ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to perform zero point calibration on ES?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 05:34 PM
omee
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to perform zero point calibration on ES?

Hi All,
I have an 02, ES 300 with 275K km (170k Mi)
A couple of days ago I ordered a new OBD2 Bluetooth reader from ebay. As soon as I connected it, the VSC and TRAC OFF lights lit up. No ABS or Check Engine lights.
I scanned the codes from the mechanic's reader, No DTCs, only a code for C1336 Zero Point Calibration Yaw Rate Sensor Undone
He told me to look online on how to perform the calibration as his reader cant calibrate it.

I found many videos which show using a paper clip short the TC and CG pins to calibrate it. I tried performing the same calibration however I see that the ABS, VSC and cruise lights flash (Trac OFF) stays off. The VSC and TRAC OFF lights lit up when i start the car and drive (after disconnecting the paper clip). I have attached the schematic that I am using to short the pins.

Any help or advice on how to calibrate the sensor? I could not find anything specific to the ES model.
Thanks

Old 07-27-20, 11:15 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 808 Likes on 679 Posts

Hello,

Can you describe the procedure you are following?
I have a 2000 Lexus ES300, and here is the procedure that worked for me:
  1. This is vital for the whole procedure: make sure that the vehicle is on a fully leveled surface (up to 1 degree). Then, make sure that wheels and the steering wheel are completely straight, the vehicle is in Park (Neutral for manual), and that the e-brake is applied. Do not vibrate, shake or tilt the vehicle in any way during the procedure.
  2. Disconnect the battery for a few minutes, and then re-connect it.
  3. Get two paperclips and insert one of them in CG pin (pin 4*), and the other one in TS pin (pin 13*) of your OBD2 port.
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, without starting the car.
  5. Within 8 seconds, connect and disconnect your paperclips 4 times or more. After that, your ABS light should start blinking.
  6. Wait a couple of seconds to confirm a steady blinking light and then switch the ignition OFF.

Now you have successfully erased the old calibration data. Follow next steps to record a new one:
  1. First step is the same, make sure that the vehicle is leveled. Ensure that the ignition is OFF
  2. Connect both of the paper clips, and while holding them, turn the ignition to ON position, without starting the engine. While holding paperclips, you should see the ABS light flashing again, but in a different manner.
  3. Wait a couple of seconds to confirm a steady blinking light and then switch the ignition OFF.
  4. Disconnect and remove your paperclips.

Now you have successfully programmed a new calibration information to your ECU. To confirm it, go for a ride, drive the car for at least 15 minutes in a start-stop traffic.

If nothing else, I would suggest you to either visit a specialized shop, or invest in a MiniVCI cable, which should be capable of performing a Zero-Point Calibration.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-02-20 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Correcting an error
Old 07-29-20, 05:13 PM
omee
Rookie

Thanks Arsenii for your reply
I was following this video on how to do it -

I was basically starting from the 2nd part because I had assumed that the calibration is erased, however after trying it, I was not getting the ABS light to change its flashing pattern. The VSC light goes from flashing once every second to once every 3 seconds.

I then tried the method from scratch i.e erasing the calibration and then attempting to calibrate again. I could not get the ABS light to flash in step #5. Only the cruise lights up when I connect the pins.

I suspect that the pins I am using are incorrect. Can anyone confirm that the pins in the diagram above are correct for my 02 ES?

Thanks
Old 07-29-20, 08:25 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by omee
Thanks Arsenii for your reply
I was following this video on how to do it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvtwFVT1Q10

I was basically starting from the 2nd part because I had assumed that the calibration is erased, however after trying it, I was not getting the ABS light to change its flashing pattern. The VSC light goes from flashing once every second to once every 3 seconds.

I then tried the method from scratch i.e erasing the calibration and then attempting to calibrate again. I could not get the ABS light to flash in step #5. Only the cruise lights up when I connect the pins.

I suspect that the pins I am using are incorrect. Can anyone confirm that the pins in the diagram above are correct for my 02 ES?

Thanks
Are you only getting Cruise Control light to light up each time you short the clips together? I didn't have an OBDII diagram for my ES, so I had to resort to some scientific trial and error method. While doing so, I tried shorting pins 4 and 12 (instead of 4 and 13), and that was exactly what I was getting - Cruise Control light coming on each time I shorted those.

With that said, you can try to use pin 12 instead of 13, but you are on your own there, I am not sure if it is a good idea, and I am not recommending it, you may end-up frying your ECU. The safest way to do it will be to visit a shop with specialized equipment, or get a MiniVCI cable.

Old 08-02-20, 06:45 PM
omee
Rookie

Hi Arsenii,
looks like your and my guess was correct. I was indeed getting the cruise light to blink when I shorted the pins.

After some digging I found an old thread for an RX 300 showing different pinouts than the one I posted above. It was confirmed by someone with a 03 ES 300.

The lights are now off! I was one pin out.

I have attached the correct pinout for the 02 ES 300 (and 2001 RX 300)

Old 08-02-20, 07:27 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by omee
Hi Arsenii,
looks like your and my guess was correct. I was indeed getting the cruise light to blink when I shorted the pins.

After some digging I found an old thread for an RX 300 showing different pinouts than the one I posted above. It was confirmed by someone with a 03 ES 300.

The lights are now off! I was one pin out.

I have attached the correct pinout for the 02 ES 300 (and 2001 RX 300)

Huh, having said that, I looked for a service manual for a 4th-gen ES, and found a introduction page that showed this exact pinout. At least now I know what to look for next time.. That service manual can be found here.

In any way, thank you for the follow-up, that is something good to know.

EDIT: Wait a second, I think I now know what the issue is - the first time I did a Zero-Point Calibration, and this time, I confused Tc and TS terminals! That is why we both were getting Cruise Control light to flash.. Your first diagram precisely shows Tc terminal, and not TS, hence why the same manual also has a correct pinout.. That was one really dumb mistake...

Live and learn, to die a fool...

Last edited by Arsenii; 08-02-20 at 08:01 PM.