ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Rear sub modifications 4es

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-20, 05:07 AM
acarapella
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Rear sub modifications 4es

Hey all

I want to but in a infinite baffle (needs no box) 10” in place of my factory sub because it bottoms out and is aging. I was going to use a different amp. I was wondering if anyone here has done this. My question is

can I use the factory sub wires to high-input into the amp, or should I use rear speakers?

if I should use rear speakers, can I grab those wires behind the head unit or does the base model (Non ml) have an amp somewhere?

thanks =)
Old 02-05-20, 05:56 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by acarapella
Hey all

I want to but in a infinite baffle (needs no box) 10” in place of my factory sub because it bottoms out and is aging. I was going to use a different amp. I was wondering if anyone here has done this. My question is

can I use the factory sub wires to high-input into the amp, or should I use rear speakers?

if I should use rear speakers, can I grab those wires behind the head unit or does the base model (Non ml) have an amp somewhere?

thanks =)
ML System has AMP in the trunk.
Premium Sound system has AMP behind glove compartment.
OEM Sub in ES330 is 8in and not 10in.
You can connect aftermarket amp to cables feeding the stock amp. Just make sure the amp you get has High Level inputs. Auto sensing turn on: will turn on sub with radio and does not need remote wire. My go to are tiny Rockford or Kenwood for amp and 8in JL IB Marine sub.
Old 02-07-20, 06:18 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Thank you so much! So grab a high in after the amp, to door speakers, NOT the wire at the current sub? Also, I know it’s 8 but I was going try to Adapt to 10. I am hoping to get a decent amount more base. Been cruising in an rx330 and a Prius (not mine, they’re for sale) and the bass in those is nice enough to make me want more in my car... don’t need to have 2 10s but a 50-75% increase would be great
Old 02-07-20, 07:14 PM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

Thank you so much! So grab a high in after the amp, to door speakers, NOT the wire at the current sub? Also, I know it’s 8 but I was going try to Adapt to 10. I am hoping to get a decent amount more base. Been cruising in an rx330 and a Prius (not mine, they’re for sale) and the bass in those is nice enough to make me want more in my car... don’t need to have 2 10s but a 50-75% increase would be great
Sorry forgot to clarify, you can use the cables that go directly to the stock sub. If you wanna fit 10 in in stock location you will need to expand the hole or it wont fit. That will compromise rigidity and cause vibration. JL 8in rattles things in my car. Will try to upload sound recording,
Old 02-08-20, 06:45 AM
acarapella
Advanced

I was thinking of making an MDF adaptor ring. But, in your opinion, is the JL 8" a substantial improvement? Also, a small piece of dynomat will help.

I am not looking for rap/hip-hop/techno deep bass or anything as I dont listen to those, just more depth to my typically rock music, oldies etc

MANY thanks =)
Old 02-08-20, 11:26 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

I was thinking of making an MDF adaptor ring. But, in your opinion, is the JL 8" a substantial improvement? Also, a small piece of dynomat will help.

I am not looking for rap/hip-hop/techno deep bass or anything as I dont listen to those, just more depth to my typically rock music, oldies etc

MANY thanks =)
I find 8in JL great improvement for simple drop in. The issue with adapter ring is that it will push the sub higher and cause a bump on the panel that covers the sub. I have whole top where sub sits covered with dynomat alternative and i can still make it rattle. I have it adjusted so it doesn't and still feel it through seats and my body. I'm attaching some video files and pic of how it looks in trunk. Wanna listen with good headphones or sound system if you can. Files are only available for week as i don't wanna have issues with copy right.
https://filemail.com/d/xvoylfvubdqhzua
Old 02-10-20, 05:51 AM
acarapella
Advanced

That’s awesome. I meant under the tray with the adapter and sub but you’ve got me sold on an 8”! For someone on a budget, do you think and 8” kicker comp 4om single voice coil is worth while? If not I can wait. I am going to start major surgery on my 1950 Chevy and there are always unexpected costs with that

Old 02-10-20, 09:50 AM
ilkinandr
Intermediate

That’s awesome. I meant under the tray with the adapter and sub but you’ve got me sold on an 8”! For someone on a budget, do you think and 8” kicker comp 4om single voice coil is worth while? If not I can wait. I am going to start major surgery on my 1950 Chevy and there are always unexpected costs with that
I can't tell exactly how well it will play. When I did my research back in the day, sub I got was one of the best for the price. It was IB rated and had large Xmas, which is important for IB. Bigger Xmas allows the sub not to bottom out with so much air behind it. You can solve that by reducing the gain until distortion stops. So you can try it and if you don't like it , return it.
JL Xmas is 14, kicker 8.6.
Old 02-12-20, 08:13 PM
acarapella
Advanced

Wow. Good to know. JL it is thanks a lot man