ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2005 es330 check engine code

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-20, 04:00 PM
Meximan100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 es330 check engine code

This is the code i got from my check engine light. How bad is this code and what expenses and work does this ensue? Is this a possible do it yourself job for a basic tool and knowledge type of guy? Please advise
Old 02-18-20, 05:01 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

It is not a trivial job, unless if you have some experience dealing with transmissions, and some special equipment, since you will have to drop the oil pan and and deal with shift solenoids. At first, check your transmission fluid, if it's all good, you would probably be better off visiting a transmission shop to have them inspect and repair it.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 02-18-20, 07:07 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0776

Look underneath common causes for diagnosis. Its usually caused when you dont clean your pan magnet or replace the filter. Ask a transmission shop to drop your pan, inspect valve body and solenoids.
Old 02-19-20, 04:43 PM
Meximan100
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the information. Just another post script. I went and got the code deleted and it didnt pop up for 2 weeks and i just deleted it again and it came on within 20 miles. For educational purpose, im wondering if there is a step by step video link anyone has on a DIY repair for this code. About how many miles can i drive until i do irreversible damage to the car and the solenoids. The car sounds like its running great even though the code is on. Im not trying to push the problem to the side.Its just dont get paid til saturday so im only driving a mile to work and a mile back and keeping it parked otherwise until i get paid and can fix this. I love this car and i have no problem with dropping money on its maintenence. About how much does this repair usually cost?
Old 02-19-20, 06:12 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Meximan100
Thank you for the information. Just another post script. I went and got the code deleted and it didnt pop up for 2 weeks and i just deleted it again and it came on within 20 miles. For educational purpose, im wondering if there is a step by step video link anyone has on a DIY repair for this code. About how many miles can i drive until i do irreversible damage to the car and the solenoids. The car sounds like its running great even though the code is on. Im not trying to push the problem to the side.Its just dont get paid til saturday so im only driving a mile to work and a mile back and keeping it parked otherwise until i get paid and can fix this. I love this car and i have no problem with dropping money on its maintenence. About how much does this repair usually cost?
If your transmission is shifting fine I wouldn't worry too much about it. However if you are noticing jerky, slow, or hard shifting, especially in specific gears at specific speeds, or when cold, then I dont think it's a very good idea at all to ignore it. However if you drive the car carefully at all times and avoid scenarios with hard shifts you'll be fine for now.

If there is a code for solenoids, its already bad. Eventually you will begin to damage the transmission itself, not just the already stuck/clogged solenoid.

It's not a very expensive fix. Call a transmission shop and tell them you want to drop the pan, clean the magnet, replace filter and have the solenoids/valve body inspected. Show them the code.
Old 02-19-20, 06:16 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

If its just a failing solenoid (seeing the code comes up sporadically) , you should not worry on harming anything.
Code pertains to the S4 shift solenoid valve.
This only turns ON when going into 5th gear (OD) <-- if its bad, you'll only get to 4th gear electronically.
Since you only drive a mile, you probably dont notice it.

To replace it, you need to drop the trans pan.
Its a simple "drop and swap" bu if you're not familiar with this job, i sugg go to a reputable shop and have them do it.
Might cause an arm and a leg but OEM part only for me.
I believe this is the OEM part # 35230-33010
Please double check whoever is ordering your part.
You can gamble on ebay or if an aftermarket is available.

The following users liked this post:
Richardsr (02-19-20)
Old 02-26-20, 08:02 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a little more involved than "just dropping the pan". The valve body has to be removed as well since the solenoids are on top of the VB. When removing the VB, remember where each screw goes to since they're all different lengths. And be careful with the valve body gaskets since they're paper thin.
Moisture (02-27-20)
Old 02-26-20, 12:07 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by msekanha
It's a little more involved than "just dropping the pan". The valve body has to be removed as well since the solenoids are on top of the VB. When removing the VB, remember where each screw goes to since they're all different lengths. And be careful with the valve body gaskets since they're paper thin.
If your familiar with the U151e trans, which the OP has, you dont need to drop the valve body to access the S4 solenoid valve.

This valve is a shorty valve (maybe 1.5” in lenght) compared to the SL(1,2,3,T) valves.
Moisture (02-27-20)
Old 03-03-20, 07:28 AM
Meximan100
Driver School Candidate

You are all very smart and very informed and i appreciate this forum and all your knowledge.
Old 03-09-20, 03:59 PM
Meximan100
Driver School Candidate

I took it to a transmission shop in l.a. and they are telling me its not the solenoids and that i need a transmission rebuild. Should i seek a second opinion? The car still shift so smooth and i dont experience any problems except having that check engine light on. Could the hydrolic pressure really be a factor in all this?
Old 03-09-20, 04:41 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

I took it to a transmission shop in l.a. and they are telling me its not the solenoids and that i need a transmission rebuild. Should i seek a second opinion? The car still shift so smooth and i dont experience any problems except having that check engine light on. Could the hydrolic pressure really be a factor in all this?

Get a second opinion for me.
Trans rebuild/repair/replace will cost you thousands of $$$$
Shift solenoid would be way less than that including diag time.

Find a reputable able shop that can access to activate each shift solenoid to shift upon command.
The data can be seen which gear you are on and activate shift UP or DOWN while driving on whichever the user selects to see if the gear actually changes.
I believe Techstream scan tools can do this with the correct software.

Trans shops will most likely sell you a rebuild or replacement.
If its a hydraulic issue, you would have more problems than an engine light.