ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

new 96 ES300 owner

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-03, 08:04 AM
kyle8744
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 96 ES300 owner

Hello, friends. I'm a 16 year old who just spent most of his life savings on a '96 ES300 with 83000 miles. At $8625, I think I got a pretty good deal, the car was in decent condition except for a few things which ill go over later. A picture of the car is in the link in my sig.

I had a few questions concerning this car:

1) I'm getting 18 mpg, which seems pretty low. Then again, it might just be the way I drive (speeding to red lights and such ) Anything I can do to increase this? New air filter? New fuel injectors? I have been using 87 octane fuel as per the manual, but I think im going to switch to 89 octane after reading a related thread in this forum.

2) Theres a bunch of paint chips on the car, a couple which have started rusting slightly (mostly above the grey cladding toward the bottom). I have bought touch up paint for this and will fix it. My question is, on the grey bottom half of the car, particularly on the front bumper, there are a bunch of places where the clearcoat which covers the paint is peeling off. Can I just use the clearcoat I got for the top half to fix this?

3) The front bumper is bent a little bit. I have attached a picture of this to the post. Any way that this can be fixed?

4) I know very little about modifying cars but I would like to learn. Unfortunately my high school does not offer autoshop. In order to learn a bit, I thought I might do a small, easy job, which I would like to do just for fun and to learn something. I noticed that the light in the trunk does not illuminate much. I would like to install a neon light which would illuminate the inside of the trunk when opened. it doesnt really matter if i screw up because, its the trunk. Is this a very difficult job? Are there appropriate electrical and grounding attachments in the trunk?

Thanks for your time. I await your reply.
Attached Thumbnails new 96 ES300 owner-bumpergap.jpg  
Old 08-22-03, 08:12 AM
kyle8744
Rookie

oh yes, one other thing. Next spring, i would like to get reflective tint on the windows like on the lexus RX suv. Does anyone know the laws in NY state regarding window tinting?
Old 08-22-03, 08:37 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Kyle, welcome to ClubLexus, and congrats on your '96 ES purchase. I must say that is one of the finest ES models out there, in part because I used to own one for many years, and it still exudes the classy luxury sometimes overlooked compared to other luxury cars now in the market

OK, enough of my morning rambling, I'll take a stab at your Q's:

1) Many factors play into the role of fuel consumption, including air filter, tire pressure, and driver habits. Check the air filter and make sure it is clean on the side going into the intake. It is not expensive to replace if you need so. Check your tire pressure and make sure they're in spec on all 4 tires. As far as the type of fuel to run on, stick with 87 for now since you just bought the car. Once you and your ES get well acquainted with each other and on the roads, then you may consider filling up with 89 or 93 fuel. At your next fill-up, you may also try filling in a bottle of Chevron Techron concentrate fuel treatment. That will help clean the fuel linings and injectors, and reduce the carbon build-up. Fuel treatment can be found at Walmart or any auto parts store.

2) For clearcoat peeling, Paintscratch.com recommends "taking the painted surface down to the bare metal, apply primer, then paint and clearcoat to truly fix the problem". So basically, you can't just apply clearcoat over the peeled-off portion and be done with it.

3) It is hard to notice from the picture, but I'm guessing the frame is bent out of shape, causing the front bumper to look like that. You are probably going to need to take the bumper out and repair the frame, but that's a lot of time and hassle. Might be better off taking it to a good body shop or the dealership/service center.

4) I am not well familiar with supplemental lighting in cars, but I have seen well designed fixtures in other Lexus cars. I'm sure a couple of us here will help you out in that area.

5) Here's a description of NY state tinting laws.

Good luck, and once again, welcome to CL!

-Doug
Old 08-22-03, 08:40 AM
kyle8744
Rookie

thanks for your reply! i had one more question. The top of the inside of the headlights is dirty, with a dusty/frosted look. How hard is it to take off the headlight globes to wipe it off? Just from opening the hood, it looks like i have to take off a black plastic piece, which looks a bit difficult....
Old 08-22-03, 08:45 AM
kyle8744
Rookie

oh yeah a couple more things :-) I know, a lot of questions, sorry. The steering wheel is pretty beat up, with the leather peeling off in a couple places. Is it difficult/expensive to get a new wheel? The leather is peeling and ripping and i dont think it could be fixed easily.

