ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Whine from transmission area | 2000 Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-19, 01:26 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts
Exclamation [SOLVED] Whine from transmission area | 2000 Lexus ES300

Hello,

I have a quite peculiar problem in my car - when I just insert the key in the ignition, the whine starts to come from what appears to be a starter/transmission area; it continues for about 30 seconds and then loudly shuts off. Please refer to the attached video.

I've got this car with that issue, hence why cannot give any background information or service history. I am pretty sure that it is not a starter, since I've tested it by unplugging all the wires from it, and it is definitely not a fuel pump, since that noise is not anywhere near it. Also, it is really noticeable that transmission is leaking a bit, but the fluid is in great condition and topped off, transmission works perfectly, shifts smoothly. That is pretty much exhausts my list of ideas...

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Arsenii; 04-25-20 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Issue Solved
Old 12-05-19, 09:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,929 Likes on 2,467 Posts

I don't know what that is, sorta sounds like the evap system but way louder.
Old 12-07-19, 09:35 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

That is the thing, I am pretty certain that it is not an EVAP system, since the only part that I could think of, which could make this sound is located near the fuel tank, but I even removed the seat in order to triple check that nothing is coming out of it. And it also starts literally right from the moment when I insert the key.
The most important part about this noise, in my opinion, is its cut-off sound - it sounds like a powerful relay of some kind..
It really seems to me like it is coming from the transmission, like it is priming something, yet I have no idea what in the world it may be.
Old 12-08-19, 08:30 AM
wmj259
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

This may or not work, but try using a long screwdriver and feeling for any vibration.
Old 12-08-19, 10:57 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

This may or not work, but try using a long screwdriver and feeling for any vibration.
Thanks for the idea!
I wasn't able to pinpoint the noise itself, but I was able to find a relay, which makes that racket at the end - that's an EFI relay; when I pulled it out, that noise went out completely.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Arsenii; 12-08-19 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-09-19, 03:48 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Do you just insert the key when the whine happens, or you turn it to the ON position?

Could it be the fuel pump priming?
Old 12-09-19, 06:10 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

That what I was writing about in the header - the whine starts when I just insert the key; and no, it is not a pump, since the noise is not anywhere close to it.
Old 04-21-20, 02:06 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 232 Posts

Did you ever figure this out?
Old 04-21-20, 02:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

There was another thread where the person had a similar sound turned out to be low on fluid. Also could be oil starvation due to clogged transmission filter.
Old 04-21-20, 07:48 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hayk
Did you ever figure this out?
Not really.. Still in process though.
Frankly, I didn't spend too much time figuring it out, since it doesn't seem like this whine is affecting any of the car's systems, nor throws any errors..

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
There was another thread where the person had a similar sound turned out to be low on fluid. Also could be oil starvation due to clogged transmission filter.
Yeah, I saw that thread, here is a link. With that, I sincerely doubt that it is anything related to a transmission, since it is connected to an EFI relay and fuse, and it starts right when I insert the key into the ignition (without even turning it). Interestingly, I recently found that if I will open a throttle while the car is still whining, the sound will change drastically. It is not related to a throttle cable, since nothing changed when I disconnected it from the throttle body, and it is not a backlash in the throttle, since I do need to actually open it a little for the noise to change.
And speaking of relays - while EFI relay stops the whine and other relays from clicking, the noise in the end is not from it, EFI relay is not nearly as loud. I wasn't able to locate that second relay just yet, but I've got quite a bit of time to spare right now, so I may ask someone to sit in the car and put the key in and out while I will look for a source of the noise in the near future.

Does any other ES300 have that sound of a clicking relay, or it is just my car that makes such racket?

Those are pretty much all my findings for now.. Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Old 04-22-20, 12:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Not really.. Still in process though.
Frankly, I didn't spend too much time figuring it out, since it doesn't seem like this whine is affecting any of the car's systems, nor throws any errors..

Yeah, I saw that thread, here is a link. With that, I sincerely doubt that it is anything related to a transmission, since it is connected to an EFI relay and fuse, and it starts right when I insert the key into the ignition (without even turning it). Interestingly, I recently found that if I will open a throttle while the car is still whining, the sound will change drastically. It is not related to a throttle cable, since nothing changed when I disconnected it from the throttle body, and it is not a backlash in the throttle, since I do need to actually open it a little for the noise to change.
And speaking of relays - while EFI relay stops the whine and other relays from clicking, the noise in the end is not from it, EFI relay is not nearly as loud. I wasn't able to locate that second relay just yet, but I've got quite a bit of time to spare right now, so I may ask someone to sit in the car and put the key in and out while I will look for a source of the noise in the near future.

Does any other ES300 have that sound of a clicking relay, or it is just my car that makes such racket?

Those are pretty much all my findings for now.. Any ideas would be much appreciated!
I've never heard that sound before and I've driven three different ES300s. Have you tried switching the EFI relay with another good one? Also, may be worth check the wiring diagram to see what circuits are active when the key is in the off position.
Old 04-22-20, 07:16 PM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Strange noise... even stranger trigger. I opened the hood of my '98 ES300, inserted my key into the ignition by reaching through the window, and listened... Couldn't hear a thing.

So... is anything in the car other than the security light and the computer behind it designed to react to a mere key insertion? I seem to recall reading about a 20 second timer starting on key insertion, or rather, after inserting that spare plastic key and holding the surrounding card (with the security chip) near the key to extinguish the security light, you'll have 20 seconds to set down the card and turn the key to start engine.

Just brainstorming here on where to look... How does an active security light and the immobilizer prevent the engine from starting (even though a key without the right chip can crank the "immobilized" engine)?

Last edited by BMeek; 04-22-20 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-22-20, 10:10 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

About those 20 seconds - what is interesting, if I just insert the key, the sound will continue for some time and then will shut off, but if I will turn it to the ON position, that sound will not stop, and the relay won't click until I will turn the key to the ACC or OFF position.

I thought that it may be a fuel priming, but when I disconnected the pump, nothing changed. Then I thought about it changing sound when I open the throttle, the only thing that could affect the car when I open the throttle is a TPS sensor. I switched the car to the ON position and disconnected the TPS, and wouldn't you know it, the sound went away a little while after. When I reconnected the sensor, the sound came back. Please refer to the updated video in the header.

I also tried to remove every reachable fuse in the car, and the only one that stopped the sound was EFI. With that, I also realized that there is no Check Engine light when I remove the EFI relay or fuse, which means that it shuts off the ECU, and the issue can still be anything.

Well, now I feel like the car is just playing with me.. I am at a complete loss.
Any ideas would be much appreciated!
Old 04-23-20, 12:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

There is an EVAP check valve that buzzes on my car maybe that's the noise on your car? It happens with key off after I've driven the car haven't noticed it any other time. But don't seem how the throttle could change it? Unless it changes the intake pressure.
Old 04-24-20, 10:34 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

You mentioned it stops when you unplug the TPS. Do you know if the sound is coming from the TPS?

Quick Reply: Whine from transmission area | 2000 Lexus ES300