ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

06 lexus es330 90k miles for $7k a reasonable deal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 06:11 AM
Wardedman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 06 lexus es330 90k miles for $7k a reasonable deal?

Hey everyone,
The person I'm buying it from took it to her mechanic for a pre purchase inspection. I talked to him on the phone and he said it was in pristine condition, that he would buy it up if he needed a car. Only issue was the rotors are warped so it stutters when getting on the brakes and shakes in the steering wheel around 60mph. It's on winter tires as well, was garage kept and used 3k miles a rear for winter from current owner. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Wardedman; 06-20-19 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-20-19, 06:52 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

"Trust but verify" If you're not able, I would take it to my own mechanic for an unbiased inspection. Search Club Lexus for previous car buying tips.
Old 06-20-19, 07:06 AM
Wardedman
Driver School Candidate

Awesome sauce

Last edited by Wardedman; 06-20-19 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 07:27 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 738 Likes on 520 Posts

$7k for a 13 year old car with 90k on it? Has it had the 90k service? What's the rust on it like?

Pics or more details can help us give you a reasonable offer to present.
Old 06-20-19, 07:30 PM
Wardedman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
$7k for a 13 year old car with 90k on it? Has it had the 90k service? What's the rust on it like?

Pics or more details can help us give you a reasonable offer to present.
Mechanic said it's pristine, I doubt it's had its 90k service. It's worth $7,500 I already talked her down 500, it was garage kept only used 3k miles a year, she used her tbird for summer and the lexus for winter here in alaska.
Old 06-20-19, 07:38 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 738 Likes on 520 Posts

Yeah, used for the winter in Alaska... makes me think it's rusty underneath. Do they use salt on the roads up there? A mechanic's definition of pristine could vary greatly from yours. Service records are king here. You want to know that the 90k service has been done or factor that into the price. Does it have summer tires or winters only? Spare rims? If it sat all summer, every summer then that can be hard on the car for things such as hoses and seals.

Have you laid eyes on the car yet? You need to drive it and examine it and go from there. Have your own, unbiased mechanic give it a once over unless you know what you're looking for.

A well maintained TX ES330 with 90k, service records, and overall great condition may be worth $7k but even then that's a stretch. We know these cars are a great value but still, it's 13 years old at this point.
Old 06-20-19, 07:46 PM
Wardedman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
Yeah, used for the winter in Alaska... makes me think it's rusty underneath. Do they use salt on the roads up there? A mechanic's definition of pristine could vary greatly from yours. Service records are king here. You want to know that the 90k service has been done or factor that into the price. Does it have summer tires or winters only? Spare rims? If it sat all summer, every summer then that can be hard on the car for things such as hoses and seals.

Have you laid eyes on the car yet? You need to drive it and examine it and go from there. Have your own, unbiased mechanic give it a once over unless you know what you're looking for.

A well maintained TX ES330 with 90k, service records, and overall great condition may be worth $7k but even then that's a stretch. We know these cars are a great value but still, it's 13 years old at this point.
They use gravel here hence the joke, Alaskan windshield. yeah i test drove it and inspected, looks great, she kept it in a garage during summer. It has winter tires only. I tried to talk her down to 6k but she took it as an insult. Rotors are warped is the only issue

On another note, me and my buddy rebuilt an old 92 civic still using original hoses lol. My 07 honda is doing well here and I have a 2002 mazda protege that's spent a good part of its life up here no rust underneath.
Old 06-20-19, 07:52 PM
Wardedman
Driver School Candidate