Also, the radio antenna motor is broken. I just put it up and it stays up. THe motor runs when you turn the radio on but it doesnt make the antenna go up and down. I tried oiling the antenna but it doesnt help. I know that they stopped using these types of antennas because they broke alot. Is it expensive to get fixed?

Last edited by kyle8744; 08-22-03 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-22-03, 09:41 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

More answers for Kyle...

Headlights

I used to have that "dusty/frosty" look also on one of the headlights of my '96 ES. However, that is settled on the outer surface of the plastic lens, and unfortunately I can't clean and polish it out, no matter how hard I tried. I suggest going with the easy approach first and try cleaning and polishing the outer surface of the headlamp lens with some special plastic cleaner and polish. If that doesn't help, try wetsanding the surface (use extreme caution though). If THAT doesn't work, then you mind as well take apart the headlamp assembly. Yes, the headlamp is held on by 3 black screws and a plastic mounting plate. Just take them out, disconnect all bulb connections, and pull the headlamp in the direction away from the engine.

Steering wheel

I believe it is fairly expensive to replace the OEM wheel, especially from a dealership. I would try to condition the leather steering wheel first and see if that alleviates the peeling. If not, you can go for the cheap solution and buy a steering wheel cover

Antenna

I don't think the motor can be fixed because once it's broken, it's done. So replacement is pretty much your only option. Here's one of many old threads discussing antenna problems.

You'll learn later on that the CL search engine yields a lot of answers to all your questions and concerns. Reading all the old threads can be kind of overwhelming, but just go through the ones with subject headings that are apt, and you should be set.
Old 08-22-03, 02:07 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

steering wheel: have yours releathered by www.americanstitches.com
I have heard nothing but high praise and the cost is only a couple a bills. Far less than a new wheel.

antenna: probably needs a new mast. If you hear the motor whirring, then the motor aint broke. The last few teeth on the stock are probably broke off so the motor has nothing to grab on to. Replacement stocks are fairly cheap and can be put in by yourself. They even come with directions. The is a thread on LOC that details how to replace it and I thought there was one here too.

steviej
Old 08-22-03, 07:53 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rubbing compound on the headlights should work. Rainx does too.

As for the steering wheel, mine has been peeling, so I use a steering wheel cover...
Old 08-22-03, 10:17 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steering wheel: as Steviej suggested, American Stitches. You'll need to find a wheel at a junkyard to use while yours is shipped out to TX, though.

Trunk light: I remember somebody doing that exact mod with adding a neon tube to supplement the weak stock trunk light.

Headlamps: I've had good results with Mother's Plastic Cleaner/Polish on my 96 ES, although my lights were never that hazy compared to some that I have seen pics of.

Bumper: The black piece hanging down looks like the black plastic "scuff plate" that's designed to take the brunt of when the car goes over a high curb, etc, rather than the painted bumper. I'm guessing that the bumper has seen it's fair share of high curbs, and the scuff guard may be peeling back. I don't think the actual metal frame of the car goes down that low.

Clearcoat on bumper: If you're going to use spray, make sure it has a flex additive for bumper use.

MPG: When I lived in a part of the city where I spent a lot of time in stop and go traffic, I wasn't doing much better than 18MPG, either, if not worse. Moving out to an outer suburb with less stop and go, and spending more time on the freeway, I average around 25 MPG on about 2/3 freeway, 1/3 city driving.
Old 08-24-03, 12:34 PM
kyle8744
Rookie

thanks for the advice.

as for the mpg, i live in the suburbs but with the traffic here it might as well be like the city. and i like to do some hard acceleration off every stoplight with a straight road and reasonably high speed limit, so that probably explains it :-)

as for the trunk light, i think im going to try to find a web page with a tutorial on how to do something like that.
Old 08-24-03, 03:59 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Keep us posted on any mods or upgrades you intend to do on your car. We most definitely welcome the eye candy too!