty good, I ‘ve found an aftermarket kit with a filter, a larger gasket and an O-ring. Does Toyota/Lexus sell such a kit? And forgive me, but I haven’t been under my car or any car for that matter for years because I’m too old to get up anymore. Get it? So please excuse the question, but what is the O-ring for?

Here’s a picture of from an aftermarket add of what I’m looking for...

Well, I tried to bring the picture forward, but to no avail, so you’ll have to click on the aftermarket kit link for a view. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Trans-...AAAOSwZB1bm5vZ

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-23-19, 09:06 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

This about what I’m looking for. IOW, a Toyota/Lexus kit like this.

​​​​​​
Old 01-23-19, 09:15 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

I dont believe the dealer sells this kit.
Individual parts maybe.

That O-ring looks like it goes to the other side of the filter where it mates up to the valve body.

Honestly, i have only been changing my T-IV fluid every 20-30k and have not touched the filter. Lol
Old 01-24-19, 09:54 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 370 Likes on 321 Posts

Some of the filters on these cars are not paper filters, but rather steel mesh screens. I don't know what's on a 2005, but the 2002 came that way.

I have seen reports at TN where replacing the factory installed mesh filter with an aftermarket paper filter reduced pump flow and created fluid starvation. This may or may not apply to your case, but be aware of it in case of complications. If you pull your filter out and it is steel mesh, I would not replace it with a non-dealer filter.
Old 01-25-19, 06:38 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses, guys. I plan on going full Genuine OEM on this little venture, but to my dismay I now recall my buddy at his Quick-Lube telling me some months ago that my car “had no filter”. I hate to school him at his own business and don’t want to walk in with my parts in hand, so maybe I’ll talk with him first and see what he allows. I doubt even he has the Toyota ATF fluid I want installed and as much as I want to use Toyota fluid installed, other ClubLexus threads on this same question reveal that there’s a fair many that use other ATF brands. So, what’s deal there?

My car has 125K on it and I know the pan has been dropped and filter replaced at least once with simple drain-and-replace in between and the juice looks and smells great and having no problems.... just what I’d call timely preventive maintenance, OCD style. I do want the pan pulled and cleaned this time and gasket replaced (unless convinced otherwise here) and filter replaced correctly, with O-ring/Gasket in place correctly and if I have to get in the stall with him, I will.

Cheers

Old 01-26-19, 05:45 AM
Oro
Racer

but to my dismay I now recall my buddy at his Quick-Lube telling me some months ago that my car “had no filter”.
He's probably telling you the same thing I was saying above - the "filter" is a mesh screen that is not designed to be cleaned or replaced. It is effectively not a true fluid filter and only a "rock catcher." I'm not sure if he's saying that based on servicing your car (sounds like not), or experience with others with the U150E (sounds like this).

If you know it has been serviced once before, it is possible they left the mesh in, or it could have been replaced with an aftermarket paper one. The oil pick-up tube and general pan shape will allow a U140E filter to fit, and that's what parts application manuals will tell people to use without regard to what the original installed part actually IS. So going on what's inside your transmission this minute won't be a reliable guide if it has been opened before.

Now let's analyze this for a minute:

For some reason, based on experiences with the U140E transmission, Aisin decided to do away with the paper filter in the U150E and put a more expensive, less effective, higher-flow metal-woven "rock catcher" screen in its place. Given that the U140E is one of the most failure-prone transmissions of any passenger car unit Aisin ever made (it is on par with the worst offerings from ZF and GM), and the U150E is one of the most reliable Aisin has made, I would be really hesitant to change any internal design element of the transmission and especially a change restricting the fluid circuit flow. I would only do this if I was really sure of what I was doing AND tested the pump flow rates afterwards. This can be done with a line pressure test from the take-off port on most transmissions, and the procedure and specs found in the manual for it. The ATSG manual should have the info, or the factory manual if you can get your hands on it.

As mentioned above, I encountered one instance of an owner replacing the mesh screen with an aftermarket paper one that resulted in reduced pump flow and fluid starvation. This was at the TN forum, where I used to be a moderator, and we were helping him with a transmission issue. When I had him put the mesh screen back in, all was well. I imagine there are other cases out there of it happening, and I also imagine many have been swapped with no ill-effect. But one thing I can be pretty certain about is that the engineers at Aisin did not spec that more expensive/higher flow mesh retro-fit into the application after the disaster with the U140E for no reason.

If the pan has been dropped once and wiped out, I would not bother again at 125k miles. I would do drain/fills every 20 to 25k and call it good. If I were uncertain if it had ever been done, I would definitely do it. If you are uncomfortable with the lack of a paper filter, there's a superior $10/15 solution. Get a 3/8" in-line Magnefine filter and install it in one of the two cooler lines to the radiator, a quick job. It works on the post-pump, pressurized part of the fluid circuit and can't restrict flow. They are cheap, work, and are well respected. I put one on in for good measure, but not because I was really scared of the lack of a paper filter.

The WS fluid that came in these is a really mediocre fluid with poor base stocks that shear rapidly and cause slippage. This has been WIDELY noted by many owners, and is a common source of moaning and constant new threads searching for alternatives at BITOG. I would replace it with, in priority order, A) the prior generation TIV fluid, or B) a low-viscosity substitute fluid from Mobil, Valvoline, or other major refiner/reputable brand. Only when I had no choice in the matter and was stuck at a dealership for emergency repair would I put Toyota WS fluid in it. Even then, I would ask if they had T-IV on hand (which they would), and tell them to use it. Friends don't let friend drive with WS.

I have run a WIDE variety of "suitable" fluids in this car - WS, other LV fluids like maxlife, other "T-IV" suitable fluids like castrol IMV, etc. I am back to using T-IV/JWS 3309 and the difference is noticeable. Nothing but that from now on.

And a general FYI, Summit Racing has the genuine T-IV/3309 fluid for $4.50 a quart + shipping. Shipping on 4 quarts to me was $8. Shipping was $10 on 8 to 12 qts, so stock up. As a general reminder, whenever you service your AT is a good time to service the PS fluid, too. (just drain and refill the reservoir). Changing the PS pump on these is a pain.

Two words and I'm done: Lubegard Red

Last edited by Oro; 01-26-19 at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GoatLove (05-11-23)
Old 01-26-19, 09:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,927 Likes on 2,465 Posts

There is no "paper" filter in any of these transmissions not sure where you got that idea. The element looks like this

Old 01-26-19, 04:58 PM
Oro
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There is no "paper" filter in any of these transmissions not sure where you got that idea.
Because that is what the replacement aftermarket filters we are talking about are made of. Not rocket science. The filter element is cellulose. Paper by any other name. Different weave, different density, different color - still cellulose.

So yes, there are paper filters for these.

If you don't understand something, it's best to usually just ask politely to clarify instead of asserting incorrect things a bit rudely.

Old 01-26-19, 05:58 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Oro, not sure what triggered you in Lexus2000’s response. There is nothing insulting in what he wrote. You’re over reacting for absolutely no reason.

You are both very knowledgeable and very helpeful.

There is no need for this.

Thats all I’m going to say

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 01-26-19 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-26-19, 08:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,927 Likes on 2,465 Posts

The felt like filters are likely made from acrylonitrile or maybe rayon from wood pulp. To call it paper is, well just no it's not paper unless you think every textile is "paper".