ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1994 Lexus ES300 Transmission Electronic issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20 | 11:59 AM
marjaz
Driver

Default 1994 Lexus ES300 Transmission Electronic issues!!

On a 1994 Lexus ES 300. Ive had the radiator replaced because they said the transmission is cooled by the radiator and it was time for a new one anyway, The speed sensor on the side of the transmission replaced. still not changing out of 3rd gear. They replaced the top speed sensor, the one that reads the revolutions and still the samel!! Last code that hit was the P0125 The coolant temp sensor. the computer has to read that the temperature is good before it will shift into overdrive or pass 3rd gear. I changed that. They told me if I changed it and if it didnt work to bring it back and they would clear the code and see what it does. I manually cleared the check engine light by taking off the negative battery cable off and pulling the ECU Fuse. I did turn the light off and when I started driving the tac wasnt reading but as soon as the tac popped back on, the O/D light started flashing at me again. Again, with the ECT button pushed in, it will change gears fine up to 3rd and wont shift further. With the ECT button on normal, it revs up in and out of gear and jumps all around the place. So both transmission sensors have been changed and now the coolant temp sensor has been changed. Those are the last three saving graces, Anyone else have an Idea?
Old 02-13-20 | 08:00 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

Is the CE light off right now?
Does the tachometer work? If not, can you see the RPM on your OBD2 scanner?
Did you check the sensors' wiring prior to the replacement?

It seems like your transmission has hard times figuring out its speed, hence where your troubles are coming from, and hence why O/D won't engage..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 02-13-20 | 08:55 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Dude, that shop has no clue what they are doing. Find a transmission shop . Have them drop the pan and inspect the shift solenoids.
Old 02-13-20 | 08:57 AM
marjaz
Driver

So yes, The two that I checked both had the proper voltage. The two that the shop replaced, Im not sure if they checked the wiring on them but they did say that the issues the scanner was telling them have been cleared and that the last one was the cool coolant temp sensor which is the one I replaced. They have the car again today, just waiting on them to give me a call back. Im thinking, the way I cleared the check engine light, isnt the correct way to clear the P0125 code and that they can correctly clear it and it should be reading its speed and all that. Thank you for your response!!
Old 02-13-20 | 09:14 AM
marjaz
Driver

LOL it is a transmission shop.
Old 02-13-20 | 09:18 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by marjaz
LOL it is a transmission shop.
Like find a different one, don't you see that they just replace parts at one's sweet random, it doesn't work like that!
Old 02-13-20 | 09:43 AM
marjaz
Driver

Yea I see, got it, thanks!!!
Old 02-13-20 | 10:20 AM
marjaz
Driver

I understand that they were fixing the things that their diagnostics found. its kind of retarded that during their diagnostics they came to find that the coolant temperature sensor was bad. Why didnt they just replace that like they replaced the revolution sensor LOL? They said they don't do work thats not transmission related!! thats why I looked it up and changed it myself!
Old 02-13-20 | 10:54 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

I understand that they were fixing the things that their diagnostics found. its kind of retarded that during their diagnostics they came to find that the coolant temperature sensor was bad. Why didnt they just replace that like they replaced the revolution sensor LOL? They said they don't do work thats not transmission related!! thats why I looked it up and changed it myself!
That is what's called a bad service..

Also, speaking of P0125 - I also have that code, and it is not as simple as it seems.. At first, I thought that it is there because of bad thermostat, because the car was taking around 20+ minutes to fully warm up. But when I replaced it, the code didn't go away, so I started digging. The Service Manual for my 2000 Lexus ES300 (p.201) states that it could also be related to the bad A/F Sensor.. Don't have much time right now, so will test it later. For now, try following drive patterns to "set" the ECU and see if it will go away..

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Diagnostics.pdf (4.10 MB, 804 views)
The following users liked this post:
marjaz (02-13-20)
Old 02-13-20 | 11:03 AM
marjaz
Driver

A/F Sensor? Do u mean Reset the ECU? I tried that by removing the ECU fuse and then disconnecting the negative and positive cable!!!!! it worked for a but, the check engine light went out. the tac didn't work but as soon as it started working, the check engine light came back on!! so somethin is still goin on with it!!! preciate your advice and help!!
Old 02-13-20 | 11:16 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

By "setting" the ECU or the sensor I mean following specific drive patterns, at which the ECU is "comfortable" to start testing sensors. Your Check Engine light will continue to drive you nuts until the ECU will make sure that new sensor is functional.

As an example, here is how to set A/F sensor:

a. Drive the vehicle at 40 – 55 mph (64 – 88 km/h) for the time described below:
  • If IAT (Intake Air) was less than 50"F (10"C) when the engine was started, drive for 7 minutes.
  • If IAT (Intake Air) was greater than 50"F (10"C) when the engine was started, drive for 3 minutes.
b. Drive the vehicle allowing speed to fluctuate between 35 – 45 mph (56 – 72 km/h) for about 16 minutes.
About A/F sensor - no idea, I just stated what is written in Toyota Service Manual.. Still worth checking though.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Readiness Monitors Setup.pdf (249.1 KB, 124 views)
Old 02-13-20 | 12:21 PM
marjaz
Driver

AAAHHHH I got it so even though the check engine light is on the ECU still has to learn the driving pattern before it will reset itself. Even thought P0125 code is cleared, its gonna pop back on anyway until the ECU learns the driving pattern and then it will allow overdrive once thats learned.

As for the shift solenoids inside the pan, They determined that there is overdrive, it is present. The car shifts gears perfectly, it just will not shift out of third and what is seemingly the problem where the computer isnt sensing what it needs to in order for it to allow the shift into overdrive or 4th and 5th gear.
Old 02-13-20 | 04:28 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

AAAHHHH I got it so even though the check engine light is on the ECU still has to learn the driving pattern before it will reset itself. Even thought P0125 code is cleared, its gonna pop back on anyway until the ECU learns the driving pattern and then it will allow overdrive once thats learned.

As for the shift solenoids inside the pan, They determined that there is overdrive, it is present. The car shifts gears perfectly, it just will not shift out of third and what is seemingly the problem where the computer isnt sensing what it needs to in order for it to allow the shift into overdrive or 4th and 5th gear.
You can go to a local parts store and ask them to scan your computer, they usually do it for free. If the ECU senses a decrease in engine's capabilities, or the "degradation" of the engine (misfires, knocking, etc.), it will not allow the O/D to engage. That is probably where you should be looking.

And also about your tachometer - as of right now, is it working or not. If not, can you pull up the RPM count on an OBD2 scanner?

Old 02-13-20 | 04:34 PM
marjaz
Driver

Ok I got it, The shop still has it, the rpm gauge works fine, it was just when I reset the ECU it didnt come back on right away. It works. as for the ECU, that's probably what is going on with it because it really had me thinking the transmission was shot but now that I know it's simply something going on that the ECU doesnt like, I can continue to replace damaged parts that may be upsetting the ECU.
Old 02-14-20 | 05:54 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Stop wasting your money replacing parts that arent going to fix your problem.. like I said, the transmission shop currently working with your car dont have a single clue with what they are doing. Find another one asap. All you need is a simple shift solenoid replacement and maybe a valve body rebuild. Just throwing parts at the thing isnt going to help.
The following users liked this post:
marjaz (02-14-20)

Quick Reply: 1994 Lexus ES300 Transmission Electronic issues!!