ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3000 RPM vibration all gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-19 | 07:41 AM
lexus300rb
Driver School Candidate

Hi Lexus2000, I replaced the down pipe w/converter with a very good shaped used one from CA. New gaskets from front exhaust to the muffler and new hanger for center pipe. Everything looked good, the new center hanger stretched a little but not a bad as before. The exhaust sounds like new again and the vibration at around 3000 rpm is virtually almost gone, very acceptable though. That job is done.
Now to take care of the clunking noise from front suspension. Almost can detect from inside vehicle behind dash toe part of floor board on both sides. Not too long ago replaced swaybar links, but that didn't help. Swaybar bushings seemed OK. I'm thinking maybe in the strut mount or bearing. I believe there was a TSB regarding the situation. When I tackle the job will probably do both strut mounts and bearings with Toyota parts, unless you can tell me if I'm going in the right direction or not. Thanks again for your expertise help with the exhaust.
Old 09-07-19 | 10:03 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

There was a TSB for the strut mounts they had a design flaw that caused rattling, I've yet to find any aftermarket strut mounts (Lexus calls them support sub-assembly) that are worth a damn. I've been told Moog makes good ones but given the price difference to get OEM I don't feel like taking a chance.

Here's the original TSB but the part numbers have probably been superseded since then.
Old 09-08-19 | 06:26 AM
lexus300rb
Driver School Candidate

Hi Lexus2000, do the Toyota strut mounts come with the bearings and rubber or are they separate parts? Pretty expensive if it's just the mount.
Best regards
Old 09-08-19 | 09:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

The bearings are not included.
Old 09-20-19 | 07:13 AM
lexus300rb
Driver School Candidate

Well, I replaced the upper strut mounts (Toyota) with bearings. Pretty much took care of any front end clunking, but there still exists a rattling up front both sides. Wife says it sounds like a loose lid on a glass jar when going over impressions on a blacktop road. So now replaced upper strut mounts w/bearings and sway bar links. What's left? There is no thumping or clunking just a rattle. Double checked all the torques. What am I missing?
Old 09-20-19 | 08:17 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexus300rb
Well, I replaced the upper strut mounts (Toyota) with bearings. Pretty much took care of any front end clunking, but there still exists a rattling up front both sides. Wife says it sounds like a loose lid on a glass jar when going over impressions on a blacktop road. So now replaced upper strut mounts w/bearings and sway bar links. What's left? There is no thumping or clunking just a rattle. Double checked all the torques. What am I missing?
Stabilizer bar bushings, Control arms, ball joints.
Old 09-21-19 | 10:35 AM
lexus300rb
Driver School Candidate

Hi, it is definitely a rattle sound. Wouldn't think sway bar bushings would cause a rattle. When I replaced sway bar links I kinda checked or tried to see if any play was in the sway bar bushing area but was inconclusive. Don't appear to be any driving or steering problems on highway to pin it down to ball joints. These rattles could be a money eating timely situation. I need a good answer to pinpoint before I spend a ton of money any further.
Any other advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-21-19 | 11:03 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Hi, it is definitely a rattle sound. Wouldn't think sway bar bushings would cause a rattle. When I replaced sway bar links I kinda checked or tried to see if any play was in the sway bar bushing area but was inconclusive. Don't appear to be any driving or steering problems on highway to pin it down to ball joints. These rattles could be a money eating timely situation. I need a good answer to pinpoint before I spend a ton of money any further.
Any other advice would be appreciated.
My rattle/clunking was caused by sway bar bushings. They didnt show any sign of issue when testing them. But replacing them solved the issue. Second time I had the noise was during cold weather and strut mounts solved that. Also ball joints or control arms won't always cause driving or streering problems, unless they are very worn out. I also had issue with sway bar links replacement failing as I had China replacement. No one can give you a better answer, we don't have your car, we don't drive it, can't test it.

I had struts replaced before by shop and few weeks later I heard noise and thought it was just a coincidence. Replaced whole rear suspension. Because I thought it couldn't be struts as I just did them. So I know how much money you can put in to solve the issue. One thing I learned is that don't get ****ty shop parts. Buy your own quality parts .
Old 09-25-19 | 01:47 PM
lexus300rb
Driver School Candidate

Well, Lexus2000, ilkinandr, and everyone else, I replaced the front stabilizer bar (sway bar) bushings today. The rattle was still there. Oh well, guess eventually the strut mounts and bushings would have needed replacement. Took wife for another test ride over rough road(she has better hearing than myself) and she claimed rattle was from behind and within the dash which could have come from front suspension I guess. Anyway to close this discussion, I found the source of the rattle. It was coming from the loose fitting cabin air filter located up under middle of dash. Thanks for everone's help and time. I've learned a lot from this message forum.
Old 09-25-19 | 01:53 PM
lexus300rb
Driver School Candidate

Lexus2000, I would also like to thank you for your expertise and time in troubleshooting my exhaust system. I've learned to stick with Toyota OEM parts, though costly.
Old 09-25-19 | 03:23 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Well, Lexus2000, ilkinandr, and everyone else, I replaced the front stabilizer bar (sway bar) bushings today. The rattle was still there. Oh well, guess eventually the strut mounts and bushings would have needed replacement. Took wife for another test ride over rough road(she has better hearing than myself) and she claimed rattle was from behind and within the dash which could have come from front suspension I guess. Anyway to close this discussion, I found the source of the rattle. It was coming from the loose fitting cabin air filter located up under middle of dash. Thanks for everone's help and time. I've learned a lot from this message forum.
Glad you were able to find and resolve the problem.