ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1997 es300 LCD display replacement...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20 | 11:00 AM
BMeek
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by turtlepeas
BMeek, I'm in the process of getting ready to replace my stock unit with a double din as well. I was trying to remember and explain the issue with the amp in a thread I started here.
I don't have the experience to have explained it the way you did, but you confirm that even with a perfect install the factory amp won't "work" right and cause all the issues you listed. Can you describe the method you used to correct for the amp? Lexus2000 suggested that I could maybe include it with a line-out, and he also linked me an excellent detailed pinout he did of the amp. I'm interested in either method, but I'd like to avoid installing and re-installing to correct for known issues that I can tackle up front.
I had already seen your other thread and responded before seeing this... If you have additional questions we can follow up there.

I noted that you said you're looking at an Android head unit... I'm a bit of an Android geek as well, and have been splitting my extra pandemic-enabled online time between here and the XDA developer's Android Head Units forum.
Old 05-01-20 | 01:05 PM
JohnOlson
Pit Crew

Well I bought the used eBay replacement stereo that someone here pointed me at and I have removed the old unit and installed the other but it has one different plug; different shape and different prongs in the plug. I guess I will take the units apart and get a look at the LCD screens, see if they are interchangeable.
Any advice from here?
Old 05-01-20 | 02:11 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnOlson
Well I bought the used eBay replacement stereo that someone here pointed me at and I have removed the old unit and installed the other but it has one different plug; different shape and different prongs in the plug. I guess I will take the units apart and get a look at the LCD screens, see if they are interchangeable.
Any advice from here?
The radio from the 1999-2001 ES300 has different plug, that is what BMeek pointed out earlier.
Originally Posted by BMeek
In staying (mostly) stock, here's your other option with that newer unit you're getting for parts... This person installed a 2001 radio in a '97. Clearly more work than the panel swap plan : - ).
With that, I am pretty certain that they should have similar display assemblies. That is what I wrote initially, take the radio apart and replace the screen only.
If that won't work out, your radio came with the connector from a newer car, so follow the guide that BMeek posted for the pinout, and this guide on how to take connectors apart, so that you won't have to cut your old wiring. If that is also not it, just return the radio.

Hope this helps and best of luck!