ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Cleared code now VSC and TRAC OFF lights are on

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 07:58 AM
h4jonathan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleared code now VSC and TRAC OFF lights are on

I’m sure this has been covered, I apologize for opening a new thread as I couldn’t find it.

2002 ES300 - I had a check engine light on for the catalytic converter. I bought some cataclean, followed the directions and ran it through the fuel system and then reset the code with an obd 2 scanner I bought at Walmart.

Now after clearing the code the TRAC OFF and VSC lights are on. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with these systems, and the code reader doesn’t show anything about them. I think it occurred from using the cheap obd scanner to clear the catalytic converter code.

When I start the car the vsc and trac lights are off and then when I start moving they come on. Anyone know how to get them off permanently?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Old 01-25-20, 08:36 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 807 Likes on 678 Posts

Hello,

First of all, try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes, it should reset the computer.
If that won't help, visit the local car parts store and ask them to scan your computer, they usually do it for free.
Also, post the code that you've had previously, and the one that you have right now.

P.S. I've never actually used those cleaners, I don't think it will do you any good, especially that quickly. If you catalyst is dead, you need to replace it, no questionable cleaners will save you..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 01-25-20, 08:42 AM
h4jonathan
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for your help, actually the cleaner worked very well and I would highly recommend it if your engine light comes on for catalytic converter code- a $20 bottle might save you $1500 at the mechanic.

Turns out it was a common problem with using non Toyota/Lexus scanners- this is a link to the thread I eventually found.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...vsc-light.html

Anyone else having this issue go to this post and scroll down to comment #10- took me about 5 mins and fixed my problem. Just another ploy to get people into the dealer imo.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-20, 06:49 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...abs-reset.html

The following users liked this post:
Richardsr (01-25-20)
Old 01-25-20, 10:26 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Three main causes of Cat failure

Unburned Fuel...
Coolant Leaks...
Oil Consumption...

Cat Cleaners are bandaid fixes and the CEL/cat code will be bacK.
Old 01-26-20, 07:55 AM
Collegeman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by h4jonathan
Thank you so much for your help, actually the cleaner worked very well and I would highly recommend it if your engine light comes on for catalytic converter code- a $20 bottle might save you $1500 at the mechanic.

Turns out it was a common problem with using non Toyota/Lexus scanners- this is a link to the thread I eventually found.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...vsc-light.html

Anyone else having this issue go to this post and scroll down to comment #10- took me about 5 mins and fixed my problem. Just another ploy to get people into the dealer imo.

Thanks!
I had the exact same problem and also followed the comment #10 and it worked flawlessly. When I push the Trac off button it works as intended. This problem is caused by the cheap obd2 scanner so dont worry. Best of luck!