ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New owner, some maintenance questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-19, 02:51 PM
Algavin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, some maintenance questions.

Greetings all, I already did a general rundown in the introductions thread, but had some specific questions I was hoping for some input on.

In my Acura TL the owners forum has done a lot of industry research, reaching out to fluid and part designers/manufacturers to confirm the efficacy and safety of using a non-standard ATF type and mixture. In basic a mixture which has the appropriate viscosity but lower amounts of friction modifier us used to increase the life of the transmission by giving less clutch drag during shifting. More static friction, less sliding, leads to less wear and a more aggressive gear change. I am wondering if the Lexus community has done anything similar just for the sake of longer transmission life. Otherwise I'm just expecting to go for standard factory fill ATF, which is due currently.

The car is a bit under 90,000 miles, and given it's age, I'm curious when you would all suggest going for the timing belt package. I really took my time with it on the acura, doing it at around 150k, and luckily avoided any issues. I'd like to not wait so long this time around, but don't want to do it 20,000 miles early either.

Overall I'm hoping to see peoples personal maintenance schedule. Not just the official schedule, but what you have seen serve your car well, whether taking longer or less time inbetween any given procedure, including any companies you prefer (Specific OEM for some like NGK for my acura, while others like Red Line or what not for off-brand that does better for some fluids, etc.).

I think that generally covers my questions for now. The car is in magnificent shape, my father in law even did a bit of service on it before handing it over to us as a Christmas present, on top of giving us the car anyway, but it's time for fluids across the board, not long before the 100k service, and I want to have my service schedule down to keep this thing floating along for ages.

Thanks all.
Old 08-23-19, 07:50 AM
Steelfan
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2000 ES300 with 168,800k miles right now. I didn't change my TB until approx. 166,500 mi. Not saying to wait that long but, I had to get the knock sensors done and since I wasn't doing that work myself, I decided to get the TB done while it was in the shop. If it weren't for the knock sensors, I'd have probably opted to not have the TB done based on my cars current age, condition and worth.

I use Mobil One for engine oil and I use Toyota ATF when I change the tranny fluid.
The following users liked this post:
Frankie98 (09-15-20)
Old 08-26-19, 12:19 PM
Algavin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Much appreciate the input Steelfan. I'm not in too much of a hurry with the timing belt, and will probably wait until around that 105 mark then go for it then given the age. It may not have much of a sale value if I wanted to get rid of it, but if it's continued to be taken such good care of, the personal value is significant as it should last a good long time. Another 100k miles shouldn't be hard at all. I will get to those fluids before long though.
Old 08-26-19, 12:38 PM
80es300
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I changed the timiling belt, waterpump, tensioners, etc on my 98 es300 at 145K in 2016 and that too because the front seals were leaking.The belt still looked just fine. I used Aisin timing kit(belt, WP & tensioners) and OEM front seals.
These engines tend to have valve cover leaks, so at that time you can also do plugs, PCV valve, clean the throttle body, etc
The following users liked this post:
Frankie98 (09-15-20)