The bank I got a loan from values it at 7500. I'm just wondering if it's worth it, or I should hold it for something newer. I know 13 years is a long time for a car. Kinda burnt on repairs on my other cars, just did a blown gasket on the mazda. My true goal would be to get a brand new car but i don't make enough for that. So used reliable cars is what im stuck with.
Old 06-20-19, 08:33 PM
daredeil95
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wardedman
The bank I got a loan from values it at 7500. I'm just wondering if it's worth it, or I should hold it for something newer. I know 13 years is a long time for a car. Kinda burnt on repairs on my other cars, just did a blown gasket on the mazda. My true goal would be to get a brand new car but i don't make enough for that. So used reliable cars is what im stuck with.
I paid $7700 for a 2005 with 66K on it about a year ago and it has been a great car and I have no complaints, I took it to Lexus to have trans fluid changed for $200 and I had to change the pass side brake caliper & brake line that I did myself for under a $100. IMO, you get what ya pay for and 7K for a pristine ES330 with low mileage is a ok deal especially if you plan on keeping it for awhile. I still feel as though I over paid for my ES330 but, I did get a very good condition car that id fantastic to own & drive. I attached a link below to Lexus, type in the in and it will tell you all service completed by Lexus....this worked well for me, mine was a one owner car and all service was completed at Lexus including oli changes and that was the deciding factor for me to fess-up $7700....good luck.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers
Old 06-20-19, 09:12 PM
Wardedman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daredeil95
I paid $7700 for a 2005 with 66K on it about a year ago and it has been a great car and I have no complaints, I took it to Lexus to have trans fluid changed for $200 and I had to change the pass side brake caliper & brake line that I did myself for under a $100. IMO, you get what ya pay for and 7K for a pristine ES330 with low mileage is a ok deal especially if you plan on keeping it for awhile. I still feel as though I over paid for my ES330 but, I did get a very good condition car that id fantastic to own & drive. I attached a link below to Lexus, type in the in and it will tell you all service completed by Lexus....this worked well for me, mine was a one owner car and all service was completed at Lexus including oli changes and that was the deciding factor for me to fess-up $7700....good luck.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers
Last reported repair was in 2013 so that's not good. She did say she only took it in if the dash light turns on and had a friend do oil changes. It's due for the 90k service too. But this lady know's nothing about cars and I'm surprised the mechanic didn't tell her it's due, I might call them and ask why.
Old 06-21-19, 06:36 AM
daredeil95
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Last reported repair was in 2013 so that's not good. She did say she only took it in if the dash light turns on and had a friend do oil changes. It's due for the 90k service too. But this lady know's nothing about cars and I'm surprised the mechanic didn't tell her it's due, I might call them and ask why.
So, it needs brakes all around and timing belt/water pump service and might as well do the plugs/pcv (100K sevice). Paying for that service is probably $800 for timing/WP, $500 for brakes & $300 for plugs & PCV....rough guess Conn prices. I would explain that to her and get her to drop the price by at least half the maintenance costs. I think 7K might be to much for this car with this work needed so, explain it to her. It's hard dealing with women & cars, they don't know and then they think every dude is trying to rip them off which makes me walk away, it's not worth the hassle.
The following users liked this post:
Wardedman (06-21-19)
Old 06-21-19, 06:41 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah if she did oil changes only when light came on and drove 3k miles year it means it took her almost 2 years between oil changes. Which should of been a maximum of 1 year or 5k miles which ever comes first. Engine could have most deposits build up than intended. Also depending on where you do your service at 90k you got timing belt, water pump, etc. which is 1k+ at Toyota dealer. Can argue that to also lower the cost of the car.
Old 06-21-19, 07:44 AM
Wardedman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by daredeil95
So, it needs brakes all around and timing belt/water pump service and might as well do the plugs/pcv (100K sevice). Paying for that service is probably $800 for timing/WP, $500 for brakes & $300 for plugs & PCV....rough guess Conn prices. I would explain that to her and get her to drop the price by at least half the maintenance costs. I think 7K might be to much for this car with this work needed so, explain it to her. It's hard dealing with women & cars, they don't know and then they think every dude is trying to rip them off which makes me walk away, it's not worth the hassle.
Yeah, thanks I completely agree with you. I'm going to ask her mechanic why he didn't notify her of the 90k maintenance just to back me up so she doesn't think I'm trying to rip her off. If that doesn't work im going to walk. I don't have to have the car I've just been interested in lexus lately and something more comfortable to drive in, plus my old 92 civic is junk lol. I test drove a couple 06 is350's and I instantly wanted one, both burning oil. They stunk and clouds of smoke came out when I got on the gas.
Old 06-21-19, 07:46 AM
Wardedman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ilkinandr
Yeah if she did oil changes only when light came on and drove 3k miles year it means it took her almost 2 years between oil changes. Which should of been a maximum of 1 year or 5k miles which ever comes first. Engine could have most deposits build up than intended. Also depending on where you do your service at 90k you got timing belt, water pump, etc. which is 1k+ at Toyota dealer. Can argue that to also lower the cost of the car.
Aren't these engines prone to sludging up too? Yeah I'll either talk her down or walk. Thanks
Old 06-21-19, 07:54 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Aren't these engines prone to sludging up too? Yeah I'll either talk her down or walk. Thanks
Idk, i have an 05 ES330 and did valve covers at 145k and my engine looked golden on inside, no sludge. Then again i did oil changes on a dot and used premium gas (wanted that extra 10/15HP) lol

BTW check transmission fluid color, make sure its still pink. If they say its life time fluid call BS and will need a change if its anything other than pink. Filter too.

Last edited by ilkinandr; 06-21-19 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: 06 lexus es330 90k miles for $7k a reasonable deal?