ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Can you ID this sound please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-20, 10:54 AM
SkOrPn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you ID this sound please?

Hello again peeps,

This time I am having an issue with my 2001 ES300 that has 180K trouble free miles and has been well kept up, for the most part. All fluids are at perfect levels and fresh good quality, as usual. Not sure how long ago this sound started, but maybe 6 months to a year ago I started noticing a slight whine, or buzzing sound emanating from the engine compartment. For whatever reason my brain thought it was just the cooling fan going bad so I ignored it until it got really loud this past Month or so. Sadly my mechanic, and the ONLY mechanic I trust and grew up with is in the very middle of his House renovation and has put all Auto work on hold (which could be weeks), until they are finished with the House. But I am starting to seriously worry about this issue, so much so that this week I stopped driving it until I know what's wrong. This puts me in a real bind because I have no other car that I can use here (my 94 ES300 is still on blocks), and I am 30 miles from albuquerque, where I work and where my girlfriend lives. So I really need to ID this sound so that I have an idea what to do next please.

So, with all that said I have posted a video on YouTube made yesterday for my mechanic to listen to. He and I both thought it was a cooling fan, however the sound increases along with the RPM, not to mention that this morning I disconnected the cooling fans from the electrical system and the sound is still there, no change.

Has anyone here ever heard this exact noise from their ES300 before? Link below is to a youtube video I made of it.

Last edited by SkOrPn; 03-04-20 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-04-20, 12:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Transmission fluid level is good? Don't be fooled by sound that seems to be coming from a certain area as sound travels making it difficult or sometimes impossible to pinpoint the source. If it was my car I'd check everything external that rotates, power steering pump, alternator, timing belt components.
Old 03-04-20, 08:32 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Wow that’s really bad. It reminds me of how my transmission sounded when it was low on fluid but it was no where near this loud and it didn’t do this while parked. I have to agree with everything mentioned in the previous reply. Take a long metal bar such as a screw driver, pry bar, breaker bar, etc. put one end to your ear and the other end on various components until you get closer to the source.

Hopefully it’s nothing major, good luck and definitely get it checked out by a pro.
Old 03-05-20, 04:55 PM
Coldax
Driver School Candidate

It's belt driven. Alternator/power steering/AC. Even the idler/tensioner. Do you have a really long screwdriver? Use it like a stethoscope - touch the blade to different components and put the butt of the handle to you ear. Don't laugh this is a great way to localize an engine noise.
Old 03-09-20, 07:27 AM
SkOrPn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, all of you were correct in the assumption that it was the tranny. In all my years of owning Lexus vehicles since 94, and many other vehicles I have never experienced this issue before. But when my mechanic Greg finally showed up he instantly told me that my tranny filter was clogged and that the car just needed a tranny service. As sceptical as I was I agreed to have him do the service. Sure enough the sound is completely gone and the tranny seems to shift far better. I didn't even realize that the tranny wasn't shifting all that great until after the service was complete. I guess I just assumed that over the years the fluid services at the local oil change jiffy lubes was good enough. Guess I was wrong.

My 2001 ES300 now practically feels new again, lol. At 188K I am beginning to wonder if this will be another quarter million mile car like my last ES300 was.

So thanks for all the suggestions and sorry that I didn't see these replies sooner. But last Friday he managed to get it in even though he was busy with his own House renovation. I am now happy with the car again, lol.
Old 03-09-20, 10:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Good to hear. To be crystal clear the A140E uses high filtration media filter NOT a metal screen, meaning it can and does get clogged if not replaced on the regular.
The following users liked this post:
SkOrPn (03-16-20)
Old 03-18-21, 07:02 AM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow! I'm glad I read this since I'd swear if my car made that sound I'd be thinking it's a pulley or idler.

Good info (as always).

Glad you got it fixed SkO.
Good gosh, that would've had me freaking out too.