ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Luggage compartment light

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-20, 07:53 AM
Musta75
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage compartment light

Hi every body
I would like to ask about the luggage compartment light where IT does not work. Please any body have
The soluation
Tnx
Old 02-19-20, 07:48 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 794 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Musta75
Hi every body
I would like to ask about the luggage compartment light where IT does not work. Please any body have
The soluation
Tnx
Hello,

Welcome to ClubLexus!
For starters, what year is your ES? Since I have 2000 Lexus ES300, all the following information is not guaranteed to work on other cars.

Does your trunk lock work? It is responsible for switching on your luggage lighting.

First, check your light bulb. Then, check the voltage between bulb prongs while the lock is opened, and then measure the voltage from Passenger side bulb prong and a bare metal surface - in that case, you should see voltage regardless of lock's state.
If your bulb is good, and you have voltage across prong and the Ground, take off the trunk liner and check your trunk lock mechanism - when the lock is opened, you should have a continuity between lock's contacts and the Ground bolt. When the lock is closed, you should have those contacts disconnected, and you should see the Ground only on one of the pigtail contacts. When you press on the Trunk button, for a split second, the relay switches one of those pigtail contacts to +12V, thereby powering the motor that operates the lock. That is how you can have only two contacts to power the lock and to trigger the light in the luggage compartment. Pretty ingenious..

When the lock is Opened, it will short all of its contacts, thereby feeding Ground to your light.

When the lock is Closed, its contacts will be disconnected from each other, providing no Ground to the light.

If you don't have any voltage at all, there is something going on with the wiring. You can take the light assembly out by pressing on a metal clip, then disconnect the pigtail on the back and check for voltage again.

The metal clip that you need to press to release the housing assembly

I know it sounds confusing, but that is the best I could come up with, so feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by Arsenii:
LeX2K (02-19-20), Richardsr (02-20-20)