ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Radiator core support and front end harness

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 02:47 PM
74Strat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator core support and front end harness

Father.in.law gave my daughter a 1999 ES300 with 194K miles. I put a new engine in at 204k. suspension bushings at 230K. Air freshener at 240K. Now, I am putting a new passenger fender, hood, headlights, front bumper cover, radiator and core support at 264K. I removed the fenders and hood, but that core support is very committed to staying put. I tried to straighten the support, but it wasn't square because of a wrinkle that could not be persuaded to knock it off. Also, it (the support) is tied in with a harness that goes from the firewall on driver side, around front of core support, back into firewall on passenger side. So far, I have found about 12 spot welds, but removed only pieces of core support with help of die grinder. I cannot find any video or documents that accurately show the removal/replacement of the core support, nor any thing about the harness. Already have the new parts and ordered the paint, so I am committed, but I cannot find a connector that will liberate the harness - or more important - snake back through the new core support. Ideas? Actual knowledge? Specific instructions??? I changed the core support on my F250 in less time than I have spent looking for instructions on this one! Help? (Oddly, the AC condenser is unharmed, although the top of the radiator tank was terminally disfigured. Huh.)
Greg
Old 08-20-19, 02:56 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,031 Likes on 2,546 Posts

When the car was made they put the harness in somehow so just do that. But seriously junction points will be at the fuse box(es) both under the hood and inside the car. See these diagrams to get an idea of what's going on.
http://www.japan-parts.eu/lexus/us/1...wiring-clamp/1
Old 08-20-19, 03:40 PM
74Strat
Driver School Candidate

Oddly enough, I said mostly the same thing when I looked at it, but the more I looked at it, the darker it got and I couldn't see anything. Started to think my pocketknife and shrink wrap kit was going to get a lot of use. So, you don't know anything about the core support? I am glad I got a "real" compressor and air chisel for my birthday. Or was it Christmas? Either way, my neighbors are pretty unhappy about it. Not like their ears are ringing, or anything. Jeez. Maybe they could get together and purchase a plasma cutter for me... those are a lot quieter!
Thanks!
Old 08-20-19, 04:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 74Strat
So, you don't know anything about the core support?
Know what exactly? If you want specific info then you'll have to get a hold of the body repair manual
https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/Register.aspx
Old 08-21-19, 01:03 PM
74Strat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Know what exactly? If you want specific info then you'll have to get a hold of the body repair manual
https://techinfo.snapon.com/TIS/Register.aspx
YES!!! that was what I was looking for.. except they I.D.'d me. Apparently, you have to have some secret squirrel decoder-card/ring. I tried to bluff, saying I was just looking, you know, for a 'friend,' but they said to take my pathetic cry for help to a real body shop that already has the secret squirrel thingy. I guess they told me. I should have lead with my grandmothers' dying wish was for her car to be fixed before she could die in peace. Oh well.
So, I found the brackets that support the support, on either side of the frame. Unbolted those, and the smaller ones on the inside and then located a coupe more spot welds. Unfortunately, the sun had gone down and and my neighbors walked up with pitch forks and clubs, so I unplugged the compressor and pretended I was ready to go in on my own. Also, I had purchased a coupe of those spot weld drill bit thingy I saw on YouTube. I heard the welds pop, just like the video, but found the popping was the teeth of the bit rather than the metal being liberated, like in the video... So, any other suggestions that will make this a successful transplant.
Thanks!
Greg
Old 08-21-19, 06:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not an auto body expert haven't done it much, I have seen people use a specific bit for drilling out spot welds. On the factory service manual maybe try this?
https://techinfo.toyota.com/