ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 ES 300 A/F sensor code maintenance help

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-20, 09:31 AM
Cloudyview
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 ES 300 A/F sensor code maintenance help

So i got this es and it was sitting for a while and i just recently got it to run again after replacing some ignition coils and the idlr air control valve, i also had to replace both bank 1 and 2 A/F sensors and the downstream 02 sensor, after those i drove it around for about an hour before code p1150 came on, i cleared it and kept driving to see if it came on and it did with 2 more codes p1130 and p0174, if the sensors are new they shouldnt be faulty right? And the fuel too rich code would just be from the sensors not getting up to temp right? Im not throwing money at it but i do need to make sure i know what it is before i try and buy anything
Old 05-05-20, 12:51 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudyview
So i got this es and it was sitting for a while and i just recently got it to run again after replacing some ignition coils and the idlr air control valve, i also had to replace both bank 1 and 2 A/F sensors and the downstream 02 sensor, after those i drove it around for about an hour before code p1150 came on, i cleared it and kept driving to see if it came on and it did with 2 more codes p1130 and p0174, if the sensors are new they shouldnt be faulty right? And the fuel too rich code would just be from the sensors not getting up to temp right? Im not throwing money at it but i do need to make sure i know what it is before i try and buy anything
You're getting the following codes:
P0174 LEXUS - Air/Fuel Mixture System Too Lean Bank 2
P1130 LEXUS - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1150 LEXUS - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction Bank 2 Sensor 1

Too lean means not enough fuel or too much air.

P0174 LEXUS Possible Causes
  • Intake air leaks
  • Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
  • Ignition misfiring
  • Faulty fuel injectors
  • Exhaust gas leaks
  • Incorrect fuel pressure
  • Lack of fuel
  • Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
  • Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection
P1130/1150 LEXUS Possible Causes
  • Faulty Air fuel Ratio (A/F) Bank 1 Sensor 1
  • Air fuel Ratio (A/F) Bank 1 Sensor 1/Bank 2 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
  • Air fuel Ratio (A/F) Bank 1 Sensor 1/Bank 2 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Fuel pressure
  • Fuel injector
  • Intake air leaks

1. Were you getting these codes before you replaced the sensors?
2. What brand of sensors and part numbers did you use?
3. If the car has been sitting for a while, you may have a fuel supply issue: dirty fuel filter, clogged injectors, clogged fuel pump.
4. I would look at replacing the fuel filter, located under the air filter/brake master cylinder and open up the fuel tank access port under the rear seat to check the condition of the fuel tank and pump assembly.
5. Check for air leaks around the intake tube and throttle body and make sure all sensors are snugly reconnected after all the repairs you've one.
6. Clean your MAF sensor
Old 05-05-20, 01:08 AM
Cloudyview
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hayk
You're getting the following codes:
P0174 LEXUS - Air/Fuel Mixture System Too Lean Bank 2
P1130 LEXUS - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1150 LEXUS - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Malfunction Bank 2 Sensor 1

Too lean means not enough fuel or too much air.

P0174 LEXUS Possible Causes
  • Intake air leaks
  • Faulty front heated oxygen sensor
  • Ignition misfiring
  • Faulty fuel injectors
  • Exhaust gas leaks
  • Incorrect fuel pressure
  • Lack of fuel
  • Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
  • Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection
P1130/1150 LEXUS Possible Causes
  • Faulty Air fuel Ratio (A/F) Bank 1 Sensor 1
  • Air fuel Ratio (A/F) Bank 1 Sensor 1/Bank 2 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
  • Air fuel Ratio (A/F) Bank 1 Sensor 1/Bank 2 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Fuel pressure
  • Fuel injector
  • Intake air leaks

1. Were you getting these codes before you replaced the sensors?
2. What brand of sensors and part numbers did you use?
3. If the car has been sitting for a while, you may have a fuel supply issue: dirty fuel filter, clogged injectors, clogged fuel pump.
4. I would look at replacing the fuel filter, located under the air filter/brake master cylinder and open up the fuel tank access port under the rear seat to check the condition of the fuel tank and pump assembly.
5. Check for air leaks around the intake tube and throttle body and make sure all sensors are snugly reconnected after all the repairs you've one.
6. Clean your MAF sensor
no before i replaced the sensors the codes that popped up were for misfiring in cylinders 1 and 5 and i hope its not like a part of the harness thats shorted wouldnt that be like a worst case scenario? Ill try looking at the intake and the connections cuz ive taken the intake off a couple of times, for the fuel filter does the tank need to be empty?
Old 05-05-20, 12:05 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 232 Posts

no before i replaced the sensors the codes that popped up were for misfiring in cylinders 1 and 5 and i hope its not like a part of the harness thats shorted wouldnt that be like a worst case scenario? Ill try looking at the intake and the connections cuz ive taken the intake off a couple of times, for the fuel filter does the tank need to be empty?
For the fuel filter, no the fuel level doesn't matter. You'll get a few drips when you unhook the line but it's nothing major, I recommend removing the driver side wheel to get better access to the bottom fo the filter where the fuel line screws in.
Also opening up the fuel tank is pretty straight forward too. There is adhesive holding the top access cover on, then a few fuel/vapor lines, an electrical connector, some 8mm bolts, and a lock ring.
How long has it been sitting and how many miles are on the car?
Old 05-05-20, 12:18 PM
Cloudyview
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Hayk
For the fuel filter, no the fuel level doesn't matter. You'll get a few drips when you unhook the line but it's nothing major, I recommend removing the driver side wheel to get better access to the bottom fo the filter where the fuel line screws in.
Also opening up the fuel tank is pretty straight forward too. There is adhesive holding the top access cover on, then a few fuel/vapor lines, an electrical connector, some 8mm bolts, and a lock ring.
How long has it been sitting and how many miles are on the car?
been sotting for like 2 mo tha at a time at the longest and its got 198k,
Old 05-05-20, 12:36 PM
Cloudyview
Driver School Candidate

Also, driving it to the corner store it seems to run fine but i cant get it past 3500 rpm when it starts sounding like a sprinkler but sucking in, almsot like a turbo but it stalled the engine
Old 05-07-20, 02:19 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 77 Posts

What brand did you install and where did you buy them? If you say Bosch or Denso from eBay or Amazon, chances are high you need to replace the new sensors.