ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power steering fluid question 2005 ES330

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-19, 11:16 AM
nparthi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering fluid question 2005 ES330

The manual states to use Dexron II or III fluid for my 2005 Es330. It appears that this is nothing but Transmission Fluid which is also uses for power steering. I found the ones in the attached image at my local Ace Hardware (Dexron III/MERCON) and want to confirm if I can use it to replace my power steering fluid.
Old 02-02-19, 11:40 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, its ATF. Toyota T-IV is very similar to dex/merc. I threw Dex/merk in my steering several times, dozens actually, over the years.

Power steering fluid is actually bad for Toyota steering. calls for ATF - says right on the car. I flushed my old stuff out completely and replaced. steers much better
Old 02-02-19, 11:47 AM
acarapella
Advanced

If this helps, car off, first I emptied the reservoir, then I disconnected the line that goes from the rack to the reservoir. I used clear tubing from lowes of the same ID and a barbed coupler and connected a piece of tuning and stuck it in a slit in the top of a large clear jug. do NOT the the hose go down into the jug or the rack could possible suck old stuff back in. I had this happen with my honda - sucked old generic steering fluid in and as honda people will all tell you, this causes the honda system to whip up a froth. wasnt fun.

Next, a clear piece of tube goes on the barb on the reservoir where the return line was, and up in the air so the reservoir doesn't leak. With the car jacked up and NOT running, turn the wheel lock to lock WHILE keeping the reservoir full of the new stuff, it will cycle out all of the old. You'll notice your clear tube from the return line turn bright red once all the old stuff is cycled out.
The following users liked this post:
wmj259 (02-02-19)
Old 02-02-19, 12:03 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Power steering fluid is actually bad for Toyota steering. calls for ATF - says right on the car. I flushed my old stuff out completely and replaced. steers much better
Hey acarapella, this is for my knowledge but how is ps fluid bad for any hydraulic Toyota steering?
All Toyota/Lexus new vehicles come with amber type of ps fluid from the factory which i think is ps fluid and not Dextron, TypeT or WS (Red)

I use dextron as well or ps fluid.
Whatever i have in my garage at the moment.

Old 02-02-19, 12:23 PM
acarapella
Advanced

I am speaking of older stuff like the 4es. I am not too sure about newer stuff, but really new stuff will have electric steering. As far as your 4es, though, its ATF and says so on the cap

the previous owner had power steering fluid in my 4es. I would get intermittent hard steering and super loud pump when cold. Did the swap as mentioned above, and fixed. This is common with older Toyotas. people unknowingly put in power steering fluid. Will it work? sure, but the engineers at Toyota said use ATF. Same as type F ATF will probably move a U150E down the road, but I sure as heck wouldn't do it in mine
Old 02-02-19, 02:01 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by acarapella
I am speaking of older stuff like the 4es. I am not too sure about newer stuff, but really new stuff will have electric steering. As far as your 4es, though, its ATF and says so on the cap

the previous owner had power steering fluid in my 4es. I would get intermittent hard steering and super loud pump when cold. Did the swap as mentioned above, and fixed. This is common with older Toyotas. people unknowingly put in power steering fluid. Will it work? sure, but the engineers at Toyota said use ATF. Same as type F ATF will probably move a U150E down the road, but I sure as heck wouldn't do it in mine
Got it.
So its not necessarily "bad", just doesnt flow as well as ATF in your opinion.
I thought bad meaning things would break or seals leaking.
I had to experience that last week with negative 20-25 air temps here.
Well, i guess any fluid would struggle too.
I remember my 96 Acura had a proprietary p/s fluid as most Honda's at that time (not sure now)

I had a 98 RAV bought new and i remember that came with amber fluid even though the cap did say use ATF.
Even my current 00RX say ATF as well.
Funny thing though is, i think all 2019 Toy trucks still use hydraulic p/s pumps.
Same on Lexus' own LX and GX models.

Sorry to the OP for being off topic.

Old 02-02-19, 04:30 PM
acarapella
Advanced

"So its not necessarily "bad", just doesnt flow as well as ATF in your opinion."

It is bad, as it allows cavitation which is the sound I was describing, and its not my opinion but the collective observation of many Toyota enthusiasts realizing the recommendations of the Toyota engineers. I dont mean that to be harsh, I am no one special - I didnt figure this out, I just followed the engineer's directions by recommendation of Toyota purists greater than my self.

Acura and honda are like Toyota lexus and chevy cadillar, yes it was honda fluid. And it reacts with PSF and ATF to make a froth that is devastating to deal with.

That said, you'd be fine with dex merc or T-IV in your lexus steering
Old 02-02-19, 04:44 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

^^^
Understood.
Cant argue with engineers. Lol
Old 02-03-19, 08:04 PM
acarapella
Advanced

lol nope. there I think the difference might be that the ATF swells seals that PSF doesn't, so air gets in? thats how it was explained to me but I am not sure its true. I do know that my 4es responded extremely well to having its PSF replaced with dex merc. I'd love to put a Prius steering colum in it instead. Although thats awfully numb. My Avalon hybrid had weird steering but the effort was great. I wonder if the ES300h is nicer?