ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 Lexus ES300 programming key

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-19 | 06:13 PM
Lio
Driver School Candidate

Default 2003 Lexus ES300 programming key

When I got my 03 ES300 it came with only the valet key(the grey one with no buttons) and I finally decided it was time to get another key with a remote. I got the key, got it laser cut, and programmed the remote so that I can lock and unlock the car. The only thing that I can't get programmed is the immobilizer and without that I can't turn on the car. I read immobilizer programming instructions online and they say I can't program the key with a valet key, it has to be a master key. Some say that I'll need techstream to program the key. Can anyone who's programmed a key for an 03 ES300 tell me if it's possible to program the immobilizer on a new key using the valet key? Please let me know

Thanks!
Old 09-14-19 | 03:17 AM
FromFL
Pit Crew

Yes, valet will work. I went through this last week. I have an '04 ES which only came with one cheap aftermarket (valet) key. Valet ONLY means it won't fit the ski-pass and glove box doors. Since I have an '04 ES 330, any this may not be applicable to your ES 300.

I bought a replacement key with remote off of eBay and also the "programing device" they offer. Paid $50 for the remote/key with laser cut. That mythical "device" is a OBD port plug and hacked version of Techstream download. It never worked, the software downloads were all glitchy, a scam. Paid $50 for the remote/key with laser cut. A real version of Techstream does have the option to program keys.

The dealership wanted to charge $140 to program a key. Locksmiths were about the same. I found the best price at Ace Hardware, $50.
Old 09-14-19 | 10:15 AM
AmanES300
Driver

How'd you program it to lock/unlock with only a valet key? I thought that couldn't be down without Master Keys.
Old 09-14-19 | 05:35 PM
FromFL
Pit Crew

I bought a new key/remote unit from eBay and programed it myself for the doors and trunk (instruction all over on line). The transponder (chip) key had to be programed in my case Ace Hardware. The valet key had nothing to do with anything except to drive the car to the location.

The only difference between a valet and master key is physical one, the valet being too wide by a hair to fit into the glove box and ski pass locks.
Old 09-15-19 | 06:58 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Most 03+ Lexus vehicles use a 4d chip. These are programmable onboard, but require either a master key or resetting the ecu to add. If your key is a master you can add keys using either the "pedal dance" method, or Techstream. If you don't have a master you will need to reset the ecu with Techstream. To check if you have a master insert your key into the ignition cylinder while watching the security light. If the light shuts off immediatly when the key is inserted you have a master. If the light stays illuminated for a couple seconds you have a valet.

You can't really tell if you have a master or a valet by looking at the key. Sub keys can be added to the ecu as a master.
Old 09-15-19 | 06:10 PM
AmanES300
Driver

Okay so my generic looking key without any buttons is a master. The light goes off immediately when Inserting it. I used that key to add my eBay fob using the pedal dance, but it's added as a valet key (security light stays solid for a couple of seconds). I've tried every procedure/variance of steps to try and add the fob to lock/unlock the car and trunk, but I cannot get it to work.

I did the open door, insert and remove key, lock/unlock manually 5 times, close and open the door, lock/unlock 5 times again, and then turn the ignition to ON once and then press the lock/unlock buttons on the fob at once. Everything works fine until the pressing on the fob buttons. The door cycles locks when I turn the ignition to ON, but nothing happens after that when pressing the fob buttons.
Old 09-15-19 | 06:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

I have this file on my computer not sure if it will help you or not.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
toyotapostflash.pdf (12.1 KB, 111 views)
Old 09-15-19 | 06:32 PM
AmanES300
Driver

Yeah seems like I'm going to need to clear the ECM. That is speedkar's on DIY Immobilizer hacking correct?

Also, can I clear the ECM with Techstream?
Old 09-15-19 | 06:38 PM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AmanES300
Yeah seems like I'm going to need to clear the ECM. That is speedkar's on DIY Immobilizer hacking correct?

Also, can I clear the ECM with Techstream?
Yes, Techstream is the way to do it. On some like the 05 GX470 you can add remotes with Techstream of you have a master everything is easier.
Old 09-16-19 | 04:46 AM
AmanES300
Driver

Okay great. Last question: will I need a VXDIAG VCX NANO or can I just use a VCI MINI cable?

I ask because I read online somewhere that tech stream supports certain functions and not others depending on the type of device I use. Not sure if any of that seems right.
Old 09-16-19 | 05:27 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Okay great. Last question: will I need a VXDIAG VCX NANO or can I just use a VCI MINI cable?

I ask because I read online somewhere that tech stream supports certain functions and not others depending on the type of device I use. Not sure if any of that seems right.
I use Techstream version 12 with a mini VCI cable. Works great.
Old 09-19-19 | 05:36 PM
AmanES300
Driver

Originally Posted by Mauser
I use Techstream version 12 with a mini VCI cable. Works great.
okay I just added my key as a master but I think something is wrong with my car or vci cable. I only have like 4 options to choose from: Engine, immobilizer, airbags, and trc/abs. Under immobilizer utility, is customize, autoregistration disable, transponder erasure, and transponder registration.

i used registration to add my remote key as a master, but I don’t know how to add it as a remote.
Old 09-20-19 | 05:27 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

okay I just added my key as a master but I think something is wrong with my car or vci cable. I only have like 4 options to choose from: Engine, immobilizer, airbags, and trc/abs. Under immobilizer utility, is customize, autoregistration disable, transponder erasure, and transponder registration.

i used registration to add my remote key as a master, but I don’t know how to add it as a remote.
I don't think you can program a remote using Techstream on your car. Pretty sure you have to do the door lock key thing.
Old 09-20-19 | 06:39 AM
AmanES300
Driver

Originally Posted by Mauser
I don't think you can program a remote using Techstream on your car. Pretty sure you have to do the door lock key thing.
Right. I’ve tried it over 10 times now but I can’t seem to get it working. It goes into programming mode after I do the door thing and set the ignition to ON once. It cycles the door locks once acknowledging that it’s in programming mode, but when I press the lock and unlock buttons, then lock button on the remote, nothing happens. Tried it for like an hour. Nothing. Maybe the remote is the issue?
Old 09-20-19 | 07:25 AM
Mauser
Pit Crew

Right. I’ve tried it over 10 times now but I can’t seem to get it working. It goes into programming mode after I do the door thing and set the ignition to ON once. It cycles the door locks once acknowledging that it’s in programming mode, but when I press the lock and unlock buttons, then lock button on the remote, nothing happens. Tried it for like an hour. Nothing. Maybe the remote is the issue?
The remote is probably incorrect. I had the same problem with my GX and ended up buying the remote key from the dealer ($150). The oem remote programmed first try.

Quick Reply: 2003 Lexus ES300 programming key