ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

More on Tranny Problem...I Don't Get It

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 10:23 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 424 Likes on 288 Posts
Default More on Tranny Problem...I Don't Get It

I have been following, with great interest, the transmission "problem" thing here. I have an '02 ES300 with 9500 miles. Frankly, I don't get it. doh:My tranny seems fine. I got the recall notice (the dealer said it is NOT a recall notice) but think I will ignore it, at least for the time being. If it ain't broke....

Daryll40:
Old 08-25-03, 11:01 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good plan. I can make my car do it, but I choose to not upgrade the software also.

The dealer is right, it is not a recall, it is simply a TSB for those that wish to have the upgrade performed.
All in the name of customer satisfaction.

steviej
Old 08-25-03, 11:02 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

If you're satisfied with your transmission than by all means, leave it alone! Many drivers aren't as demanding with the transmission performance as some of us. It's a known fact that there are dangerous "problems" with these cars and that's why Lexus came out with updated software to try and correct them. I can reproduce these "problems" if I drove your car! I have done this with over 12 '02-'03ES's that I have driven.
Old 08-25-03, 08:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is this exact problem that you can reproduce, is it the whiplash type mild jerking, gives you like a back and forth motion.

Why do you guys choose to not have the engine control module (ECM) of the transmission reprogrammed, it says it changes the shifting smoothness of the trans, have people done this and not like it
Old 08-25-03, 09:14 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I had my '03 ES re-programmed the first day it was released to the Lexus dealers. I was NOT aware that this update was not reversible. The only thing that it did was to change the shift points when accelerating normally, but it did not address the more important problem of the delay when trying to accelerate from about 40mph. Example: You're on a 2 lane road following a tractor trailer and you decide you want to pass this slower moving vehicle. You than floor the accelerator quicky to try to pass this vehicle in the shortest time possible. The engine RPM rises to close to redline(about 5000RPM) and then finally(after about 2 seconds) it goes into a lower gear. This delay or hesitation makes doing this kind of maneuver very dangerous especially when an instant response should be expected! The transmission acts as if it doesn't know what gear to choose and therein lies the "problem". So far I have been able to reproduce this delay(hesitation) in all the '02-'03 ES's I have driven!
I'm aware that the ES is not a sports car, but under certain conditions it's nice to know that you can get out of an emergency situation as soon as possible. This is why I consider this behavior unacceptable!
Aside from this.......I love the car.
Old 08-25-03, 11:14 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I got that but I pretty much ignore it, that rpm jump to redline and then it shifts, with this car you have to gradually press the pedal and it accelerates, the other 2002 ES owner in the 4 page thread that I read who took his car to prestige said he was very happy with the results Im confused, wish I could drive a reprogramed car
Old 08-26-03, 12:51 AM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

I'm aware that the ES is not a sports car, but under certain conditions it's nice to know that you can get out of an emergency situation as soon as possible. This is why I consider this behavior unacceptable!
What's up All, I'm new to this CLUBLEXUS forum. Anyways, after receiving the Lexus "Transmission Enhancement Notice" in the mail, it was surprising to find on this site that many people have already done it. I've scheduled mine to be done next week at Difeo Lexus in NJ, but after reading the complaints such from amf1932, it seems shady to go.

As for Alan's post on the transmission delay, i totally can relate to that! Once when merging onto a major highway with no acceleration lane, I tried flooring my 2003 ES300 to kick it into overdrive which happened almost 5 seconds late after smashing the petal. An NJ transit bus was barrelling down closing the gap in the right lane, but thankfully the ECM decided to engage a lower gear finally and haul ***.

If anyone else gets it done please post notice ASAP with any new opinions!
Old 08-27-03, 11:23 AM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Originally posted by amf1932
I had my '03 ES re-programmed the first day it was released to the Lexus dealers. I was NOT aware that this update was not reversible. The only thing that it did was to change the shift points when accelerating normally, but it did not address the more important problem of the delay when trying to accelerate from about 40mph. Example: You're on a 2 lane road following a tractor trailer and you decide you want to pass this slower moving vehicle. You than floor the accelerator quicky to try to pass this vehicle in the shortest time possible. The engine RPM rises to close to redline(about 5000RPM) and then finally(after about 2 seconds) it goes into a lower gear. This delay or hesitation makes doing this kind of maneuver very dangerous especially when an instant response should be expected! The transmission acts as if it doesn't know what gear to choose and therein lies the "problem". So far I have been able to reproduce this delay(hesitation) in all the '02-'03 ES's I have driven!
Aside from this.......I love the car.

Sounds to me as your driving the WRONG vehicle for your driving habits.

Here is my point. In that situation do you think a Lexus LX470 would accelerate faster?? If it does not then with your arguement it too, is "very dangerous" in this situation. Moreover, its "unacceptable behaviour".

