ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

prob with headlight and other stuff please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-03, 12:06 PM
George94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry prob with headlight and other stuff please help!

Ok im really getting frustrated first of all the car was a stock 96 so i was on the boards and i saw clearing the corners. I cleared the corners that went well. I didnt like the orange bulbs so i got 2 led amber bubls. They looked good when off but when on they looked pretty weak and they flashed really fast wich i got used to but i didnt like it. So today i got 2 piaa extreme white bubls so that they match teh headlights, on my left headlamp the plastic covering looks really clear like new and the white bulbs look great exactly how i want them and they blink at a normal rate. But the plastic covering on my right one looks horrible and gunky not clear like the other one, so when I installed the white flashing bubls first of all they look blue with all the gunk which is a big problem cause the other one is nice and white(the cops dont like to see blue) So my first problem is how do i get teh gunk of the headlights so the plastic looks clear and the light appears white, also that right side doesnt even blink. The turn signal bulb is on but it doest flash and when i signal to the right hte arrow in my dash blinks fast and so does my tailight only on the right side. The left side works fine and blinks a t a normal rate. What is going on here i need all the help i can get. I am getting sick of taking those headlights out every week. Could it be the holder that holds the bulb, because the left one looks good and the bulb went in and turned nicely, but the right one has that white substance on the metal things and i kinnda had to force the bulb down all the way. Please help!
Old 08-20-03, 12:09 PM
George94
Driver School Candidate

also does anyone know where i could maybye get a new plastic cover? I dont want a whole new headlight unit just the plastic covering.(If i cant find a way to get the gunky look off)
Old 08-20-03, 02:51 PM
snboarder8
Driver

Default Re: prob with headlight and other stuff please help!

Originally posted by George94
Could it be the holder that holds the bulb, because the left one looks good and the bulb went in and turned nicely, but the right one has that white substance on the metal things and i kinnda had to force the bulb down all the way. Please help!
yup, sounds like it's the bulb holder. get some contact cleaner and clean the metal. if that doesn't work, try switching the bulb holder from the left headlight with the right, but don't switch the bulbs also. if the right works fine, and the left one doesn't blink now, it's differently the bulb holder. i had the same problem and called lexus parts department, they sell that part for $13 i believe. i didn't need to order it though, i cleaned the contacts and it worked fine. good luck. btw, how are those PIAA turn signals? they match pretty well? i'm lookin into gettin a pair.
Old 08-20-03, 05:52 PM
George94
Driver School Candidate

where can i get contact cleaner? The turn sigs look great and match my silverstars perfectly they dont look blue just the right whiteness, except for my right headlight they look blue cuase of the gunky look.
Old 08-20-03, 05:54 PM
snboarder8
Driver

any auto store should have it, or some other similar product, also you can try radio shack
Old 08-21-03, 12:41 AM
1loudlex
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

LOL!!! I had the same led bulbs you got and thought they looked like garbage too!!! I took them out and put hyper white bulbs in and it looks better. My lenses are also getting foggy on the outside. I think that it is either from the heat of the hyper white driving lights or the heat from the engine?!?!?! Good luck though..

Adam " Lexist "
Old 08-21-03, 04:47 PM
IneedLexus
Driver School Candidate

The clear headlight covers on my 92 look brand new. Here's the trick....WAX!!! Believe it or not some good hard rubbing with wax and then buffing it off will to wonders. If you you want 3 second results, rub some clear tireshine on them. Sounds crazy? Try it.