ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Es330 Mode Door Actuator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-20 | 03:44 PM
1CLEANES
Driver School Candidate

Default Es330 Mode Door Actuator replacement

2005 lexus es330

Hi everyone! So I went to replace the mode door actuator and I see there are 3 door hinges that have to line up correctly in the rotating piece kn the actuator. I plugged it in and set it to just straight vent so it would turn to the setting. Then I went one door at a time closing them all and leaving open just the air vents. Everything lined up and I installed it but now the main air vents stay on no matter what setting you have it on. All other settings work correctly, with the addition of the main vent. I'm guessing one of the hinges didnt quite line up. Anyone happen to have a diagram of the way the hinges should look? I've tried researching this topic and haven't found any help. Thank you for any help!
Old 02-13-20 | 07:43 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

It is kind of difficult to understand what you are saying without some kind of visual, like a photo of your current setup..
Did it work before? Are you sure that it was an actuator failure in the first place? Those don't go out very often.

I was able to find this thread, which talks about actuator replacement. It is trickier than it seems, so try taking it off and carefully putting it back on and see if it will fix the issue..

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 02-13-20 | 12:42 PM
1CLEANES
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, that post you referred me to was for an a/c regulator. It only has one hinge. The one I'm referencing is the mode door. The one that controls where the air goes. Feet, vents, windshield etc. I'll grab a lic of the one I'm talking about for better clarity.
Old 02-17-20 | 02:21 PM
1CLEANES
Driver School Candidate

This is the part in which I was referencing. Sorry for the late response. Been quite busy.
Old 02-17-20 | 04:16 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Whew, it was not a trivial task to find any information about it. I have a 2000 Lexus ES300, so I have no way of checking the following information..

It does seem like you shifted your plate a little bit, make sure that it is aligned, try to re-install it, and see what happens. You can also try looking for alignment tabs or something, or you can visit a local junkyard to get a reference. Part Number of this servo is 87106-33210, and it was installed on 02-06 Lexus ES, as well as 02-06 Toyota Camry and Camry Solara. If you installed all the door actuators correctly, that is everything I could think of..

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 02-17-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-17-20 | 04:31 PM
1CLEANES
Driver School Candidate

Cool deal, I'll check my alignment again this week. I think by the way it sounds, the arm for the vents didnt line up so therefore it stays on. Thank you for all your helpful info!
Old 04-19-22 | 10:16 AM
IZAIDI
Driver School Candidate

Any luck with this? I’m having a similar issue.
Old 01-01-24 | 09:08 AM
cqjpboyd
9th Gear

I know this is an old post, but I hope someone is still looking at it.

I need to replace my mode servo motor on a 2006 Lexus ES330.

Air is only blowing from the front windshield vent and the four side dashpanel vents. According to my owner’s manual that would be the “Front Windshield Defrost” mode. No mater what mode I select, nothing changes.

My question is, when I remove the defective mode servo motor, will the three vent levers/pins stay in the “Front Windshield Defrost” position? Are those levers/pins easily moved by gravity or by touching them? If the levers/pins do not move, I should be able to connect the new mode servo motor to the wire harness and select the “Front Windshield Defrost” mode, and the black disk on the back of the servo motor should move into the correct position for that mode. My thought is if I then install the new servo motor, the black disk should be in the correct position (Front Windshield Defrost Mode) to accommodate the levers/pins. That’s assuming none of the levers/pins moved.

Does this make sense?
Old 01-24-24 | 11:24 AM
Texasdeere
Rookie

It's amazing how little info there is on this. Only RX, GS and IS. It must be super easy to find and replace? There are plenty of help videos and pics for the hot/cold pass and drivers side servos but not this one?

I have an 2004 ES and will probably be doing this repair soon. Still seems to work but noisy, I will try to post something helpful here.
Old 01-24-24 | 11:40 AM
Texasdeere
Rookie

This link helps some, I guess it's above or around drivers side steering column area.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...rvo-motor.html

Last edited by Texasdeere; 01-24-24 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-26-24 | 05:54 AM
cqjpboyd
9th Gear

I haven't tackled mine yet. My mechanic quoted me $1200 to replace it. The challenge is getting the pins in the correct grooves.
Old 01-26-24 | 07:17 AM
Texasdeere
Rookie

I was thinking the same thing.

All my servos seem to be going out at roughly the same time. Previous owner had the drivers side blend actuator replaced about a year ago. I buy the car and notice the pass side is out.
I replaced it and three weeks later the Mode actuator starts "acting up" The noises behind the dash are annoying. But I still think I got a good car.

Since this one will be tricky to replace I am hesitant to buy a cheap knock of version of the actuator. I may try cleaning it or buying Toyota.

That quote seems a high. Most dealers sell the unit for less than $200 and I would figure 2 hours labor at most. IDK
Old 01-26-24 | 01:02 PM
cqjpboyd
9th Gear

The quote may be high and I suspect they go at it a different way than we do. I'm 74 years old with a bad shoulder, and getting down on that floorboard under the steering wheel is not appealing. I read where one person built up the floorboard area to the level of the door sill with mats, and then built a platform outside of the door so they would be laying level when they worked. Again, the main challenge for me is getting the pins in the correct position and I haven't figured out how to do that. Until I'm confident I can, I'm not tacking this job.
Old 01-26-24 | 01:18 PM
Texasdeere
Rookie

I took a look under the dash. It's mounted vertically above the driver side blend motor (carpet bulge) which is just above your foot when it's by the Gas Pedal. Not as bad as I expected but it will still be awkward to handle.
Old 01-27-24 | 04:35 AM
cqjpboyd
9th Gear

Good luck! I'll be curious about how this works out for you.

Quick Reply: Es330 Mode Door Actuator replacement