I bet you the title to my Lexus that a ES300 would blow by the LX470 if you both mashed the pedal at the same time and counted to 3.
I mean think of a really, really slow vehicle like a Hummer H2. Could you file a lawsuit saying "its dangerous" "This vehicle could jeopardize my safety if i have to cut of a 18 wheeler" (NOT A BRIGHT MOVE TO BEGIN WITH) I definately do not think so. If you feel differently , well I wish you the best of luck trying to win that one

If you wish to drive a spiritied Lexus, I suggest a IS300 5-speed, no offense, just my .02!

Last edited by LexDiamond; 08-27-03 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 11:43 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Sounds to me as your driving the WRONG vehicle for your driving habits.
Personally, I think that was a very foolish reply!
In other words, because I want to pass somebody with my ES I shouldn't do that because it's not the proper thing to do with this type of car? How silly & dumb! I didn't have this transmission problem with the '94 ES that I traded in for this '03 ES. That's the whole point of this dissertation.
Back off my friend!
Old 08-27-03, 11:49 AM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Personally, I think that was a very foolish reply!
In other words, because I want to pass somebody with my ES I shouldn't do that because it's not the proper thing to do with this type of car? How silly & dumb! I didn't have this transmission problem with the '94 ES that I traded in for this '03 ES. That's the whole point of this dissertation.
Back off my friend!

You should try not to pass semi's in the first place. That is my main point!!!!!
Moreover, attempting to in any vehicle lacking quick acceleration poses a INCREASED risk

Your ES is designed as a LUXURY vehicle 100%. Back in 94 they tried to combine sport with luxury. The older 92-96 es300 had much better pick up then even my 1997! Lexus tried the luxo sport and dumped it when they came out with the IS300. Nevertheless, Don't take things so personally! It is not a personal attack

Last edited by LexDiamond; 08-27-03 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:08 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

That's the whole point! The engine has more than sufficient HP to do this maneuver. It's not the engine that prevents this, it's the delay in the transmission while it decides what gear to go into!
So you feel that ES owners should all drive in the right lane(driving like an old fart) and never attempt to pass anyone? Am I correct in this assumption?
Old 08-27-03, 12:24 PM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

That's the whole point! The engine has more than sufficient HP to do this maneuver. It's not the engine that prevents this, it's the delay in the transmission while it decides what gear to go into!
So you feel that ES owners should all drive in the right lane(driving like an old fart) and never attempt to pass anyone? Am I correct in this assumption?

No. Now your are making a mountain out of a moehill. Seriously an ES300 is a luxury car its not the type of car you wanna go driving like a maniac in. What I am saying is if you desire better acceleration then a IS300 or GS400/430 would suffice.

Basically,If you drive a vehicle that does not respond very quickly to the accelerator then do not put yourself in harm's way! I would not try to cut off a BMW M5 zipping down the Far left lane in a RX300 for example. It too has plenty of power but its not as responsive as I feel it would need to be, to get in front of a vehicle already accelerating at highway speeds. Like I said before. I am not attacking you personally please stop responding as if I am. I am mearly stating the obvious. The new es300's are slow!

Last edited by LexDiamond; 08-27-03 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:36 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by LexDiamond
No. Now your are making a mountain out of a moehill. Seriously an ES300 is a luxury car its not the type of car you wanna go driving like a maniac in. If you more power at your fingertips then a IS300 or GS400/430 would suffice. What I am saying is if you drive a vehicle that does not respond very quickly then do not put yourself in harm's way! I would not try to cut off a BMW M5 zipping down the Far left lane in a RX300 for example. It has plenty of power but its as responsive as I feel it would need to be to get in front of a vehicle at that speed.
I think I have to agree with amf1932 here.
It's a drive-by-wire car after all. Why can't it be programmed to downshift quickly when the pedal is pressed hard.
I understand that as a luxury car it should engage the lower gear gently during normal driving, but it should be able to consider a fast press on the pedal an intent to accelerate emergently and make a faster downshift.
Old 08-27-03, 12:46 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Seriously an ES300 is a luxury car its not the type of car you wanna go driving like a maniac in.
This is my last post on this subject.

The definition of the word "maniac" = An insane person.

I don't consider anyone that chooses to pass other vehicles on the road a "maniac".

I consider myself to be an excellent, responsible driver, and if I choose to drive my car in a spirited fashion that is my prerogative! I was the President of the Long Island Timing Association many years ago. This club sanctioned, drag racing, vehicle modifications(engine & body), meets(all over the East Coast, and above all, PROPER SAFE DRIVING.
Old 08-27-03, 02:17 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I consider myself to be an excellent, responsible driver, and if I choose to drive my car in a spirited fashion that is my prerogative! I was the President of the Long Island Timing Association many years ago. This club sanctioned, drag racing, vehicle modifications(engine & body), meets(all over the East Coast, and above all, PROPER SAFE DRIVING.
So then you have nitrous in your vains and you live your life a 1/4 mile at a time

Quick Reply: More on Tranny Problem...I Don't Get It