ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Strut Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 06:31 AM
ProfWilson
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Strut Recommendations?

So I think it is time to replace the struts on my 2003 es 300. I'm going to replace them myself and was looking for a recommendation on a strut.

Rock Auto has quite a few at some competitive prices. I was looking at the "original ride quality" section and see some from Monroe and Moog.

Specifically I'm comparing between
Monroe
Or 171490
Alternatively I could go with Moog
ST8626R
Or
ST8627R

I only listed one strut part number, of course I'll be buying the left/right and replacing both.

Does anyone have experience with these struts? Are they somewhat similar to original ride quality? I don't mind spending 300 for Moog vs 200 for Monroe if the quality is that much better. But as we all know Price≠Quality

I've heard about the kyb Excel G being good shocks too, but the whole compress the springs yourself scares me off a bit.
Old 12-14-19, 07:03 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Bilstein > everything else

be sure to get new springs too.

If you want OEM ride height and quality, get good quality OEM replacement springs. If you get good quality lowering springs which offer a mild drop over stock (like 1, 1.5inch max) that will greatly improve handling with zero adverse effects on ride comfort.
Old 12-14-19, 07:11 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Moisture
Bilstein > everything else

be sure to get new springs too.

If you want OEM ride height and quality, get good quality OEM replacement springs. If you get good quality lowering springs which offer a mild drop over stock (like 1, 1.5inch max) that will greatly improve handling with zero adverse effects on ride comfort.
Will lowering springs, even if it’s barely an inch, cause other parts to wear out faster?
Old 12-14-19, 07:42 AM
ProfWilson
Driver School Candidate

Bilstein > everything elset.

Really? They're that good? i can't seem to find any for this ymm
Old 12-14-19, 08:04 AM
landy
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had good luck with aftermarket complete or quick strut assemblies for any of my vehicles. I installed Gabriel quick front struts on my '02 ES300 and the strut bearings started making noise after not very many miles. I installed Monroe quick struts from RockAuto on my daughter's Ford Taurus and both strut bearings made noise immediately. I had to purchase OEM strut bearings, disassemble the struts and replace the Monroe bearings to resolve the issue. RockAuto declined to reimburse me.

Although more work and expense, it's probably best to avoid purchasing the quick struts and get quality individual struts, springs, and bearings. Using a spring compressor rented from Autozone, you can put them together yourself. It's more work, but doable.
The following 3 users liked this post by landy:
LeX2K (12-14-19), ProfWilson (12-14-19), Synes (12-18-19)
Old 12-14-19, 10:24 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Will lowering springs, even if it’s barely an inch, cause other parts to wear out faster?
If it's a mild drop, no. If its a major drop and you're using the existing factory struts like some kids do to save money, yes. But lowering springs designed for aftermarket struts will work perfectly in tandem together.

Originally Posted by ProfWilson
Really? They're that good? i can't seem to find any for this ymm
Did you look hard enough? don't know what year you guys have - but - https://www.summitracing.com/search/...uts/make/lexus

If you look, You will see Bilstein B6, and B4. B6 are more of a performance option which pair with lowering springs. The ride will be stiff and handling is dramatically improved.

B4 specifies that they are a OE replacement. Will ride mostly like OEM but far better. They pair better with OEM replacement springs, or lowering springs with a mild drop (they must specify that they play nice with OEM struts)

Bilstein is an excellent strut. They last longer and perform better than literally anything else you can possibly put into your car.

If you are replacing your struts, you may want to also add some sway bars front and rear. They will greatly increase handling by reducing body roll with zero effect on ride comfort. In fact, it will make the ride better by tying down the suspension together side by side.

I see people trying to replace their struts all the time, when in reality there are often other suspension components which need to be inspected and replaced, such as control arms, tie rods, bushings if they want the ride to feel like new again.
Old 12-14-19, 10:36 AM
ProfWilson
Driver School Candidate

If it's a mild drop, no. If its a major drop and you're using the existing factory struts like some kids do to save money, yes. But lowering springs designed for aftermarket struts will work perfectly in tandem together.

Did you look hard enough? don't know what year you guys have - but - https://www.summitracing.com/search/...uts/make/lexus

If you look, You will see Bilstein B6, and B4. B6 are more of a performance option which pair with lowering springs. The ride will be stiff and handling is dramatically improved.

B4 specifies that they are a OE replacement. Will ride mostly like OEM but far better. They pair better with OEM replacement springs, or lowering springs with a mild drop (they must specify that they play nice with OEM struts)

Bilstein is an excellent strut. They last longer and perform better than literally anything else you can possibly put into your car.

If you are replacing your struts, you may want to also add some sway bars front and rear. They will greatly increase handling by reducing body roll with zero effect on ride comfort. In fact, it will make the ride better by tying down the suspension together side by side.

I see people trying to replace their struts all the time, when in reality there are often other suspension components which need to be inspected and replaced, such as control arms, tie rods, bushings if they want the ride to feel like new again.

Summit was ironically the first thing that came up. Saying nothing is compatible. I took the wheel off and inspected things, and could get the sway bar to wiggle around a lot. So now I'm thinking it may be that.

Last edited by ProfWilson; 12-14-19 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-14-19, 11:30 AM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I got the same response for my ‘05 ES. “No Results”
The following users liked this post:
ProfWilson (12-14-19)
Old 12-14-19, 12:00 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 348 Likes on 301 Posts

There's a LOT of threads and vigorous discussion on this topic over the last few years; doing some searches will pull them up for your perusal.

If you are mechanical, you also have the option to selectively replace components by disassembling the struts. This can save a bit of money but also make a more reliable assembly IME (and others).

I would not consider Monroe or Moog complete quick struts for this job if you are planning on keeping the car very long. I've seen a lot of people unhappy with those when I was a moderator at TN. I use Moog parts elsewhere but these strut assemblies are not a great product (The coils I have in the back are actually Moog - but not the whole assembly/cartridge). I no longer use Monroe products anywhere...

Last edited by Oro; 12-14-19 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Synes (12-18-19)
Old 12-18-19, 12:12 AM
Synes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do endorse Bilstein Struts. I have them in my BMWs. However, I wish they made struts for my 92 and 98 es300. I used Monroe Quick Struts on my 92 es300 manual trans. Honestly, they don't last.
In less than a year, the struts started to fail. I asked a few lexus owners that used coil-overs. They said the ride was harsh. I asked young lexus owners that bagged their cars. They replied with a sorry face of regret.
Purchase the components separately so that you will know what you will get.
After changing the struts i can only reminisce about the smooth OEM ride I once had.
Cheers